Lost in Time

Pub Date 01 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 01 Sep 2022
Head of Zeus, Head of Zeus -- an AdAstra Book

Talking about this book? Use #LostInTime #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

'Amazing! One of the twistiest time-tales I've ever read' Diana Gabaldon
'Crichtonesque thrillers don't come much better than this intricate outing which combines a fantastic premise – a time-travel device known as Absolom is used to imprison dangerous criminals in the prehistoric past – with a closed-circle whodunit... Riddle keeps the twists coming, including a mind-bending jaw-dropper that sets up the book's second half. By creating sympathetic and complex characters, the author makes suspending disbelief easy. Readers won't be able to turn the pages fast enough' Publishers Weekly Starred Review

When his daughter is falsely accused of murder, a scientist must travel 200 million years into the past to save her. But there are secrets waiting there. And more than her life is at stake.

From the worldwide bestselling author of Departure and Winter World comes a standalone novel with a twist you'll never see coming.

Control the Past.
Save the Future.

One morning, Dr. Sam Anderson wakes up to discover that the woman he loves has been murdered.

For Sam, the horror is only beginning.

He and his daughter are accused of the crime.

The evidence is ironclad. They will be convicted.
And so, Sam does what he must: he confesses to the crime.

But in the future, murderers aren't sent to prison.

They're sent to the past.

Two hundred million years into the past – to the age of the dinosaurs – to live out their lives alone, in exile from the human race.

Sam accepts his fate.

But his daughter doesn't.

Adeline Anderson has already lost her mother to a deadly and unfair disease. She can't bear to lose her father.

She sets out on a quest to prove him innocent. And get him back. People around her insist that both are impossible tasks.

But Adeline doesn't give up. She only works harder.

She soon learns that impossible tasks are her specialty. And that she is made of tougher stuff that she ever imagined.

As she peels back the layers of the mystery that ripped her father from this world, Adeline finds more questions than answers. Everyone around her is hiding a secret. But which ones are connected to the murder that exiled her father? That mystery stretches across the past, present, and future – and leads to a revelation that will change everything.

'Amazing! One of the twistiest time-tales I've ever read' Diana Gabaldon

EDITION Ebook
PRICE £5.99 (GBP)

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

This was the best novel I have read for some time. It concerns Adeline and Sam, and their time travel, but the concepts and plot are much wider than this, both take unexpected twists and turns. For example Ross is mentioned as the artist who spoke of happy accidents in his work, like the inventor of pencillin had a happy accident. I enjoyed these bits of the book, and the plot got better the more I read it. Though it was good to begin with, it became fantastic the more I read. I recommend it highly.

I have read a few books by AG Riddle, so I was super excited to be approved for this ARC - thank you NetGalley.

To be honest, I wasn’t quite sure what to make of the synopsis but was keen to see how it would work…… and work it did! It reminded me of Dark Matter by Blake Crouch (which I really enjoyed).

The chapters were short and that made it easier to read as you were always saying “just one more chapter”! That and the fact you were always left wanting to know what was going to happen.

The only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars was the dinosaur aspect, it just didn’t work for me. I would have preferred him to be sent to another time and or place. Still a great read though!

Last year, one of the best books that I have read was from this author, so when I saw that NetGalley had a new ARC I jumped at the opportunity and you know what? Best thing I did ^___^ if you like doctor who with  wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff, you’ll love this book, the story starts straight enough, father going to the cemetery with his children, for the anniversary of the death of his wife, and it is there that things start to get interesting and weird, we are suddenly throw in a murder situation, and things just grow from there, complicate and then start to make sense, this book actually has a good ending but if you read in the stars maybe we could have a second book hahah ^___^

There's a couple of punches that I wasn't really expecting and then we get a clue and then we start to realize what really it is going on, and it is beautiful, eventually everything will make sense..

Can not stress enough how highly I recommend this book, for me it was the best read so far in 2022.

Thank you NetGalley for the free ARC and this is my honest opinion.

<i>Lost in Time</i> by <b>A.G. Riddle<b> is a combination of thriller and science fiction, with even a slight touch of feelgood. Several ingredients of the proven Riddle-recipe are present again, like many short chapters of which a lot end with a cliffhanger that keeps you turning the pages for what is to come. Or like a good dose of action, mixed with technological challenges. The fast paced style of storytelling is very appealing. From the first chapter onwards, Riddle keeps the tension going. The main characters – Sam and Adeline – are treated unjust from the very beginning, which helps in sympathising with them, and of course then you want to know what happens to them further into the story.

The book is divided in five parts, combining eighty chapter and an epilogue. The first part of the story is set five years into the future, with a murder case that appears to be a locked-room mystery, allegedly invented by <b>Edgar Allan Poe</b>. Most of the used technology is logically not very far ahead of what we already have, although some inventions seem unrealistic, not counting Absolom. But one never knows what the next five years will bring. In any case, it will be interesting to check again in five years how believable the book still is. At this moment, it’s very appealing in any case.

Starting from part three, part of the story shifts towards historical fiction, when Sam enters the Late Triassic. The rapid going back and forth between two timelines is well managed, with said cliffhangers at exactly the right moment. The way Sam has to solve practical problems, reminds a lot of how <b>Andy Weir</b> makes his protagonists do a similar thing in books like <i>The Martian</i> or <i>Project Hail Mary</i>. Fun fact: in Lost in Time, Hail Mary is mentioned once too, although not related to Andy Weir.

A.G. Riddle has some more aces in his sleeve. People who’ve read the <i>Impossible Times</i> trilogy by <b>Mark Lawrence</b>, will also love this newest Riddle-novel, because as of a certain moments, brain teasing time paradoxes, conceptually similar to the ones in <i>Impossible Times</i>, enter the story. The solution is surprising. I had a fairly good idea about how the plot would evolve after I head read a third of the book. My guess was not bad at all, although it’s clear to me that many readers will guess part of the outcome because Riddle ingeniously steers you in that direction. But then there is Riddles final trump card, shifting the solution in a way not many readers will see coming.

I was less impressed by the fifth and final part. Too long winded and cheesy for my taste. Could have been told in half the amount of words. Apart from that, this is a very recommendable sci-fi thriller.

Fantastic and fast paced, emotional rollercoaster.

This is my first A G Riddle read and I will definitely be reading more.

The story centres around a group of people who, with their own reasons, build a time machine. The plot is on full of murder mystery, a whodunnit situation that leaves you disagreeing with yourself on what the hell has happened.

The story flows very well, I only started this last night and have now finished it in two sittings. If there was ever a unputdownable book, this is it.

The characters, as I’ve mentioned, all have their reasons to want to change their lives. Also, each one has a motive to want to murder the victim. Every time I thought I knew who done it, I was switched and left unsure. Each character felt real and where making decisions you’d expect of them.

There is a lot of time travel in this book and it sometimes went over my head, which isn’t hard! There’s a few scenes I would love to mention but it’s much better if you experience this yourself.

4/5 stars. Great story and one I didn’t want to end. I look forward to delving into the Riddle world.

You can find me @gavinreads for book chats!

A group of scientists has developed Absolom, a machine that sends the world’s worst convicted criminals back in time, hundreds of years in the past, into the age of the dinosaurs. The threat of this fate had made crime virtually unknown on Earth.

The six scientist who developed the breakthrough - Elliott Lucas, Hiro Sato, Daniele Danneros, Sam Anderson, Nora Thomas, and Constance Niven, now believe they are ready to complete “Absolom Two,” but there is one big problem. One of the six has been killed, and one has been framed for the murder. They all can’t help but think it is related to the development of this new iteration of Absolom.

The murder mystery is couched in an exploration of the possibilities of quantum entanglement, and what that could mean for the universe. I wasn’t so sure about the feasibility of the physics part, and there seemed to be a huge paradoxical conflict between two of the characters, but the mystery was good, the dinosaur segments were fun, and the story held my interest.

Oh my goodness I just loved this book,I have to admit to not knowing the author before but will definitely be reading more from them .I was able to read the book early on NetGalley Uk the book is published on the Uk in September by Head of Zeus
I love time travel novels and this is a unique and well written one which had me enthralled from the past .You have you love time travel into the time of dinosaurs .This is a small section of the story but incredibly visual and exciting with great cliff hangers at the end of each chapter
The story set in modern times is also fun to read and incredibly believable
The book is a complex tangle of past present and future and at all times it was easy to follow the chain of events and understand what was happening .There I’d a satisfying who dunnit in the story which unravels slowly with a great plot twist at the end which I didn’t predict and enjoyed thoroughly
The chapters are just the right length to keep you engrossed and the writing style is easy to read
I think this book would make a really fantastic movie and I’m sure the rights will be grabbed up quickly
This book was a light fun read and exactly what I was looking for the plot is intelligent and will appeal to those who like The time traveller’s wife .Great Sci Fi with an emotional heart I loved it

Tremendously entertaining with a mix of action and mystery and an agile and fluid pace that keeps you hooked from the beginning thanks to short chapters and interesting characters with a common purpose and also with their flaws that add a greater dimension.
Without a doubt it is a highly recommended book.

I received a copy of this book for a free and unbiased opinion.
The book has an interesting use for time- travel technology- it is used to send criminals to the past to be eaten by dinosaurs although the official line seems to be for people to live in exile.
Sam finds himself accused of the murder of his lover as is his 19- year-old daughter Adeline but finds himself confessing to the crime to protect her. As a result, he is sent to the dinosaur age which is ironic as he was one of the scientists who developed the tech and made millions from this.
His daughter Adeline is determined to find the evidence that proves his innocence and bring him back home. But she needs the help of his fellow scientists and financial backer but why do all of them seem to be hiding secrets.
Adeline is a realistic and believable 19-year-old and the book is mainly from her point of view. The world-building is futuristic and believable. There is enough explanation of the science to understand time travel but not too much to be boring.
I can;treally say more about the story as that would heading into spoiler terrority.
I’m not sure if there is a sequel to the book as I thought there were plot strands that weren’t resolved which left me a little frustrated. I didn’t quite understand the plot but that could be just me being dense and this did not stop me from enjoying this mind-boggling story.

This is my first AG Riddle read. Very satisfying indeed. More than a few surprises and some nice twists. The story of Time Travel used as the solution to crime. The worst of the worst get sent back in time to alternate timeline Triassic banishment. Works great, world populations are scared you-know-what-less, so most everyone toes the line. One day one of the scientists, one among a team that discovered the breakthrough, is murdered. The evidence points to the daughter of one of the scientists and her father. The ensuing mystery of who got away with murder and framed her dad becomes the daughters life focus. Relentless is an understatement. We also spend time back in time with her banished father and his fight to survive.
This story gets increasingly better the further it goes. The characters grow and the story evolves to a pretty darn interesting tale that, as mentioned, had some nice twists. This is an ARC I recommend easily. Fun read.

His best book yet. Time travel, dinosaur's murder mystery this book has it all could not put it down.
I received this book from Head of Zeus and Netgalley for a review.

well written with a gripping storyline, short chapters which made for a quick read and well developed characters. I r=enjoyed it

Time travel is tough to get all the details right, but Riddle did it in this wonderful, twisty novel. 4.5 stars!

When his teenage daughter is falsely accused of murder, a scientist must travel 200 million years into the past to save her. But there are secrets waiting there. And more than her life is at stake.

From the worldwide bestselling author of Departure and Winter World comes a standalone novel with a twist you’ll never see coming: Control the Past. Save the Future.

I would have given it a solid 5 stars except for two niggly little bits. 1) Sam's son Ryan always just seems like an afterthought; I would have liked to see just a few times where the little kid wasn't playing second fiddle to his sister for Sam's affection. 2) One niggling plot point regarding the bits and pieces of the recall ring (which if I say more would be a spoiler, so I won't!)

I highly recommend this time travel novel.

A great read. Fun, fast some nice plot twists. If you’ve read any other Riddle books you’re going to really enjoy this one. If this is your first I can bet you’ll read his others.

Lost in Time by A.G. Riddle There is so much going on in this book, time travel, an unsolved murder, family drama, first loves, new loves, addictions, dinosaurs, quantum something or another (way over my head), and enough twists and turns to make one's head spin. A bit of a slow start then bang, the story takes off. Just an all out entertaining, fun and engrossing read.

Thank you to AG Riddle, publisher, Head of Zeus and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.

This book can only be described as addictive from beginning to end. A.G. Riddle stayed true to his style. There is a lot of science and mystery. It will put your head in a spin and make you confused but in a fantastic way. It's a story about time travel at the next level. The characters are fully developed with personalities that can only be seen on the big screen. I, at times, was so immersed in Daniela's nature that I thought for a moment I was Daniela and what I would do next. The ending, for me, was a little difficult to swallow. The idea and actions were based on more emotions. How do they pick the people? What if those people that were chosen weren't meant to live? : (readers, you'll get what I mean after reading the book). It's a must-read book for this year.

Thank you to Head of Zeus -- an AdAstra Book, and NetGalley for letting me read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

n the not too distant future, a group of scientists invent a machine that transports convicts to the past in alternate universes. There is no way for them to return. This drastically reduces the crime rate, as fear of the unknown is much more of a deterrent to committing serious crime than life in prison or the death penalty.

Each of the scientists involved in the project has a deep, dark secret that they want to protect at all costs. When one of the scientists is murdered, they all know it has to be one of the team, or someone close to them. Surveillance cameras prove that Dr. Sam Anderson and his daughter, Adeline, were the last ones to see the murdered woman alive. After receiving a threatening note, Dr. Anderson takes the blame. His punishment is swift as he is sent into the past by his own invention.

The novel is then told from multiple timelines: the near future, the distant Triassic/Jurassic past and more. As Dr. Anderson fights off carnivorous dinosaurs and other prehistoric hazards, his daughter works to find a way to get her father back and discover the real murderer.

I confess I’m an A.G. Riddle Fan. This is the seventh book I’ve read by him. I’m the first to admit that his books aren’t great literature (and could benefit from the deft hand of a detail-oriented editor), but they are absolutely delightful “sit back and enjoy the ride” fictional romps through the author’s imagination. Lost in Time crosses several genres: time travel, light science fiction and thriller.

While I was reading this book, I was involved in a couple very time-sensitive, intense projects. Lost in Time was the perfect mental getaway for me. I’m crossing my fingers, hoping for sequels!

My Rating: 4.25 Stars, Grade A-

NOTE: Thank you NetGalley and Head of Zeus publishing for the opportunity to read and review an Advanced Reader Copy of this book. Expected publication date is September 1, 2022. Look for it at your favorite online or local bookseller.

Thanks to NetGalley and Head of Zeus for an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

4 stars

Dr. Sam Anderson and five others have invented a machine that is used to send prisoners back in time 200 million years. Sam and his 19 year old daughter are accused of murdering one of the other co-founders. Sam confesses and is sent back to live with the dinosaurs and Adeline works to solve the mystery and bring her father back.

I liked the book as it was going back and forth between modern day and the past. Then after about halfway it takes an awesome twist which took the book up a notch and I stayed up very late in order to finish. A fun read.

When his daughter Adeline is accused of murder, Sam confesses to protect her. But in the near future, murderers are not sent to jail, they are sent to the past. Sam's punishment finds him stranded in the Triassic period, while his daughter desperately tries to clear his name.

This was a really interesting book, which turned out very differently to how I'd expected. The mystery was engaging and the twists kept coming until the very end. I personally found the very end of the book to be a little bit of a letdown, but everything leading up to it was a masterpiece! I will definitely be looking up more of the author's work!

I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

A G Riddle has done it again. This time in a stand alone book that is interesting and thought provoking. A very enjoyable read and I would highly recommend this book.

A.G. Riddle is a great science fiction writer. I have read most of his books and have appreciated all. I enjoy time travel books and this is a thriller! Riddle keeps you guessing with twists and turns until literally the last page. It's a excellent book and well worth the read.

Another wild ride from author A.G. Riddle. I read the description for the book and thought sci-fi? Mystery? Thriller? Yep, yep, and yep. If you are looking for great ‘literary fiction’ get out now, but if I are looking for a crazy rollercoaster ride then hop on board. This is the literary equivalent of a summer blockbuster ‘popcorn’ flick…and given the depressing news that seems to be all you see on TV 24/7 lately, it was exactly what I needed: a nice diversion, a short break from reality. Lost in Time features a cool cast of characters with a wild and relentless storyline that is hard to put down. Definitely wouldn’t mind seeing Amazon or Netflix adapt this into a limited series. 4.5 stars. I’d like to thank Head of Zeus and NetGalley for allowing me the opportunity to read and review an eARC of Lost in Time.

A twisting turning thriller that will keep you guessing throughout, this book is a great read! A group of scientist come together to try to create a machine (Absolom) to improve shipping goods faster. They hope to be able to send goods through time (like a transporter), but it failed. They could send things back in time but the things went to a parallel universe. A program was developed to send criminals back a billion years for capital offenses. One of the scientist is murdered and her colleague is convicted and sentenced to Absolom. The remaining scientists scramble to solve the murder and try to get their colleague back. There are all kinds of twists in this plot and you never quite figure out what or where it is going but the read is fantastic!

The best book by this author so far! And the best book of the many I have read so far this year.
I have been reading this author's books for quite a few years, and they have just got better and better!
This was a book of many parts, as I love action I did enjoy the earlier parts a lot, and at first was a little surprised when there was such a change of pace. But I suddenly found I was just as engrossed in the story then as the earlier, more action-filled part.
I did love how twisty this novel became, and how most of the issues that I could find with the story got dealt with at some point. I found it nicely clever, plenty of twists and turns in the story, and with an outcome that I think very few will guess. And it is So Nice to not be able to predict the outcome!
Gerry Riddle is now firmly back in my select group of favourite authors, and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next!

Lost in Time by A.G.Riddle is a timey-wimey, twisty adventure/mystery story. I enjoyed it a lot.
There isn't really much to compare it to to let you know what to expect. The synopsis gives you a little bit but the actual story is a lot more. Sam and his daughter Adeline (Anagram for another character-or vice versa?) are our time lost characters and to say to much more would spoil things.
I think that the ending could be used as a spring board for a follow up book and I hope it is. There are some scenes at the end that seem to repeat but they logically need to due to the nature of the story. It is a fun story that will have you guessing up to the end.
Thank you to #NetGalley, #HeadofZues, and A.G. Riddle for the ARC of #LostinTime.

A. G. Riddle writes an intriguing time travel novel using an imaginative twist. In the future, individuals convicted of murder are sent back 200 million years with no resources. This story follows what occurs when an innocent man is sent back and how his family and friends attempt to correct the injustice.

Mr. Riddle concocts an impressive plot that keeps readers turning pages as each unexpected twist grabs their attention. A remarkable adventure that whets the appetite for more.

Thank you #NetGalley and #HeadofZeus for sending me an ARC of #LostInTime by #AGRiddle.

There is so much to digest with this book it is hard to know where to begin this review. This is an excellent story but it is long and arduous at times. To have the level of imagination that A. G. Riddle is quite impressive. I have read a few other of his stories and they are all like this. Captivating, thrilling, immersive and detailed.

Lost in Time is a time traveling, murder mystery and drama filled story. I have never read anything like this before. This is a four part story.

So much happened in Part One. Scientist Sam Anderson, widower, and his daughter, Adeline, are accused of murdering Sam’s co-worker, Nora. Who also happens to be in a relationship with Sam. Nora’s murder is the first murder in Absolom since the punishment of major crimes were introduced. The punishment…you are sent back in time to an unknown location and time.

Part Two is a split between the lives of Sam and Adeline living with the aftermath of their choices made in part one.

Part Three is an action packed and insightful section. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I thought I had it all figured out, but I so way off to the conclusion of this mystery!

Part Four is the wrap of everything that happened to a wonderful and perfect conclusion. There is no other ending that could satisfy this story.

A.G. Riddle has once again written a story that is original and mesmerizing. I will always be on the lookout for his books.

_Lost in Time_ starts with a mystery (who killed Nora?), involving likeable characters who can’t be as good as they seem, and others with secrets they try to hide. But as the narrative continues, there are enough twists and turns to keep you guessing. I appreciate a time travel story that has suspense without a lot of gratuitous violence. There was an interesting focus on causality and the relationship between past and future. Once I started the book, I finished it the next day because I just wanted to find out what happened next (or before?!).

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for letting me read an advanced copy of the book.

Review
Lost in Time by A.G. Riddle has more twists and turns than the Monaco Grand Prix circuit. Just as you got to the stage where you think you had sussed out where the plot was going or who the instigators were likely to be, there was another dramatic twist.
But that is what made this an above-average Science Fiction story. The actual build-up and the general story development were fascinating. In this particular case, the description does do the book justice.
I was not keen on the whole time-travelling to such a far-flung period of history, even if it was on an alternative Earth. It just seemed to be overkill in every sense of the word. You do not need to send criminals back millions of years so that they would unlikely survive the new surroundings. A few hundred years would probably suffice or even less if you stick them in the right environment.
It did stretch one's belief to think that Sam could survive in open waters in the Triassic period for so long. It just defied logic and reason and seemed highly unlikely. And when Sam did make it onto land, I got just as bored with the descriptive writing during this period as I was when he was at sea. There was plenty of action during this spell. Without giving away too much, he must have been a cat in a previous existence the number of times he managed to avoid death.
That being said, it was probably one of only a few gripes I had in the entire book. One of the others was that young Ryan was pushed to the fringes of the narrative. I believe he should have been more involved, considering his close relationship with his sister Adeline. But it did not spoil the overall enjoyment of this thrilling and enthralling novel.
Lost in Time is a true page-turner and fulfils all its promises. With plenty of action, suspense and intrigue. It is helped by the shorter chapters, which, more often than not, tend to finish on a knife edge.
All the characters in the book are very believable, even if some of their antics are not. But that is the beauty of fiction, and having flawed and relatable characters makes for riveting reading.
If you think it may be getting overly complicated and a touch too intricate, just persevere and stick with it. I think you will find it is well worth the effort.
I thoroughly enjoyed Lost in Time by A.G. Riddle, and I recommend it to all fans of the genre.
Many thanks, Head of Zeus & AdAstra Books, for the advanced copy of the book.

What a fun book to read! Lost in Time is the first book I’ve read by the author, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sam Anderson,one of the creators of the Absolom machine used to transport convicted killers into,the past of an alternate universe, self confesses to the murder of one of his colleagues in order to protect his daughter from being convicted. The story then takes parallel tracks, following Sam as he tries to survive in the late Triassic era, and that of Adeline, his nineteen year old daughter, who seeks the identity of the killer. It’s then that first of the many twists occurs, many of which I never saw coming. Lost in Time then takes many of the conventions we are used to in time travel stories, and flips them on their heads.

A minor annoyance was that each short chapter in the first half of the book ended in cliffhanger style. Otherwise, a fast and very entertaining read.

My thanks is to Head of Zeus and to Netgalley for providing an ARC of the book.

4.5*

This was such an enjoyable and fast-paced book!!

We follow a scientist named Sam and his daughter Adeline, who are arrested for the crime of Sam’s colleague. But the worst part is, criminals are sent back in time to the jurassic period, never to return. When Sam takes the blame and ends up 200 years into the past, Adeline will do whatever it takes to save her father.

Starting off, I thought the writing was very simple and easy to read. The pacing was fast- like really fast- so I was shook when we already got to the jurassic period. We jump from Sam and Adeline’s POVs, and I think the author did well to cut off Sam’s POV quite early, because the story got WILD.

I did not expect to love this book. Adeline begins to search for the real killer, doubting all her father’s friends. She becomes determined to save him, while living with Danielle, one of the other scientists involved in the invention of this strange time machine. I did NOT see those plot twists coming. This book definitely messes with your brain, but it’s super easy to follow.

Adeline was definitely my favourite. I’d say go into this book without any information, and you’ll really enjoy it. it’s got an almost scary dystopian vibe to it, that makes you fearful of the future. The technology is explained well, and I liked the time travel aspect. There isn’t a lot of character development, but I liked the relationships and how they were portrayed. This is a plot-driven book through and through, and definitely one of the best time travel novels out there! I can’t wait to see what this author does next!

Going into this novel I expected some curve balls. What it threw at you I would have never seen coming though. While within the book each chapter ending tries to give you little cliffhangers too.
Lost in Time is told from two perspectives. That of physicist Sam Anderson and his daughter Adeline. Overall this separation of view points helps fill in missing pieces and emotional coverage of what is happening very well.
Overall I think this was a well done book. It is said to be a one shot but I feel the way he ended the book while a good closing left room for more story to be told.

I want to thank Head of Zeus and Net Galley for the opportunity to read tis book as an ARC. This book is a combination murder mystery/time travel storyline. It is set in the near future, a few years after the pandemic. Scientists have discovered a way to send things back in time.It is called Absolom. It has been licensed to the US Government for crime control. Violent criminal are sent into the past- 200 million years in the past, to the time when dinosaurs roamed. The criminals are sent to an alternate time line from our universe. This is so that the time continuum is not altered. The scientists who developed it are a close knit group. They all have secrets and loss in their past. They all have their own reasons for wanting to go back in time.The book begins with a murder. Sam and Nora are 2 of the scientists. Sam's wife passed away a few years before and he has a teenage daughter and a preteen son. Nora and Sam are in a relationship. Sam has taken his daughter, Adeline, to see Nora and to explain that they are seeing each other. Adeline take it as a betrayal of her late mother . Adeline and Sam leave. The next day, they are arrested for Nora's murder. The first section of the book is an investigation of the murder. Sam knows they didn't do it, but the police have iron clad evidence. Sam confesses to save his daughter, knowing he will be put in the Absolom Machine and sent back in time.Adeline promises to find the real killer, with the help of the other scientists, and Daniele, who was the venture capitalist that brought everyone together. The next section of the book was my favorite. The chapters alternated between Adeline in the present, looking for answers, and Sam, in the past( late Triassic era), trying to stay alive. It was riveting, and I was tempted to skip around and read all the present day chapters and then the past chapters in sequence.( I didn't,).Then there is a huge plot twist. I cannot even tease it , for fear of spoilers. It involves Adeline, in a way I never would have imagined. The next section is focused on the development and use of the Absolom machine. It is a bit convoluted, and this was the section that I had the hardest time understanding. Two of the scientists are involved in another project, another version of Absolom . The explanation of this was a bit murky for my taste, however, I was hooked throughout the book. The fourth section ends with another huge plot twist. The last section is a wrapping up of sorts, but more intense.It attempts to close all the plot holes, and find satisfying endings for all of the characters. I felt like I had a few more questions that were not answered. I also felt like the ending was a bit pat. Hence the 4 stars as opposed to 5. However, it was a good twisty ride and I am glad I took it! I looked up the meaning of Absolom- in Hebrew Absalom( slightly different spelling)means Father of Peace.

This book is a little difficult to get into - the final push to start the plot actually rolling takes place 20% of the way into the book - but once that threshold is crossed, it's like you've adopted the pace of the story - everything starts crashing down on you and you start searching for the clues the characters might have missed, for anything that will tell you the Whodunnit.

I finished this book in 4 days. There were points that it was easy to put the book down, and there were points where it was extremely difficult. I had the wrong character pegged from the start, but I've also absorbed a lot of fictional media, and am used to lazy writing. I'm glad this book did something different.

Would have loved more ancient-era scenes, and the writer could have written longer chapters or joined a few together, but that is a matter of personal taste.

Probably not a reread book, but definitely a read-once book.

Brilliant! I enjoyed Lost in Time more than I could have imagined. Intelligent, thought provoking with good science. A.G. Riddle presents a fascinating concept with great characters. My only question was about the paradox of both iterations of the same person sharing a timeline. Well done! A must read.

A scientist who helped develop a time machine to send people to the past is now being sent to the Jurassic era himself. The Absalom is being used to send criminals convicted of horrible murders to the past, to live (or die) on their own. Sam confesses to a crime to save his daughter. Now we have two story lines, both fascinating. Sam is trying to survive in the Jurassic age and must fight off dinosaurs, learn to get food and water, and find a link to get back. In the other timeline, his daughter Adeline is determined to get her Dad back and find out what really happened. Timely-wifey, but terrific fun and a good mystery, I liked the positive ending and enjoyed the story. It only took a short while to have the story grab me and then I was captivated.
Thanks to NetGalley and Head of Zeus for the ARC.

Pub Date: 11/01/22
CW: minor depictions of violence

A big thanks to NetGalley and Head of Zeus for approving me for an eARC. As always, it’s much appreciated.

I started this book the day I lost my cat, so there’s always gonna be that memory attached to reading this book, but one thing that made it just a tiny bit better was the publisher’s name is Head of Zeus. Zeus was my cat’s name and it took everything in me not to burst into tears when I saw that name.

So, one of the things I didn’t like was that it took 100 pages for us to learn exactly what Absolom was and what it did. I spent the first pages when Absolom was mentioned trying to figure out what it was but it was only vaguely referred to as to what it did.

Adeline, understandably, was a very angry character, at least in the first 20% of the book or so. Ryan hardly made any appearances despite how much Adeline and Sam cared for him. And when he did make appearances, he never talked. Ryan probably said maybe, maaaaaaybe, twenty words the entire book.

Things really began to get into gear at the 30% mark. That’s when I found myself reading chapter after chapter after chapter. And the chapters were relatively short too, so it made it easier to binge.

Some of the science just didn’t make sense and as a result, I had to reread and reread to try and make sense of it all. But then again, the super complicated sciency stuff like time travel and quantum entanglement and wormholes have never really been something I’ve been able to wrap my head around so maybe that’s my fault. I love science fiction and my being unable to wrap my mind around something like that isn’t going to stop me from enjoying a book.

This book had so many frickin plot twists it was like a labyrinth. It was insane. I NEVER saw any of the twists coming and I’m usually pretty good at predicting how a book will turn out. That’s one thing I love about sci-fi; it’s wildly unpredictable.

I’m aware I read an ARC, so there’s bound to still be mistakes, but I did notice some continuity issues… little things that just didn’t make sense based off what I had already read. I had to go back and reread and then just ignore the issue because otherwise I’d be thinking about it all day and wouldn’t be able to finish the book.

But all things considered, this was a REALLY good book. I really enjoyed this story and the twists and turns that came with it. I’ve found so many good books thanks to NetGalley and their generosity and I have no doubt this book will be a wonder when it’s publication date finally comes around.