City Under the City

Pub Date 15 Nov 2022 | Archive Date 08 Nov 2022

Talking about this book? Use #CityUndertheCity #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From acclaimed author-illustrator Dan Yaccarino comes an exhilarating adventure—set in a richly imagined alternate future—celebrating autonomy, community, and the power of reading, perfect for fans of The Rock From the Sky.

Bix lives with her family in a city where people rarely talk or play together, and no longer read books. Instead, they stare at small portable screens, monitored by giant eyeballs. The Eyes are here to help! With everything. But Bix would like to do things for herself. Running from an Eye, she discovers another world: the City Under the City. There, she befriends a rat who leads her to a library and its treasure trove of books and knowledge. As she explores the abandoned city, she’s thrilled to learn about the people who lived there, with no Eyes. But she misses her family, and decides to head home, where, just maybe, she can help defeat the intrusive Eyes—and show her people how to think for themselves and enjoy each other’s company. Told through Dan Yaccarino’s stunning graphic style, this page-turning picture book/early reader crossover will spark a new appreciation of reading, books, independence, friendship, and family.

Send to Kindle (PDF)

The little details in this book really brought a smile to myself. When Bix finds the library, the first page shows dolls of classic literary characters- Dorothy, Madeline, Alice. City Under the City reminded me of the movie Wall=E in that the characters, minus Bix, are so obsessed with the technology in front of them that they don't know to look around their world. I think this book pushes that idea further in that their current world exists just above where civilization truly lived. This story would be a great lesson about how not everything can be learned in front of a screen, as well as how important family is.

SCI_FI for young readers – LOVE IT!! So many reasons to LOVE this book!!
This book reminder experienced readers of Fahrenheit 451 (one of my all-time favorite books), where books are banned, and education and information are limited in order to control society. What a great way to introduce banned books and the freedom of choice to our younger generations. The EYES and overall theme of this children’s book reminded me of other futuristic SCI- FI classic novels like the Orwellian 1984.

In today’s, present day society I am reminded of how cell phones have taken over a majority of or lives including our private every day family lives. Many scenes of this tale are a reminder of what happens (is happening for many of us) when we pau more attention to our technology than the people and environment around us.

I can express in words what I felt reading this book. It is exciting… it is eye opening… It should be read by adults to children everywhere!!
I may need to buy large quantities of the amazing book and handing it out to every one I know.

And I haven’t even touched on the illustrations. They are colorful futuristic in a uniquely vintage way (not intended to be an oxymoron) honestly the illustrator has capture the future and history in these outstanding images).

BEYOND Grateful to have received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley & Museyon Books.

A perfect adventure book to help illustrate the need to get off screens, spend time with loved ones, to appreciate reading and what books can do, and independence. A timely gift for any age.

This would make for a great addtion to any library, be it home or classroom. So many interesting conversations could come up after reading. It tells a story , but leaves so much room for the child's imagination to run wild. Loved this book

Dan Yaccarino’s art is lovely, as always. The colorful design and fun story will be inviting for young readers and a welcome addition to classroom libraries.