Cocoon

Pub Date 04 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 04 Oct 2022

Talking about this book? Use #Cocoon #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this literary thriller, two friends, born in the 1980s, seek to understand the experiences of their parents and grandparents during one of the most turbulent periods in Chinese history and the terrible crime that connects their families.

Cheng Gong and Li Jiaqi go way back. Both hailing from dysfunctional families, they grew up together in a Chinese provincial capital in the 1980s. Now, many years later, the childhood friends reunite and discover how much they still have in common. Both have always been determined to follow the tracks of their grandparents’ generation to the heart of a mystery that perhaps should have stayed buried. What exactly happened during that rainy night in 1967, in the abandoned water tower? Zhang Yueran’s layered and hypnotic prose reveals much about the unshakable power of friendship and the existence of hope. Hers is a unique fresh voice representing a new generation of important young writers from China, shedding a different light on the country’s recent past.

Marketing Plan

Written by China’s most accomplished young female literary celebrity

Zhang’s is the voice of the post-eighties generation of Chinese youth

An upmarket literary thriller and novel of friendship

Explores the generational gap in China and lasting effects of the Cultural Revolution on modern families

Advance galleys and digital reader copies

Digital assets including trailer & author & translator video

Zhang’s is the voice of the post-eighties generation of Chinese youth

An upmarket literary thriller and novel of friendship

...

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I didn't know what to expect from this book but I really enjoyed it, although it wasn't an easy read. It was well written with well developed characters and a storyline that was compelling with a dual narrative that kept me gripped until the end.

One word to describe this book is that is challenging. It explores friendship, death and generational trauma in a very intriguing way. Narrated by the two characters looking back at each other’s version of their family history that is bound by an incident, it kept me on the edge as to how it would end.
After finishing the book, I find myself looking for the meaning of ‘Cocoon’. Google says in Chinese,it means ‘a protected place’. I guess Jacqui and Gong had cocooned their version of their family history.

*Thanks to Net Galley and World Editions for allowing me to read and review an ARC (for the english translation)of this book.

review link: