The Bookshop of Secrets

Pub Date 25 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 29 Nov 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheBookshopofSecrets #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A collection of lost books holds the clues to her family's legacyand her future.

Hope Sparrow has mastered the art of outrunning her tragic past, learning never to stay anywhere too long and never to allow anyone control over her life again. Coming to Wanishin Falls in search of her family's history already feels too risky. But somewhere in the towering stacks of this dusty old bookshop are the books that hold Hope's last ties to her late mother—and to a rumored family treasure that could help her start over.

Only, the bookshop is in shambles, and the elderly owner is in the beginning stages of dementia and can’t remember where the books lie. To find the last links to the loved ones she's lost, Hope must stay and accept help from the townsfolk to locate the treasured volumes. Each secret she uncovers brings her closer to understanding where she came from. But the longer she stays in the quaint town, the more people find their way into the cracks in her heart. And letting them in may be the greatest risk of all…

PRICE CA$19.99 (CAD)

Send to Kindle (PDF)

At the beginning of this book, I thought the plot was going to be very ho-hum, but it speeds up and gets interesting fast!

Hope, a newcomer in a small town has a past that she’s hiding from everyone. On the hunt for some family owned heirlooms, she gets a job at a bookstore to search for them. As a book lover, I understand Hope’s love for books and her need to hide from the world.

As Hope’s heart heals, and finds God she also finds romance and the treasure she is on the hunt for. Suspense and action are intermingled with deep issues like trust and forgiveness in this plot.

This book is suitable for teen readers and I was given a copy in exchange for my review.

What a sweet story of redemption, restoration and healing as main characters find clues to their past, their families, the town. Through separating fact from fiction, both Hope and Ronan find themselves and more. This initial offering from Mollie Rushmeyer ensures that I will search for her books in the future. The picturesque descriptions of Wanishin Falls and threads of literary quotes are a joy to read. The bit of mystery plus uncertainty adds extra, enjoyable layers.

I received a complimentary copy of the book without obligation. This review is my opinion.

The title had me at "Bookshop." After working in a used bookstore for fifteen years and handling valuable books, I was drawn into The Bookshop of Secrets like a moth is drawn to light. I learned what makes a book valuable and how to sell those valuable books at reasonable prices. The story that is presented in this book is one that is tragic in so many ways, but it is still uplifting and satisfying to read.
Hope Sparrow (nee Emily Carrington) has come to Wanishin Falls, Michigan, to find the books her mother left to her before she died. She knows they were shipped to the Dusty Jackets book store, but what she finds in the Dusty Jackets is a man within the throes of dementia whose memory comes and goes. She also finds the man's grandson, Ronan, who loves his grandfather and step-grandmother dearly and would do anything within his power to help them. Through the Ronan's help, Hope finds some of the books that are missing and encounters a sleazy book seller. Piece by piece, she puts together the real legacy her mother left for her and finds out where her true home is.

Mollie Rushmeyer has written a book that has it all, from sleazy businessmen to unscrupulous treasure hunters, to wounded souls, to hope-filled characters who build up the wounded and make them a home. This was one of the most rewarding books I've read in a while. I hope to read more by Mollie.

Five Stars, Two Thumbs Up, and a first edition three volume set of Jane Eyre.

Harlequin Romance provided the copy I read for this review. All opinions expressed are solely my own.

In The Bookshop of Secrets, a quaint bookshop, a delightful elderly couple, and a possible romance paint a cheerful picture over a deeper story. Hope Sparrow has changed her name, but she cannot change her past, nor forget the tragic and traumatic events she endured. Now that she is free to control her own life, she heads to Wanishin Falls to try and find the beloved classic books her mother left for her before she died. Only the books aren't there anymore.

So begins a far deeper story than I was anticipating, but am not the least bit saddened by that fact. This is a great bookish tale to curl up with this fall!

This book was sent to me by Netgalley for review. The characters are likable and quirky from the protagonist to the store owners. Secrets…lost or hidden books… new mysteries…I enjoyed this book and look forward to more from this talented author. This is a cozy read and goes quickly. Who doesn’t love a bookstore mystery? Thanks to the author for writing this one.

Hope Sparrow has mastered the art of outrunning her tragic past, learning never to stay anywhere too long and never to let anyone control her life again. Coming to Wanishin Falls in search of her family's history already feels too risky. But somewhere in the towering stacks of this dusty old bookshop are the books that hold Hope's last ties to her late mother—and to a rumored family treasure that could help her start over.

I was hooked from the moment I read the title. A book about books will always catch my eye, and Mollie Rushmeyer did not disappoint me. When I read the first few chapters, I was unsure how I felt, but then it picked up, and I found myself drawn to Hope and Ronan, their growth, and friendship. I experienced all the feelings during this story. The two main characters felt real and relatable as they struggle with demons from their past. This story has a little bit of everything, mystery, friendship, and love.

The only thing for me is I wish I had read this book in the winter next to the fireplace with a cup of hot cocoa because I wanted nothing more than to be cozy while I read it. But that's a me problem, not a book problem.

Thank you, Harlequin Romance, for this ARC.

I really enjoyed reading this book, it had all the elements of a good story and great characters. I was captivated by Hope and I enjoyed that she had a bookshop. I love books of all kinds so this was a enjoyable element to the book. I loved getting to know the rest of the characters, I really grew to love everyone in this book.

"Oh, Daisy May, how does your garden grow? I’m making lunch, dear!” Ulysses’s singsong words drifted to the women near the front of the shop."

I felt so bad in this one sentence, I've known real people that get older and forget and this line and the line after was gut wrenching.

"It’s in our broken places God plants seeds of hope. He will grow something beautiful from ashes. Believe it.”

Thank you to NetGalley, Mollie Rushmeyer, and Harlequin-Romance/Love Inspired Trade for providing this e-ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This was such a cute story with healing and romance. It was overall a happy story that I found myself smiling at while reading. The plot was interesting and it reads pretty fast. I would highly recommend this book!

This review will be posted to my Goodreads and Amazon accounts immediately and to my instagram account @ginganinja333 upon publication on 10/25/2022.

This story dealt with the difficult subject of a woman struggling with the aftermath of human traffic, so it wasn't a "fun" read, but I appreciated how the author incorporated faith, romance and a little mystery into the character's healing journey.

This book was hard to rate because I wasn't sure how I felt about it all the way through. And that's not bad. I felt my emotions changing throughout. From excitement at a mystery to empathy and all the despair Hope felt at times to the hope Hope tried so hard to feel as she got closer and closer to Ronin. It was an emotional roller coaster.

What made this 5 starts for me was the Christian content which is rare to find done so well. It wasn't too much that it overtook the story but yielded itself at the right times in all the right amounts. I could see Hope starting to cling to her faith in order to heal from her past. I also really liked how she found she could trust God and trust in romance. It was a nice marriage of the two.

There were a lot of tough subjects I felt the author handled very well.

Very well done!