The Complete Book of Ground Covers

4000 Plants that Reduce Maintenance, Control Erosion, and Beautify the Landscape

Pub Date 21 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 21 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheCompleteBookofGroundCovers #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Ground covers are widely thought of as utilitarian—we turn to them when we have a problem that needs a solution. How fast will it fill an area? Can we put it into the tight spaces between pavers? How much foot traffic can it withstand? Yet these plants also offer a diverse range of beautiful and intriguing options with a variety of colors, textures, and forms. They can unify a landscape, knit together plantings and hardscape, and add extra layers of beauty, dynamism, and surprise. As a replacement for lawns, they can reduce our use of water, fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides, carbon-based fuels, and transform a yard into a diverse landscape of habitat and food for native insects, birds, and other wildlife.

In this meticulously researched reference, nurseryman Gary Lewis profiles more than 4000 ground covers that can perform these roles with aplomb. No matter what kinds of conditions you’re facing—shade, dry soil, heavy clay, excess moisture—there’s a ground cover that will thrive and beautify your garden. Comprehensive, practical, and copiously illustrated, this indispensable volume belongs on the shelf of every designer, landscape architect, and serious gardener.

EDITION Hardcover

This is a helpful, well illustrated book. It covers all the information you need and has many lists plus an A to Z guide of many ground covers with many photos and a lot of varieties suggested for each. The lists weren't very helpful for me as they were just long lists by Latin name with no photos. The A to Z guide was nice but I wish it had a photo for each plant (there are still lots of photos). I would have liked a photo section of the best for various things like the ten best for shade, the ten best for cold climates, the ten best for rocky areas, etc. and more about flowering, but it covers so many plants that I guess that couldn't be done (I just read the ultimate guide to flowers that had lists like these). I also wouldn't really consider a lot of these plants ground covers, which to me are sort of like grass alternatives. Many of these are pretty tall plants and are just things to technically cover the ground with in terms of now it's not just ground, and not necessarily low growing. For instance, there are lots of ferns in here and I never thought of them as groundcovers. They're just plants to me. But I'm sure that's my fault and not a fault of the book. It's a well illustrated, in depth book with lots of photos and information.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for review.

This is a very comprehensive book on ground covers and their uses in the garden. The book is divided on two main sections. The first covers an introduction, planting and design - Whilst the second part is an alphabetic dictionary of the many ground covers available including all information on growing, uses in design and care.
I really like this book as it covers a lot of ground -so to speak -and the photographs and information is easy to understand and use.

Thorough reference book. Detailed information for hundreds of ground covers. Extensive lists of plants for different conditions such as dry shade, deer resistant, sunny slopes, etc.