No More Police

A Case for Abolition

Pub Date 30 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 30 Aug 2022

Talking about this book? Use #NoMorePolice #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A persuasive primer on police abolition from two veteran organizers

“One of the world’s most prominent advocates, organizers and political educators of the [abolitionist] framework.” —NBCNews.com on Mariame Kaba

In this powerful call to action, New York Times bestselling author Mariame Kaba and attorney and organizer Andrea J. Ritchie detail why policing doesn’t stop violence, instead perpetuating widespread harm; outline the many failures of contemporary police reforms; and explore demands to defund police, divest from policing, and invest in community resources to create greater safety through a Black feminist lens.

Centering survivors of state, interpersonal, and community-based violence, and highlighting uprisings, campaigns, and community-based projects, No More Police makes a compelling case for a world where the tools required to prevent, interrupt, and transform violence in all its forms are abundant. Part handbook, part road map, No More Police calls on us to turn away from systems that perpetrate violence in the name of ending it toward a world where violence is the exception, and safe, well-resourced and thriving communities are the rule.

A persuasive primer on police abolition from two veteran organizers

ISBN 9781620977323

Send to Kindle (PDF)

“No More Police” is a fantastic community resource for engaging in abolitionist dialogue. This book masterfully answers basically every question and concern people who are just learning about abolition tend to have. I found this book highly accessible, as I typically have a hard time getting through nonfiction just by its sometimes dense nature. “We Do This ‘Til We Free Us” has been one of my go-to accessible reads, and I can confidently say that “No More Police” is just as accessible if not more.

Informative without being too dense, knowledgeable on a very nuanced topic, and perfectly structured for people like myself who want to read more abolition literature but have a hard time focusing on nonfiction.

I also thought the introduction was wonderful – again, accessible and particularly helpful in navigating specific chapters if you are looking for answers for one question in particular, allowing the reader to jump around chapters without feeling overwhelmed or as though we’re missing something by not reading chronologically.

5 stars, definitely adding to my collection and to my list of recs for police abolition.