Don't You Dare

Uncovering Lost Love

Pub Date 24 May 2022 | Archive Date 24 May 2022

Talking about this book? Use #DontYouDareBook #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Hidden wedding photos, an awe-inspiring secret, and a seven-year journey to find out more about her grandmother and the woman standing next to her dressed as the groom.

Don’t You Dare weaves together a current-day journey of discovery and an incredible true-life love story that took place over a century ago. The story starts when Gayla Turner discovers hidden wedding photos, dated June 8, 1915, and learns her grandmother had a secret.

While researching her grandmother’s past, a love story emerged between her and the mystery woman in the photos. Gayla uncovers a secret lesbian social club that was formed in the early 1900s by a local businesswoman in the little Wisconsin farm town. Women from as far away as Chicago traveled to attend her exclusive parties. The local townspeople assumed the parties were for single young ladies to talk about how to find a husband. Little did they know, finding a man was not a subject of their conversations.

Her grandmother left just enough information that only someone who understood her secret life would be able to uncover the hidden story she left behind. That person turned out to be her granddaughter, Gayla. Written to educate, entertain, and inspire members of the LGBTQ+ community, it sheds light not only on our history but the future before us.

Don’t You Dare weaves together...

A Note From the Publisher

Gayla is available for interviews, contributed articles, guest posts, Q&As, and expert commentary.

Marketing Plan

Social media outreach

National media campaign including television, print, radio and online coverage

ARC distribution campaign

Digital marketing/publicity campaign

Review campaign targeting media, Amazon and Goodreads...

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Living history about a relative. A picture spurs the authors quest to find out more about her grandmother and the life that she lived. I found the story extremely fascinating. They say through understanding the past we can understand ourselves and I think that’s true in this novel. I loved this book!

I really enjoyed this book and her look into her family history. Since there was no preface in the ARC I was a little unclear at times how much of it was fictionalized or how much she had found written accounts detailing events.

My favorite quote I highlighted was:
“Of course my inquisitive, well-meaning heterosexual friends would inevitably ask ‘when did you know you were gay?” I tried putting things in perspective by asking them, ‘When did you know you were straight?”

A very intriguing and enjoyable book! I loved the format of the book, and it was very fascinating to see her learn about her family history.