Call My Name

A Novel

Pub Date 15 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 15 Nov 2022

Talking about this book? Use #CallMyName #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

What would you sacrifice to hold your own child in your arms?

From Jenni Ogden, winner of the 2016 Gold Nautilus Award for Fiction, Large Publisher, and author of best-selling A Drop in the Ocean, comes a powerful and poignant novel that explores motherhood, grief, and forgiveness; the heartstrings that bind friends and family; and the search for a place to call home.

Her mother dead from a drug overdose, thirteen-year-old Olivia is rescued by Cathie Tulloch, her mother’s friend throughout the years they were held captive in Japanese prison camps in Sumatra in WWII. Welcomed into the Tulloch’s remote family home in the Australian tropics, introverted Olivia is claimed by dramatic, generous, controlling Cassandra Tulloch as her sister and best friend. Moving to the UK at 18, Olivia finds her independence — and partner Ben. But in 1970, after five years away, she is homesick, and ready to fulfill her long-held dream: to make a family of her own. But when the unimaginable happens, destroying the friendship with Cassandra that has been her bedrock for so long, Olivia tells herself that she doesn’t deserve a family, nor a place to call home.

What would you sacrifice to hold your own child in your arms?

Advance Praise

"A gripping story that’s hard to put down, Call My Name draws the reader into complex and deeply human questions about what it means to be a mother, a friend, a family. In Jenni Ogden’s moving and never-predictable novel, there are no easy answers to these questions, as her characters’ lives intertwine over three decades of joy, loss, grief, and—below it all, like a sustaining chord—loyalty and kindness.

Call My Name reminds us that love calls us to be generous rather than possessive and that we can go on, even when terrible things happen, because we’re profoundly connected. Layered, sometimes shocking, yet shining with goodness and hope, it’s exactly the kind of story we need right now."

Barbara Linn Probst, Sarton and Nautilus award-winning author of The Sound Between the Notes and The Color of Ice

“Vivid setting, dynamic plot, and likable characters come together beautifully to deliver an emotionally compelling tale of friendship, love, loss, and forgiveness. Call My Name is a fantastic read.”

—Jodi Wright, Award-winning author of How to Grow an Addict and Eat and Get Gas.

Call My Name by Jenni Ogden felt so intense and raw that I choked up a few times while reading it. Ogden has created a unique story with a great set of characters and tragic circumstances that will surely touch your heart. In this remarkable novel, she brings out the true essence of friendship and describes in vivid detail what it means to be a mother, to lose and grieve for a family member, and to have someone by your side when life gets too hard to bear. This is a powerful and inspirational tale filled with emotional scenes about death, grief, birth trauma, abortion, war, adoption, surrogacy, friendship, and family. I recommend it wholeheartedly.”

—Emma Megan, READERS’ FAVORITE, 5 star review

“Have you ever read a fictional tale that felt like a memoir? Call My Name made the elite list. Exploring loyalty, friendship, selflessness, manipulation, selfishness, courage, grief, love, and more, the unforgettable characters pulled at my heartstrings, and got me emotionally involved. Olivia and Cassandra were a dynamic duo, and every decision they made had ripple effects on their families. ...suspense-filled ....a masterpiece.”

—Jennifer Ibiam, READERS’ FAVORITE, 5 star review

EDITION Ebook
PRICE 3.99

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

This was such a good read and will definitely be one Ithink about for a long time. I couldn't put it down it was powerful and emotive.

I would highly recommend this book to… anyone and everyone! This book will stay with you long after you've finished it, and in the most fabulous way!

A couple of summers ago I read and loved The Moon is Missing by Jenni Ogden so when I saw she had another book on NetGalley I jumped at the chance to read it. \this book was heartbreaking and joyful in equal measure, much like real life. It begs the question, what does it mean to be a mother? But it also asks what makes a family? The story asks many pertinent and timely questions about abortion, adoption/surrogacy, and mental health. There was a lot to take on in this book as it spans thirty years or more but as usual Jenni Ogden's writing is emotive and she tells this story beautifully.

As long as this story was I was swept away in its telling and managed to read it in a couple of sittings. I loved the location of Australia and felt like I had visited there. The descriptions of the beaches, the sand, and the flora & fauna were absolutely lovely. Being on Olivia's journey to find a family and a place to call home. This was such a joy to read for many reasons but what I liked most was the fact that it is simply a story about life and love including all the good, the bad, and messy in-between.

Call My Name by Jenni Ogden was one rollercoaster of a ride. There was a lot of heartbreak with Olivia and Cassandra, and there were moments when I almost felt overwhelmed by it. I also at times felt frustrated with Olivia, but then in thinking about it, realized I would likely feel the same way that she did, although I wouldn't be proud of it! Jenni Ogden did a good job of setting the scene in Australia, a place I would love to go.

I liked the theme of family being something we can create rather than what we are born into.. this is very true!

There were some disturbing sections regarding the atrocities of war that weren't easy to read, but they are fairly brief.

Overall I enjoyed this read. There were a few moments when I was like "oh, c'mon!"- sort of the same way I felt reading a book like Angela's Ashes, when bad things just kept happening, but love and redemption can surely win!

Thank you to Netgalley and Sea Dragon Press for a galley edition of this book in exchange for an honest review!

A story that posed so many questions of my own feelings regarding the issues raised. Families, single parents, fostering, adoption, friendships, abortion, miscarriage, euthanasia, past experiences. It was a roller coaster of a ride through the emotions of the characters as well as my own. I was drawn into the story early on and hooked to the very end.. I highly recommend this book.