No More Police

A Case for Abolition

Pub Date 30 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 30 Aug 2022

Talking about this book? Use #NoMorePolice #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

An instant national best seller

A persuasive primer on police abolition from two veteran organizers

“One of the world’s most prominent advocates, organizers and political educators of the [abolitionist] framework.” —NBCNews.com on Mariame Kaba

In this powerful call to action, New York Times bestselling author Mariame Kaba and attorney and organizer Andrea J. Ritchie detail why policing doesn’t stop violence, instead perpetuating widespread harm; outline the many failures of contemporary police reforms; and explore demands to defund police, divest from policing, and invest in community resources to create greater safety through a Black feminist lens.

Centering survivors of state, interpersonal, and community-based violence, and highlighting uprisings, campaigns, and community-based projects, No More Police makes a compelling case for a world where the tools required to prevent, interrupt, and transform violence in all its forms are abundant. Part handbook, part road map, No More Police calls on us to turn away from systems that perpetrate violence in the name of ending it toward a world where violence is the exception, and safe, well-resourced and thriving communities are the rule.

An instant national best seller

A persuasive primer on police abolition from two veteran organizers

ISBN 9781620977323

Send to Kindle (PDF)

“No More Police” is a fantastic community resource for engaging in abolitionist dialogue. This book masterfully answers basically every question and concern people who are just learning about abolition tend to have. I found this book highly accessible, as I typically have a hard time getting through nonfiction just by its sometimes dense nature. “We Do This ‘Til We Free Us” has been one of my go-to accessible reads, and I can confidently say that “No More Police” is just as accessible if not more.

Informative without being too dense, knowledgeable on a very nuanced topic, and perfectly structured for people like myself who want to read more abolition literature but have a hard time focusing on nonfiction.

I also thought the introduction was wonderful – again, accessible and particularly helpful in navigating specific chapters if you are looking for answers for one question in particular, allowing the reader to jump around chapters without feeling overwhelmed or as though we’re missing something by not reading chronologically.

5 stars, definitely adding to my collection and to my list of recs for police abolition.

No More Police is a book that clearly lays out dense material in an accessible way. Something I really admire about this book is that the authors lay out multiple approaches but don’t treat situations with a one size fits all solution. I highly recommend this book for people trying to understand the police abolition movement.
Thank you to the authors and The New Press for the e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The art and title of this book caught my eye. I wanted to read it because while I know some about calls to defund the police and change the way we support our communities and provide "safety" in the United States, I have not done in-depth research on the topic.

Whether you want to learn more about the police abolition movement or simply learn more about the state of policing in the United States, this book is excellent. It is extremely well-researched and all sources are cited. This would be a great title to use to find statistics, stories, and sources to share with people you're discussing policing, safety, and justice with. It is compelling and laid out very well so you can also jump to specific chapters if you need to.

If you are hesitant about the idea of police abolition or have an image of the police force as a solid, public good with a few "bad apples" - I encourage you to read this book. It also engages with "soft policing" by people not employed directly by police which I found very interesting. Take note of reflexive or high-emotion reactions as you read, and question them. Specifically, if you are white (like I am, for context), you must block the reflexive white supremacist narratives of "crime," "bad guys," and "friendly cops" that we are raised with.

This was a thought-provoking book that challenged some assumptions I still held about police and backed it up with a wealth of information and lived experiences. The authors also state that not everyone will be dedicated on the road to abolition but that similar goals will follow the same road. You may come out not agreeing with everything, but the author's arguments are excellent, and I think anyone who wants a better world without the violence inflicted by police and/or prison industrial complex will find something in this book.

This is not a casual read and is not intended to be one. The facts are stark and thoroughly backed up. A specific note I found resonant, and that challenged a lot of my thinking, is the refrain that living in a society that actually supports its people requires commitment. It has made me consider my own dedication, willingness and ability to help my neighbors. No More Police makes it clear that making things better is not a quick fix. There is no one answer. It will require many actions and people. This is a book I will think about for a very long time.

Reviewed via digital ARC from NetGalley.

I usually put content notes at the end of my reviews. The nature of this book means that it confronts many stories of racism, violence, abuse, sexual violence, transphobia, and more.

No More Police: A Case for Abolition, by Mariame Kaba and Andrea Ritchie, is an organized and well-researched explanation of the need for abolishing the police.

The kneejerk response from those who support the white supremacist status quo is that pulling the cops off the street will lead to full scale violence and crime. In other words, these people not only don't know anything about what the abolitionist movement is, they are trying to use fear (which statistics don't actually support) to maintain their entitlement and power under the present system.

No matter where you currently stand on the issue, don't let the false fear these hypocrites are peddling be your "rationale" for taking a stand. Read this book. Think about the statistics and the stories. Think about their ideas based on this information. This is not an overnight type of movement. In fact, at one point, they state that achieving safe, supportive and a truly just society is multigenerational. But we must start.

I'm not going to try to restate their arguments, they do too good of a job for me to mess it up. But for anyone who wants a society that is just for all, they owe it to themselves to not listen to the slogans, whether from the fear-mongers or from the "defund the police" crowd. The research here is cited so you can verify things for yourself (isn't that the usual first complaint of those who won't believe anything?). If you're one of those who "do your own research" then this is ideal. Do it. With an open mind. You may not think every idea here is good, but if you disagree with the larger premise, that police do not make people safer and do nothing to decrease violence (in fact they increase violence), then I have to question whether you just like your position in a white supremacist society more than you care for or believe in any moral, ethical, or spiritual system.

Highly recommended for those who want to know about, or know more about, the abolitionist movement. In fact, I think this is one of a handful of books I would recommend to someone who doesn't really like the idea but wants to better understand it. Maybe you won't flip 180 degrees but I find it hard to believe you will be totally against it either.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.

This was a fantastic read, although the ARC copy was marked in a way that made it difficult to comprehend at times. Brought together the important issues of why policing in America is inherently corrupt, the institutional harm that's being done and the individual groups that are affected. It proposes an end to the current system and is very in-depth. I really felt drawn to what was being said and will do another re-read upon publication. Fantastic!

Mariame Kaba is one of the most important voices and activists going today. This book is a thorough argument for one of the defining issues of our time.