The Shortest History of Europe

How Conquest, Culture, and Religion Forged a Continent

Pub Date 08 Nov 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #TheShortestHistoryofEurope #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

An astonishingly clarifying chronicle of the decisive moments that shaped a world-changing continent

Propelled by a thesis of startling simplicity, celebrated historian John Hirst’s fast-paced account of the making of modern Europe—from Ancient Greece to today—illuminates the continent as never before. Just three elements—German warrior culture, Greek and Roman learning, and Christianity—account for everything from the Crusades to the Industrial Revolution. Hirst’s razor-sharp grasp of cause and effect helps us see with sparkling clarity how the history of Europe—and the crucible of liberal democracy—shapes the way we live now.

Advance Praise

“Crisp, lucid, and evocative.”—Australian Book Review

“A wise, illuminating little book.”—The Sydney Morning Herald

“An entertaining, learned piece of historical compression.”—The Age

“Beautifully and sparely constructed, yet rich in fact, feeling and detail, sweeping, challenging and funny.”—James Button, journalist and editor

“Great stuff, the book as a whole is constantly thought-provoking.”—Courier Mail

“Crisp, lucid, and evocative.”—Australian Book Review

“A wise, illuminating little book.”—The Sydney Morning Herald

“An entertaining, learned piece of historical compression.”—The Age

“Beautifully...

ISBN 9781615199143

This is a funny humorous short history of England from the Jameses to their descendents to their religious practice and more it’s all in this book I found an easy to understand and it also made me laugh and parts. If you log history then you’ll like this book it really is a fun short read. I received this book from NetGalleyShelf and I am leaving this review voluntarily please forgive any mistakes as I am blind and dictate my review.