Measure Twice, Murder Once

Nailed It Home Reno Mysteries

Pub Date 05 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 30 Jun 2022

Talking about this book? Use #MeasureTwiceMurderOnce #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

It’s bad enough when your business partner buys a property without consulting you, but when she accidentally acquires a brothel, it’s enough to make Rowena Summerfield want to throw away her hammer. Still, the house is a bargain, and maybe it’s just what Ro and her daughter need to turn around their home renovation business.

As Ro, a former homicide detective, comes to terms with the deal, she gets a shock when the former owner—and madam—turns up dead. Soon someone from Ro’s past shows up at the work site: her ex-partner, who needs a temporary sidekick to help him solve the case. Reviving their investigative team isn’t easy, especially when Herc gets jealous of the hunky deli owner who takes an interest in widow Rowena. Until now, she was fine with one man in her life—her cuddly cat, Jason.

Ro and Herc discover the previous residents of the house, including the victim’s daughter, have less than fond memories of their former boss. The bordello’s old customers have a lot to lose if their secrets surface, and the unhappy neighbors still bear a grudge. As the sleuths dig deeper, they unearth a flimsy foundation of anger, greed and fear framing the walls the suspects have built around themselves. Can Ro and Herc find the culprit before someone plays another deadly trick?

EDITION Ebook
ISBN 9781948532365

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I had a hard time getting into this book. I thought the main characters were a little flat. I was surprised by who the killer is. #MeasureTwiceMurderOnce #NetGalley

This ARC was provided to me via Kindle, Backlit PR and by #NetGalley. Opinions expressed are completely my own.

Cute, fun cozy mystery.

Intrigue and romance
Ms. Barrett writes with believable characters and scenarios.
Detective Rowena Summerfield retires after an on the job injury and starts a second career in renovation with her daughter, Val. The pair buy a former bordello and Ro is dragged into the investigation...with her former partner. We follow along through their investigation, through the boring questions and the enlightening answers. As suspects are added and eliminated, Ro picks up an admirer. I recommend this fun and qiock moving tale.
I requested and received a NetGalley ARC to peruse gratis and offer my opinion the same.

You will be kept guessing as to the identity of the killer. Rowan Summerfield has her hands full. A former homicide detective turned home renovators gets a shock when the new house turns out to be a brothel. Then the former owner turns up dead. Everyone seems to have secrets. Can the killer be found in time? Good story plot. Good characters.

A big thank you to NetGalley and Backlit Publishing for the ARC. I am voluntarily reviewing this book. This is a cozy mystery, the first in a new series. This was a bit different as the main character used to be a detective, but now renovates homes with her daughter. Interesting plot. 3.5 stars

A clever cozy mystery. Nicely paced and without the typical excessive descriptions and repetition of some cozies. Likeable characters. Intriguing premise. It kept me guessing. A smidgeon of romance. Thanks to the publisher for providing a copy via NetGalley. My review is voluntary.

Measure Twice, Murder Once is full of believable characters and interesting storylines. It centers around Rowena, a retired detective, and her divorced daughter. The pair have started a home renovation business and purchase a home that turns out to be a former bordello. The former owner was anxious to sell and sold quickly for a low price. Her haste to distance herself from the brothel becomes clear when after the purchase, her dead body is found. Ro and her daughter work to unravel the secrets and motives that led to the homicide in order to restore the integrity of their purchase.

Another reviewer remarked that this book is devoid of the usual excessive bland descriptions found in some cozies, and I agree. There are some authors I can no longer read because the bland excessive descriptions to increase wordcount dull an otherwise interesting plot. Measure Twice, Murder Once is an enjoyable cozy that’s both engaging and well-paced.

Thank you NetGalley, Barbara Barrett and Backlit PR for the copy of Measure Twice, Murder Once. This is my personal review.
I enjoyed this book quite a lot. It was a twist on cozy mysteries that I liked a lot. Rowena is a retired detective who along wither daughter run a home renovation business.
They got a great deal on a house to do renovations on and they found a very interesting reason why the deal was so good, and the owner was eager to sell to them. The house used to be a bordello. When they started renovations, they discovered a lot more than they anticipated.
This is a good start to a new cozy series. I look forward to reading more.

I received this ARC via Netgalley and Backlit PR, in return for an honest review. First book in a new cozy series featuring a retired police detective and her daughter who co-own a home renovation business. When their latest project involves a former house of ill repute and the seller/madam is killed, there are multiple solutions need to a host of problems with the house and its history. Fun first book with lots of potential for future challenges between the business or the mother/daughter dynamic.