What She Said

6 (Detective Karen Hart)

Pub Date 24 May 2022 | Archive Date 07 Jun 2022

Talking about this book? Use #WhatSheSaid #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Can DS Karen Hart rely on the word of a little girl to save the life of a woman in grave danger?

When a woman is abducted from a quiet suburban street and bundled into the back of a white van, the only witness to the crime is a child with a reputation for telling tall tales.

The police doubt the girl’s story, except for Detective Karen Hart, who is determined to follow her instincts—perhaps because the shy little girl reminds her of the daughter she’s still grieving.

When a playing card is found at the scene, Karen finds her first clue. And when a second card is found at the home of a missing woman, Tamara, Karen finds her victim. But before the team can catch their breath, another woman linked to Tamara is snatched. And then a body turns up in a farmer’s field.

With the crimes having escalated from kidnap to murder, Karen must unlock the killer’s calling-card code before any more victims are taken. But getting to the truth isn’t going to be easy when Tamara’s family has so much to hide…

A Note From the Publisher

Born in Kent, D. S. Butler grew up as an avid reader with a love for crime fiction and mysteries. She has worked as a scientific officer in a hospital pathology laboratory and as a research scientist. After obtaining a PhD in biochemistry, she worked at the University of Oxford for four years before moving to the Middle East. While living in Bahrain, she wrote her first novel and hasn’t stopped writing since. She now lives in Lincolnshire with her husband.

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781542036252
PRICE €4.99 (EUR)

Send to Kindle (MOBI)

This was a great addition to the series. I have enjoyed the previous books and was looking forward to reading this. I was not disappointed and am looking forward to reading more.

When a young child sees a woman being abducted and bundled into a van, nobody is sure if it really happened - the young girl is known for telling lies. However Detective Karen Hart feels like the girl is telling the truth, perhaps because she reminds her of her own daughter who she is still grieving for. Soon a missing woman is reported and it becomes clear that the team must do all they can to find the missing woman and solve the mystery as fast as possible.

Another brilliant entry to the Karen Hart series. Thrilling and full of secrets, lies and twists. Loved it!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advance copy of the book in return for my honest feedback.

This book was sent to me electronically for review…thank you Netgalley. The protagonist is trying to solve a murder mystery…missing women…she has so many others telling her what to do that it gets in the way of her investigation…the characters in this book are so alive that it seems as if the story is true…from the little girl, the witness, to the husband hiding something. This author has written a can’t put down novel. Who did it? Why? Will that person be caught? So many red herrings…many clues…a puzzle to determine the ending…don’t miss this book by a talented writer.

Firstly thank you Netgalley for this ARC

What a brilliant mystery full of suspense and a brilliant page turner

Good book! This book had suspense, intrigue, action and great police work! I definitely enjoyed reading this one! I will recommend reading it! It was well worth reading! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!

It was a great mystery. I couldn’t have judged the murderer at all. The writing style was quite unique and I loved how the story was presented. The ending was one of the most satisfying ones I’ve ever read and it’s one of the best books of 2022 for sure

5 stars!!!

This is the sixth novel in the Detective Karen Hart series by author D.S Butler. I really enjoy this series, great characters, exciting plots and so well written make this a must read for all fans of police procedurals.

A young child is known as a storyteller witnesses a woman being abducted through the window of her family home. The woman is bundled into the back of a white van and driven off. Both the police and her mother have doubts about her story and it is only when Detective Karen Hart hears it that it is given any credence. A playing card is found down the drain close by to where the abduction occurred and again only Karen show any interest. When a second card is found at the home of the missing woman it enforces what Karen already suspected, that it was left by the abductor. Shortly after discovering the identity of the missing woman is Tamara another victim is snatched who just happens to be linked to her. When a body turns up in a farmer’s field the crime is escalated to a murder enquiry.

Fast paced police procedural novel that is well written and makes a very entertaining read.

I would like to thank both Netgalley and Amazon Publishing UK for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Detective Karen Hart and her team are investigating the abduction of a woman who was grabbed off of the street and thrown into a van. The initial report was delayed, as the only witness was a young girl with an active imagination. But luckily Karen believed her and pushed everyone to treat it like a crime from the start. She turns out to be right when a local woman is reported missing by her husband. Although he seems distraught, the team believe he's hiding something, due to his defensiveness and odd behavior.

Good thing they have a consultant on hand - Dr. Michaels, an expert on serial killers (or so he believes) from America. Karen can't stand him but Detective Constable Sophie Jones is infatuated. After meeting him and his assistant after attending one of his talks, he is invited to visit their station and offer his opinions on their current case. Karen had tried to prevent him from doing so but was overruled by her superiors. So he tags along on visits to family and friends of the woman who was taken and critiques any interrogations the police have with suspects. He might end up being more of a hindrance than anything, but the team tries their best to consider his opinions. His assistance doesn't stop another woman from being taken, though, and Karen knows the team will need to work harder than ever to catch the culprit before any more women disappear.

There's a lot going on in this story, plenty of suspects and abrasive characters on all sides of the investigation. You'll find yourself wondering who the good guys really are, and the reveal of who was behind the crimes is unexpected. I love any type of surprise and this one was great - proof of why this is a series you can't miss.

The first book in months I finished in one sitting. This is the sixth installment in the Det. Karen Hart series and I was certainly not disappointed. If you love domestic thrillers, top notch writing, and great police work, this is the book for you! Kudos to D.S Butler for a brilliant novel!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me this copy to read and review.

Nobody believes the young girl who claims to have witnessed an abduction. Karen Hart does though, possibly as she reminds her of her own young daughter. With two women missing can Karen and her team solve the crime?

I really enjoyed this and have enjoyed the whole series. The characters are really likeable and work well as a team.

Lots of suspense and red herrings. I had my own theory of whodunnit- completely wrong but I still didn’t see the ending coming.

5 stars, I highly recommend!

Compelling, twisty and unpredictable, I couldn't put it down, I read it in one sitting and it kept me guessing until the very end. I really enjoyed it.

Excellent read, it kept me interested all the way through, characters are full and interesting, liked the author and I'm now interested in her work. I haven't read the series and this book can be a stand alone if it weren't for a couple of hints here about DS Hart's past, now I'm off to read them all. It was a good mystery with a good ending, I'm now a fan of DS Butler. Thank you NetGalley

I received an ARC of, What She Said, by D.S. Butler. Such an intriguing read. The only witness is a child, can the investigators trust her, before someone else dies? Such a good read.

Another great read in the d.s. Karen hart series. A woman is abducted in broad daylight her name is Tamara, theres a witness in molly who is 5 years old, and likes to make up stories. Is molly telling the truth? Does d.s. hart believe her?.A second woman rachel, who is tamaras sister is abducted. Who is doing this? What is aiden tamararas husbands secret? This drew me in from the 1st page, twists galore,love the story, highley recommend

The characters in What She Said by D. S. Butler felt like old friends. I really enjoyed reading this installment. There were good red herrings and lots of characters to have me guessing about the mystery. The book is well written, and the author has a nice writing style that kept me engaged.

I would definitely recommend this book, and I will read more from this author.

#WhatSheSaid #NetGalley @AmazonPub

Yet another great police procedural in a long line of great books by this author.
This story had so many twists I couldn't help but read this in one sitting.
Amazing work as usual

This was my first in this series, so playing catch up so it would probably have been better to have read the previous books. But given that it was an enjoyable read and a pleasant way to spend the afternoon. Not going to say much about the plot etc as will give things away but all in all a good read.

I was given an advance copy by netgalley and the publishers but the review is entirely my own.

I have only read one of this author's books before and this was great. i will have to hunt out the rest of the series. Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to review

Dr Michaels is a serial killer expert from Virginia in the USA. He has just given a lecture that DS Karen Hart and DC Sophie Jones attended.

A little girl named Molly McCarty is looking out her window on a rainy morning and sees a woman pulled into the back of a white van. Molly is almost 5 and is known to exaggerate the truth. Can they believe her?

The missing woman is identified and the search is on for her. Soon another woman is kidnapped and there may be a parallel to one of Dr. Michaels old cases, so he consults. Will they find the victims in time?

This is my first book by this author. There was a good mystery. Although I am just stepping into the series,it was pretty good.

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

Although this is book 6 in the series and I haven’t read any of the others I liked the sound of it so thought I would try it. The only witness to an abduction is a 4 year old child but the police have to work out if she is telling the truth or not. Quite unpredictable and a good solid storyline that kept me engrossed. A great read and I will definitely look to read the rest of the series from the beginning.

4⭐️
Firstly, thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for the E-ARC of What She Said by D.S. Butler. The below is my honest opinion!

This is the sixth installment of the Decetive Karen Hart series. I have not read the other books and easily was able to get into the story and get to know the characters.

Summary: A woman is abducted in broad daylight in a peaceful neighborhood, the only witness: a 6 year old girl. Can DS Hart trust the girl who’s known for making up stories? When another woman goes missing and then a body turns up, DS Hart & the rest of her team need to solve the case fast in hopes of finding the killer and other woman.

This book was well written, easy to follow and full of plot twists/turns. I had a number of suspects throughout the book and none of them ended up being who I thought. I really enjoyed the world of DS Hart and will be reading more of the series as well! I highly recommend this book (and series) to those who love a page turning mystery/suspense whodunnit.

These books in the Detective Karen Hart series are great, D S Butler has written another great book, A young girl sees a woman abducted but her mother has doubts as to wether she is telling the truth, but detective Hart feels differently then another woman gets abducted a clue that these crimes are connected is a playing card found at both the scenes, This is a book with lots of secrets twists and turns and of course lies absolutely loved this book

I would like to thank Netgalley and Amazon Publishing UK for an advance copy of What She Said, the sixth novel to feature DS Karen Hart of Lincolnshire Police.

A woman is abducted from a residential street in Lincoln perhaps, with the doubt stemming from the credibility of the only witness, a four year old with an active imagination. Karen is inclined to believe the child and the discovery of a playing card at the scene convinces her. A second identical card found at the home of missing woman Tamara Lomax confirms the abduction theory and the victim’s identity. Then a body is found.

I thoroughly enjoyed What She Said, which is a straightforward police procedural with plenty of twists and turns. By straightforward I mean that the investigation progresses logically and there is little in the way of subplot or personal drama. The emphasis is almost wholly on the investigation, just as I like my reading.

The novel held my interest throughout with unexpected developments and, to my mind, several suspects, although Karen has the victim’s husband, Aiden, firmly in her sights, because, if he’s not lying, he’s definitely withholding information. It develops well with each little bit of information adding to the picture and making the theorising more specific, although the theorising is redundant when routine police work uncovers the answer. Some of the answer is a surprise, but much of it is easy to surmise before the final showdown. Not that guessing the broad brushstrokes in advance spoiled my enjoyment of the novel as there were still the unexpected events.

The novel is very much the Karen Hart show. She drives the investigation and is involved in much of the action. A profiler is brought in to assist and the tension ratchets up as they don’t initially agree on much, if anything. Cross Karen at your peril.

What She Said is a good read that I have no hesitation in recommending.

This is a great series, and it keeps getting better and better. A woman is abducted in front of a girl who tells tall tales and Detective Karen Hart needs to find out if it’s true. If so, who’s the victim. This time, Sophie’s hero Doctor Michaels is there to help. But could he be involved in it, somehow? There was a playing card at the crime scene, and he just wrote a book about a similar case. Or could it be the husband, who’s acting strangely? The plot was suspenseful and I really had no idea whodunit. The team of detectives have great chemistry, even with DCI Churchill, who is new to his position as their boss. It’s a fast-paced read and impossible to put down.
I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thank you, #NetGalley/#Amazon Publishing UK!

What She Said is the sixth in the Detective Karen Hart series, though it was easily read as a standalone. This was a police procedural without any of the “extras.” You get very little into Karen’s personal life or interpersonal relationships outside of work. There are some moments the plot follows some of the other detectives, and we get a smidge more non-police work there. This is really up to the reader if it’s the type of procedural for you - although I overall enjoyed the pacing, story and writing I found myself missing some of that personality subtext, or side plot to enhance the depth of the story. However I liked it enough I would go back at start the series from the beginning.

Another really good book in this great series. This is well written and if you like murder mystery who dunnit books then this one is definitely for you.

Another enthralling book by D.S. Butler that I thoroughly enjoyed reading and would recommend to anyone who loves a good thriller which keeps you guessing to the last page. It features D.S. Karen Hart and her team solving the crime of an abducted woman.

Great addition to the Karen Hart series about a woman who is abducted. Really liked the character that was introduced, an American profiler would be great to be in more series. A great read with a fabulous plot and reveal!

I didn't realise this was part of a series so I'll definitely be looking to explore the rest! As for this one, it really does well as a stand alone for those like myself who haven't read the rest of the books 1st. I loved the premise and thought it was really unique and it kept me engaged throughout. It was very procedural and fucused mainly on the technical aspect of the investigation and didn't do too much to delve into the characters personal lives but that might have bn built up in the previous books already. It would have bn nice to get more of a feeling for who the characters were and not just to have bn so focused on solving the crime, ignoring the characters that were solving it

Thank you to #NetGalley for my advance copy of #WhatSheSaid by DSButler
When a small girl looking out of the window is the only one to see a lady being kidnapped no one know wether to believe her until Tamara is reported missing. The team have nothing to work on and are searching for her when a body is found, but to not her.
Twists and turns on every page and the whole thing complicated by a visitor who is determined he is right.
This is the sixth book in the DS Hart series but the first one I have read. This did not affect my enjoyment of the book. Although previous happenings in the previous books were mentioned, this book worked well as a standalone.
A Great Read.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was an excellent page turner that I couldn’t put down.

DS Karen Hart and her team are called in when a child appears to have witnessed a woman being abducted off the street. An already difficult case is made more complicated by internal politics and lying witnesses.

I really enjoy this series and especially like the main characters of Karen and her colleague DC Rick Cooper, although we didn't get to see a lot of him in this book. I have mixed feelings about DC Sophie Jones. She is becoming a good detective and supports DS Hart well, but her overeager attitude and immaturity can be annoying.

Overall, I like how this team works together to solve the case. This book focuses on the investigation while some of the prior books go into more depth about Karen's personal life. The case in this book is completely separate from the cases discussed in prior books so it works as a standalone. If you like it, you will want to go back and see the difficult situations Karen has gotten through both on and off the job.

I received this ebook from NetGalley through the courtesy of Thomas & Mercer. An advance copy was provided to me at no cost, but my review is voluntary and unbiased.

4.25⭐

This is my first introduction to D.S. Butler's Detective Karen Hart Series, and I really enjoyed it. Not only because it's set in Lincolnshire which is where half my family are from, but because the story really drew me in.

As D.S. Hart is called to a family home after five-year-old Molly tells her mum that she's seen a young woman abducted and tossed into the back of a van. But is she really telling the truth or just making up another tall tale?

And with lots of procedural detail, great pacing and an interesting mix of characters this was a very engaging read. That had plenty of twists and turns and it genuinely had me guessing throughout. Which is why I would happily recommend it, and I'll certainly be reading the five books I've missed out on.

This is #6 in the DS Karen Hart series but it can easily be read as a standalone.

Little Molly is looking out of the window when she sees a woman being bundled into a van parked outside, but Molly has a vivid imagination and her mum isn’t sure whether she’s telling the truth or concocting a story. Her mum takes a chance and contacts the police, but they’re doubtful. DS Karen Hart is the only officer to believe Molly, because she reminds Karen of the daughter she is still grieving for, a little girl who also had an imagination but knew the difference between fact and fiction.

Tamara is reported missing and a piece of evidence found at her home is the same as the only piece of evidence at the scene of the kidnapping. Then a second woman goes missing, and a body is found in a field – which of the two women is it?

Just before the first kidnapping, DS Sophie Jones persuaded Karen to go with her to a talk given by a crime author/profiler from the USA – Dr Michaels – and he and his entourage become involved in the case.

A brilliant story that had me gripped, as did the previous books in the series, and I can’t wait for the next DS Karen Hart book!

Thank you to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for an advance reader copy in return for an honest review.