The Last Rainbow Bird

Pub Date 06 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 01 Jul 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheLastRainbowBird #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This vibrant story of wildlife conservation beams with hope and joyfully celebrates difference.

Unless Jo and Alex can find the last Rainbow Bird, its species will become extinct. Journeying by riverboat through a spectacular forest, the children find many extraordinary birds – elegant Underwater Birds, glowing Lamp Birds and excitable Big-to-Little Birds – but will they find the last Rainbow Bird?

The singularly fabulous world of the Rainbow Bird, created by award-winning author-illustrator Nora Brech, is a riot of color, imagination, and wonder. Children will love the heartfelt and humorous story that gently conveys an important environmental message.

EDITION Hardcover

Send to Kindle (PDF)

The Last Rainbow Bird is filled with beautiful, colorful, and whimsical pictures. I loved zooming in and taking in all the intricate details of the pictures on each page! This story is a sweet adventure of finding the last Rainbow bird. The two questers encounter various types of birds, including the Tower Bird, the Underwater Birds, and Big-to-Little Birds, each unique and beautiful in their own way.

Nora Brech adds a little note at the end of the story to young readers explaining that while Rainbow Birds are imaginary, there are real rare birds that scientist are trying to keep from going extinct. Young students will be hooked by this real-life connections and will encourage them when learning about birds and other living things in science. I can't wait to buy my own physical copy for my classroom library to share with my class!

Thank you NetGalley and Floris Books for the advanced copy. All opinions are my own.

Beautifully illustrated picture book that gently introduces children to the idea of saving endangered species - in this case, the fictional rainbow bird. It's a unique twist on a wildlife conservation story, since most books in this genre are non-fiction or at least feature real animals; but the whimsical approach here is a lovely addition and I could definitely see using it to introduce a lesson on real-life endangered species. Pairs nicely with a book like "A Wild Child's Guide to Endangered Animals" by Millie Marotta - kids will be thrilled to learn that there are creatures on Earth just as weird and wonderful as the rainbow bird!

This is a Children's book that I read to my kids. I have always loved birds, and we have a ton of bird feeders and houses all around my yard. I know I had to read this book because it is about birds. I love that this book is all about wildlife conservation and saving birds, but it is written in a way that little kids can understand. Even my oldest who is 12 years old really enjoyed this book. The pictures in this book are so bright and colorful which I loved so much. I think the pictures really made this book come to life. This is a great fun read. I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher (Floris Books) or author (Nora Brech) via NetGalley, so I can give an honest review about how I feel about this book. I want to send a big Thank you to them for that. This book is scheduled to be released on September 6-2022.

What a beautiful book! The illustrations in this story are award worthy and the story it’s self is a beautiful and gentle introduction into conservation for children. While the birds in the book are whimsical, it is easy to translate the story into an educational and practical experience for young readers. I would highly recommend this book for all children and very much look forward to planning a conservation story time with this book!

This book was very colorful, which I think is perfect for kids. It also has a very important message about trying to save endangered birds, and could be applied when learning about different endangered and extinct animals.

This is a great one, that I think will capture the attention of little ones, but has a super important message as well.

This book tells the story of Alex, Jo and Professor feather who are searching to find a mate for the fictional "rainbow bird" who is at risk of going extinct. Through their search they come across lots of other silly fictional birds like lamp birds and tower birds that help direct them to the last rainbow bird. The story ends with information about real birds that are at risk of going extinct and the importance of conservation so that we can protect all animals who are endangered. While being a fictional story, there is much to be learned from this beautiful and insightful book. I think that it will be easy for young children to draw parallels between the rainbow bird and a number of animals they know about that are vulnerable or endangered. The message is beautiful, but the illustrations are even more breath taking. The beautiful coloured feathers of the rainbow bird are woven throughout the story and are very pleasing to look at.

As a teacher, I can definitely see this book in my classroom library and to be used as a resource when talking about endangered animals and conservation. I so appreciate Netgalley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read and review this fabulous book!