Backpack Explorer: Rock Hunt

What Will You Find?

Pub Date 28 Feb 2023 | Archive Date 28 Feb 2023
Storey Publishing, Storey Publishing, LLC

Talking about this book? Use #BackpackExplorerRockHunt #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The latest addition to the best-selling Backpack Explorer series (455,000 copies in print) invites kids ages 4 and up to head outside and find, collect, and learn about rocks with this take-along activity book! Backpack Explorer: Rock Hunt is packed with prompts and activities, including: 12 interactive field guide pages introducing rock classifications (color, shape, size, texture); sensory scavenger hunts; hands-on outdoor creative activities; rock experiments; and discovery zone pages with facts about geology, landforms, igneous and metamorphic rocks, gems, fossils, and more. The book includes a real magnifying glass, stickers, and a log for recording rock finds, making it the perfect explorer guide for budding geologists, whether in a backyard, a city park, or a nature preserve.

Backpack Explorer: Rock Hunt is a great resource for doing rock-related activities! There are lots of facts about rocks, minerals, and other items outside. I really enjoyed the variety of activities, from organizing your own rock collection, to figuring out what type of rock you have. Very fun, great way to get kids outdoors and interested in nature.

Being a rock painter I just had to read this story about rock hunting! This is a cute book for little kids to give them ideas of what to look for while hunting for rocks. It also explains some scientific principles. I like that it is encouraging curiosity and being outdoors. I liked all of the scavenger hunts for the different types of rocks. This was a colorful book and little kids would really enjoy the scavenger hunt aspect of it especially with the stickers to add when the rocks are found. Fun read!

Thanks to NetGalley and Storey Publishing for access to this Digital ARC.

I LOVE this book! As a grade 3 teacher about to teach a unit on Rocks and Minerals with my class, I'm devastated that this book doesn't come out until February! That's ok, I'll still definitely need to purchase a copy for my class library in the new year! This book is filled with fun and interesting activities that children can do to learn more about different rocks and minerals. There is a mix of real and drawn pictures that are intriguing and will draw in a young readers attention I think this book would be a perfect fit for any little aspiring geologists in the age 4-10 range. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book!

I loved this book. My background is in nature based education and I would absolutely recommend this book to nature based educators of young children or to families. It has a great mix of scientific information, activity suggestions and beautiful illustrations. I think a child would feel like they had a treasure map in their hands reading this book. This book would be a great tool for parents who value connecting their children to the outdoors but don’t always know how to do that.

We own all the Backyard Explorer books published so far. This one definitely didn’t disappoint. It has such great illustrations/photos, as well as just enough information to get kids interested in learning more about rocks without overwhelming them. They’re made to take out on the trail and explore.

Backpack Explorer: Rock Hunt is a Children's Nonfiction about nature and outdoors, specifically looking and learning about rocks.

The cover is simple and goes alongside their other books within the series. We have seen a few others of theirs to incorporate within our outdoor studies with our toddler.

Within the pages, you're introduced to rocks, what you need to pack when you go "rock hunting", learn about minerals, and more.

Their illustrations are great, colorful and bright but also easily understandable for kids and little ones while still being realistic and detailed. We've enjoyed their previous books within this series and it's a great tool for homeschooling, teaching and more.

5 Stars. Would recommend. This book will definitely become a part of our collection for learning at home.

Thanks to the publisher, Storey Publishing, the author, and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC copy to read and review. Review will also be posted to my blog (www.kagoodsell.com/book-reviews), GoodReads, TikTok (@unearthingeco), as well as NetGalley reviews.

This book is a great addition to the series! I love the emphasis on rocks, especially collecting and identification. There are lots of colorful pictures throughout and fun activities that would appeal to children of various age groups.

I really enjoy collecting cool and interesting looking rocks when my husband and I go on walks and hikes, so this book seemed like a fun read, and it didn't disappoint. If you have a young one that loves the outdoors and/or rocks, this could be a great addition to your library. That being said though, this book does require some adult supervision for a number of the activities and some of the tips and facts might want to be elaborated on for safety reasons. (For example: 'certain rocks can scratch glass', please make sure your readers do not try to scratch all your windows with rocks).

So what is this book, well, it is a lot of great things. First and foremost it is a non-fiction book all about types of rocks, where you might find them, their differences, and often interesting facts about them. It is also a sticker book of sorts, as you locate the types of rocks, the book boasts stickers in the back that you can use to track your progress (since I had a digital copy, I did not have the pleasure of stickering, nor where there examples of the sticker pages). It is also an activity book. In between the sections about rocks, there are fun things to do and try with them, pet rocks, scavenger hunts, boats with rock pirates, and collections

This book was very well put together with thing to bring on your hunt, images of actual rocks, illustrations, and diagrams. It is easy to follow along with and has some pronunciation guides in the text to help out.

It is important to also remind your readers that not all rocks are found in all areas, it is possible that they will be able to complete their sticker journey, but maybe not. Overall, I found this book pretty fun to read through and I think young rock hounds will enjoy it as well. But be prepared to find rocks all over your house.

Galley note: I received this early e-copy from the publisher, and at the time of reading there were many images with watermarks on them from stock images. Completely fine and the images were great, I just hope that for publication the watermarks are removed accordingly.

Review will go live on blog closer to release date.

This book is perfect for all aspiring young geologists, or for introducing children to the different types of rocks they may encounter whilst in nature. The illustrations and pictures used within the book will allow younger children to engage with the book, and the vocabulary used will help them to establish a solid foundation of knowledge upon which they may build scientific and geographical knowledge further. I particularly enjoyed within this book, that alongside the written explanations and pronunciation guides the scavenger hunts and activities which will allow children to experience hands-on activities to engage them with the learning opportunities provided within the book. 5/5 - perfect for first time geologists or for compounding prior knowledge!

This book provides young readers/learners with interesting facts about various types of rocks and minerals. It provides plenty of pictures to compare your findings to the book to identify your rock. Would be perfect for a classroom, home schooling, or any rock obsessed child.

I really enjoyed this book there's tons of fun facts and the little scavenger hunts will be fun for kids (or adults) to do. It's a good resource for lots of information on rocks from how they form to the different types great for the little rock hunter you know

Thank you to Net Galley and Storey Publishing for this opportunity to read this E-Ark and this is my honest review.

5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

My son got one of those kits from national graphic where they have to dig out the rocks. He loved it. Since then we have been everything rocks in this house and got a tumbler.

This book was a great introduction for kids who like and want to know more about rocks. I loved how it went thru three different types with detailed pictures. But then within those types the author then provided fun ideas for activities that the kids could do. Like stacking rocks, making a bark boat and seeing how many rocks it could hold etc. I also loved the idea of using an egg carton to hold all your small rock treasures.

This is great and I can't wait for it to come out to pickup up physical copy.

I love this book! I've loved rocks since I was a kid, always going to rock shows and using rock tumblers, and when my son got interested in them, I was incredibly psyched. I was very excited to have this book to explore with him!

This book is a delightful introduction to rock hunting and geology for little people.

The illustrations and pictures are bright and inviting and convey a real sense of excitement and adventure.

The instructions, activities, and information is perfect for young children and is bound to start a life-long interest in being a 'rock hound'.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher, and the editors for giving me a free digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Links to Booktopia and Amazon AU reviews will be updated the week of publication.