Prep School for Serial Killers

Pub Date 01 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 04 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #PrepSchoolforSerialKillers #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In a war-ravaged future, a boarding school cloisters and trains sociopathic children.

When top student, sixteen-year-old Anathema Blight, finds a graduate’s hidden journal, she wonders if they’re simply students, or pawns in a much more dangerous game…and the final exam will be MURDER.

Advance Praise

"“Prep School for Serial Killers is a daring story of survival, betrayal, and self-discovery set amid an uncompromising vision of a dystopian future. Tara Platt's incisive narrative grabs the reader and doesn't let go from the first page to the book's thrilling (and bloody) conclusion. This is a wonderfully wild tale filled with twists and turns, shifting allegiances, a deeply layered mystery, and a cunning protagonist willing to do anything to survive.”

- G. D. Falksen, author of Maiden of War, The Secret Life of Kitty Granger, and The Ouroboros Cycle

“Imagine a book where Hogwarts exists in The Hunger Games universe and its students have more in common with Villanelle from Killing Eve than Harry Potter––sound like fun? Then you’re gonna love the seriously bad ass mayhem of Tara Platt’s new novel, Prep School For Serial Killers. Platt has a real penchant for clever writing and dark humor…but it’s the way she makes you feel for the psychopathic, anti-heroine at the center of this maelstrom of murder that’ll truly break your heart.”

- Amber Benson, author of The Witches of Echo Park, the Calliope Reaper-Jones series, and actress from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I loved it. The atmosphere, the ambiance, the characters. Everything was great. I loved the writing and I was so in it. Definitely a great read. Maybe more for fall though.

(Thank you to Netgalley and BooksGoSocial for an eARC in exchange for an honest review)

The concept of this book drew me in instantly and I ended up loving it!

It was well written and easy to read, though there were some parts that were a little over-written and wordy. The plot was super tense, fast-paced and had me hooked the entire time. And that ending!!! I have so many questions!!! The characters were all excellent and I found myself rooting for the main character from the beginning.

I will mention that it is pretty gory and has vivid descriptions of violence so if this is something that you don't like, this definitely isn't the book for you.

Thank you to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for this eARC!

The description immediately intrigued me and I was not disappointed. The concept was so interesting and I enjoyed the twists and turns, and all the mystery and suspense. You can't help but feel for the characters and feel like you're with them in the trenches, which makes the ending wonderfully heartbreaking.

I really liked this book. I love the concept, which, as it was promoted, reminded me of Harry Potter, Hunger Games and Killing Eve. It's an original idea and it's very enjoyable to read about. I loved all the plot twists, the humor, the characters. The story and the characters' experiences were very touching and sweet.

Anathema, the main character, was really good, and I loved reading her POV. She's kind of an antiheroine, and she's very strong and cunning and we can see she's willing to do anything to succeed. We need more protagonists like that. The pacing was good and the themes are fascinating. I liked the writing style too and I loved the mystery and the suspense. It was great.

The ending was heartbreaking but I loved it, it's so important to me and it was done very well. I strongly enjoyed this book and would love to read more by this author.

I really enjoyed reading this, the description is what drew me in from the beginning. I loved the idea of a school that trains killers. Then when I read this book it had all sorts of twists and turns that once I started I couldn't stop til the end. It had a great dark humor that I was looking for and I loved the main character. You really felt for the characters in this book and it was wonderfully heartbreaking.

"Whoever finds this, I hope you have escaped. That you have found a way to overthrow the governing forces and build a life for yourself. It may be too late for me. I will never know freedom – what it feels like to travel the world without fear, to make choices that are not imposed by the state, to choose who I love…and what I fight for."

This book was definitely a thrill ride! It was well written and interesting. One of my only complaints was that as someone else has seated, it did remind me a lot of hunger games. Even though it was very similar to The hunger games I still really enjoyed the book. Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this Arc in exchange for an honest review.

A really enjoyable read that was atmospheric, twisty and creepy. Well writtem with a gripping story and well developed characters. I loved it.

This whole book was totally insane. Insanely good. You read from a sociopath's perspective and the world is entirely fucked. But damn, is it ever good.

At first, i was gonna give up on this book, mostly because the first few chapters weirded out me a little bit with their take on psychopaths, however, I ended up trying again and had a nice time!! It has a very nice hook and it's very easy to read.
This book has a really fun concept, that is pulled off quite well, it is overall quite entertaining and I can see why the comparisons to the Hunger Games ring true, not only in concept but in execution, both are very quick and fun reads. I liked Anathema as a character a lot! Overall, the entire cast of characters was quite enjoyable.
I think this book can find an audience quite easily, the dystopic world it presents is very interesting and it has hints of dark academia-vibes perhaps? Overall, I do think this will be a hit among YA readers honestly!

I really enjoyed this one, the description sounded right up my street and did not disappoint. I really liked the concept of this book. There was so much suspense and dark turns, it really kept you on your toes.

reading from a sociopaths perspective is what really engrossed me. the characters weren’t insufferable which was good, it was hard to connect to the main character at first but it didn’t take long to start really liking her.

I liked the idea of the journal however it did leave me with a lot of questions at the end. I wished that someone had purposely planted the journal rather than it being a coincidence. While I enjoyed this book I do feel like the ending could’ve been a tad better as I had many unanswered questions.

I really, thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Anathema is one of hundreds in schools to learn to be assassins. Everyone these days are psychopaths and, therefore, make the best killers. Leading up to Killslip Day, the day where the students test their skills on their peers, Anathema starts to discover that maybe there’s a much larger force at work and where exactly does she stand?

The writing was very detailed, so much so that I’m hesitant to agree in classifying this book as young adult. Some of the imagery is pretty graphic and some of the language in the beginning is relatively advanced depending on the age of the reader.

All in all, great book! I gave it a 4.5 and will recommending this to everyone! I also really hope there’s a sequel when the time comes because I love Anathemas story and can’t wait to hear more.

A School for assassins, the whole concept of everyone at school being a psychopath, the faculty which comprises of actual serial killers and criminals, what else can a fantasy reader ask for. When I stumbled across this title, I just read the title and picked it up blind, and it was one of the most mind-blowing books I have ever read. With the whole school setting, it gave a very Harry Potter vibe but instead of spells, it was elaborate killing methodologies.
Certain killing sections of the books are pretty graphic, but that was expected too as you know we are talking about a bunch of novice serial killers. But the way the story progressed from a strict educational institution to the point where it's evident that there's some bigger power at play, is absolutely commendable.
Ana's story kept me hooked from the start to the very end. Looking forward to the sequel of the book and would love to read it as soon as it gets released.

I found this book to be a solid entry in the this is a special/magical school you're attending genre of young adult fiction. It was refreshing to have a character that was focused on success instead of romance. I liked the idea that these students were all sociopaths and immune to the emotion of killing. Anathema was an interesting main character and her exploration of her past and eventual emotions was nuanced. The ending of the book was anticipated with the end of year killed a but I found the actual event to be a little bit rushed and the introduction of the doing factions to be a little bit late in the game. I do think the ending leaves is well set up for a sequel that will hopefully flush out more of the conflicting factions.

Written with well developed characters and plotlines, <i>Prep School for Serial Killers</i> is an atmospheric and dark, dystopian read that ranks up with some of the better books I have read this year.

This was such a unique book. The world set up was new, and the mystery was attention-grabbing. The idea of a boarding school that trained serial killers was amazing. The characters were well fleshed out, and I greatly enjoyed reading it.

A dark dystopian thriller in the same vein as the hunger games. This world breeds and trains serial killers —assassins. Kill or be killed is the motto. Our main character is questioning everything.

Brutal, dark, visceral and gory, this book gripped me from the top. The ending felt a little rushed and confused but that could be bc things are left open for a sequel and I can’t wait to read it.

If Jason Bourne had a daughter, it’d be Anathema.

I thought this book was such a breath of fresh air. There’s no detracting love story, no damsel in distress, no calling upon memories of mom and dad to propel her forward—just one badass girl following her own intuition and forging her path based on strengths that she’s relentlessly honed over years and years. Ana WORKS to kill and not be killed, and a teenager feeling alone but pushing through each scenario, each day, is a pretty accurate portrayal of adolescence for many.

(I did have to laugh at the callback to a card catalog in the library. I’m not sure than in 2022 kids would know how to use one, let alone 100+ years in the future.)

“Weakest part” (for me) was that there were several characters with some murky motives for actions—but it holds true to the idea that it’d be hard to get a clear character arc of trained assassins. It’s also a genuine reflection of human nature. Sometimes the unlikely can be allies, at least for a moment, and sometimes people are so multi-layered that you’ll never get to the core of who they are.

This is definitely set up for a series, but is still gratifying as a stand alone.

I’d have to warn my students about extreme gore (even though I LOVED the vivid descriptions of wounds!).

I mean - who doesn't like books/shows about serials killers - LOL. When I read the description I was immediately intrigued- and this book did not disappoint. I mean, what a concept! So many twists and turns....great mystery and suspense; you can't help but feel connected to the characters - like you're right there with them. I loved that they are sociopaths and immune to the emotion of killing. MC Anathema was very interesting, I liked her exploration of the past The ending is very heartbreaking.

Thank you to BooksGoSocial and NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this digital arc

A surprising book. The almost gentle, matter of fact style of prose made what could have been a truly disturbing story into something great. The main character is likeable and smart. The world building is interesting, giving us just enough and not trying to explain too much. The twist was a little predictable but I didn't care.
Can't wait to see where Anathama's story goes next.

thank you netgalley for the arc!!

the beginning was a little difficult to get into, but things start picking up a little later in the book and at that point, this book becomes a fast paced thrilling page turner. I really enjoyed the dystopian aspect of the book as well as the mystery aspect of what is actually going on behind the scenes at school. It was really fun to read and I hope there is a second book.

Anathema Blight is an orphan enthralled by ways to kill. She has been living at the school for serial killers for most of her life. Recently she came across a journal by a former student named Mary and had begun to question everything she has been taught. She knows she must be at her best because at this school it is literally kill or be killed and most of the students are not expected to make it out alive. Her final exam sets her up to kill a professor that seems to be the cause of most of her trouble the past school year. Is she going to be able to complete her kill or will she be killed in the process?

I was pulled in from the first chapter. I found myself arguing with different characters and talking to Anathema out-loud, asking her why she did this or that. I "felt" her pain and am so hoping there is a sequel to this book. It is a great stand-alone, but I need more!

I was given the opportunity to read this by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you to NetGalley for the arc.

I really enjoyed this book! That being said, it is not for the squeamish. The entire plot of the book focuses around murder, more often than not it is murder of the gruesome type. I loved the take on the idea of a school for killers and I thought it was excellently executed. I was a little confused in the beginning about the flashbacks but everything was tied up at the end. I also really liked Ana's character arc. She goes from being confident and withdrawn to scared and emotional. That's not an arc that I see often in literature so it was a treat to see it portrayed here.

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Tara Platt for providing me with a complimentary digital ARC for Prep School for Serial Killers coming out September 1, 2022. The honest opinions expressed in this review are my own.

In a future society, a school is set up for elite students who test high on the Psychopath Scale. The school direct their talents toward becoming Assassins. They just have to survive the graduation ritual of Kill Slip Day. Anathema knows she has exceptional deadly skills. She finds a journal in her room that belongs to Mary. Her eyes are opened as she relates to Mary’s journey. She becomes a chess piece in the game at school and soon starts to question everything she knows.

Overall, I enjoyed this story. I loved the diary entries format throughout the book. I think I was expecting a little more serial killer behavior based on the title of the book. I thought it’d be more like Deadly Class or something with the students trying to kill each other more throughout the book. I think it was more sci-fi than serial killers for me. I did really love the last 25% of the book. I thought it was the best part.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys sci-fi futuristic societies.

This book so took my breath away. It keeps up a furiously exciting pace right throughout the book. The only bit I did not like was the ending - it obviously is the first of a series of books. I really need to know what happens to Ana. Very exciting and a bit gory but look at the title, what would you expect.

This novel is set amid an uncompromising vision of a dystopian future. It was an intriguing and absorbing read. I really enjoyed this book and it will appeal fans of thrillers.

This book was thrilling! I loved the pace of it as it captured my attention so quickly! The premise was well written and is the main reason I wanted to read an arc and it lived up to my expectations! I wish I had read this during autumn as the vibes would’ve matched perfectly, but I still enjoyed it regardless of the season.

I just finished Prep School for Serial Killers. Overall, I enjoyed the book and am now hoping for a sequel! This can't be the end of Anathema's journey! I need to know more!
I will say that the book did start off a bit slowly. But, I was intrigued by what the book was about, which kept me pushing through the beginning. And I'm glad I did! I have so many questions, though! And I am dying to know more about the deeper story- the school's role in everything, what the outside world is like, and how and why the government is pushing for so many trained assassins.
I will say that after reading the book, I feel like the title doesn't fit very well. It seems to be that the students are trained to be assassins, and not necessarily serial killers.
Again, overall this book is very good. It really starts picking up speed around the halfway point, and doesn't stop until the last page! I hope to read a sequel someday soon!

Thank you to Netgalley and BooksGoSocial for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

The title of this book instantly caught my eye as it seemed right up my alley and unlike anything I had yet read. A school for training killers?! I absolutely loved it.

The writing is superb! It’s fast paced and there were so many twists and turns. There is dark humor and even some gore.

If you’re into that kind of thing, I definitely recommend.

I really enjoyed this ya dystopian book. I enjoyed that the main character didn’t go after a romance and loved the whole premise. It’s the dystopian story we love but with new and fresh ideas

I'm going, to be honest - I saw the title and I was intrigued instantly! I am happy to say I was not let down with this one. It's a horror fan's perfect wish but be warned it is very gory, if you're sensitive to gore and violence this is NOT the book for you. The story is an easy-to-read fast-paced adventure that will leave you hooked and on the edge of your seat until the very end. I LOVED this one.

This book was thrilling in all the ways I hoped for! It delivered on the promise of the premise and really out did it with its twists and turns. Prep school for serial killers, for me was such a fun, thrilling read. The main character is one to root for in my opinion and the lush, dark world that was built was so good.