Mr Campion's Mosaic

Pub Date 04 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 30 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #MrCampionsMosaic #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Albert Campion travels to Dorset as he attempts to get to the bottom of a series of shocking events connected to a TV adaptation of one of Evadne Childe's famous novels.

"Ripley’s brilliant inventiveness demonstrates that golden age characters and tropes can still work for contemporary fair-play fans"- Publishers Weekly Starred Review

London, 1972. The Evadne Childe Society has gathered in honour of what would have been the author's eighty-second birthday, and Albert Campion is there as a reluctant guest speaker and ceremonial birthday cake cutter.

But Campion's oratory skills aren't the only thing in demand. A TV remake of a twenty-year-old film adaptation of one of Evadne's classic novels, The Moving Mosaic, has been derailed by someone attempting to murder the leading man - the latest in a series of increasingly disturbing incidents - and the society wants Campion to investigate. Who is determined to sabotage the production at any cost, and why?

Travelling to the picturesque village of Kingswalter Manor in Dorset where filming is due to start, Campion soon stumbles upon dark secrets, ghosthunters, an impressive mosaic, and murder.

"Ripley’s brilliant...

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

‘Campion, a word if you please.’

London, 1972. The Evadne Childe Society convenes to celebrate what would have been the author’s eighty-second birthday. Albert Campion, invited as a last-minute replacement guest speaker, is invited to cut the cake. But after the cake is eaten, Mr Campion finds that his investigatory skills are also sought. There is to be a television remake of a twenty-year old film adaptation of one of Evadne Childe’s novels ‘The Moving Mosaic’, and someone seems to be trying to sabotage the production. But who, and why?

Albert Campion travels to Kingswalter Manor in Dorset, where filming is to take place. Assisted by his son Rupert, a ‘resting’ actor and the formidable Magersfontein Lugg, Mr Campion soon discovers a series of dark secrets and more than one mystery. And no, I did not manage to work out who was trying to sabotage the film until very close to the end.

I really enjoy this series (this is the tenth instalment) and I think this is one of the best yet. Mr Campion has a wonderful turn of phrase and Magersfontein Lugg is definitely one of my favourite characters. I really should make time to go back to the beginning and read Margery Allingham’s original series.

‘As he was now seventy-two years old, although he would insist, still as fit as a Stradivarius, Mr Campion maintained publicly that he was ready for a quiet life of retirement out of the public eye.’

Note: My thanks to NetGalley and Severn House for providing me with a free electronic copy of this book for review purposes.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

This is book 10 in the Mike Ripley series where he picks up the stories of Albert Campion where Margery Allingham left off. I have read them all and have enjoyed them quite a lot, enough that I make sure to read each one as it is released. Picking up where Allingham left off meant that Ripley was presented with a gentleman sleuth in his 70s (here he's 72), so I've enjoyed watching Ripley handle that interesting situation. So far, very good.

Albert finds himself as the main speaker at the annual gathering of the Evadne Childe Society to celebrate what would have been her 82nd birthday. After the speeches, and before he could get any birthday cake, Albert finds out why the society wanted him to attend. It seems there is a notion abroad that the BBC is going to do a remake of one of Childe's novels for television and very unpleasant things seem to be happening to those involved in getting the project going. Naturally Albert agrees to traveling into deepest, darkest Dorset to check out all that is going on.

This novel feels a little lighter in tone than most of the others. Albert is helped by Lugg, Charlie Luke, and Rupert, his son and heir. Rupert is also a "resting" actor so he has a reason of his own for wanting to accompany his father. I enjoyed this one very much and waited patiently to find out exactly how one would go about moving a mosaic floor. The mystery is quite good too. These stories are written with great sensitivity to the works of Margery Allingham. If you are a fan of her work, you can safely dip into this continuing series because all the characters are still just as she developed them.

Thank you to NetGalley and Severn House Publishing for an e-galley of this novel.

Campion In Demand..,
The eleventh in the Albert Campion series of mysteries finds Campion in Dorset following a series of bizarre occurrences. Having been a speaker, albeit reluctant, at the Evadne Childe Society gathering to celebrate what would have been the celebrated author’s eighty second birthday, he has once again found himself in demand. It appears as though someone is attempting to sabotage the television adaptation of one of Evadne’s most famous books. Is someone trying to murder the leading man? The Society wants Campion to investigate. Campion is soon to find himself deep in the depths of something very disturbing. With a perfectly crafted cast of characters, an immersive storyline and a wonderfully evocative turn of phrase this is another delightful and wholly enjoyable addition to this superlative series.

I'd never read any of the Marjory Allingham Campion stories. I picked up this book because I liked the blurb. A detective visiting a literary society where a murder takes place. Throw in a film and a Roman mosaic and I was hooked. The story was a solid read keeping me interested throughout the story with only a minor drop in the middle. I sadly can't compare it to the originals, but if this is any indiction then it'll be worth reading some of them.

Campion, a man in his seventies is invited to be a guest speaker at the Evadne Childe Society conference. Whilst there, he is persuaded to investigate a problem the society are having with getting a TV programme made of the books of Childe. Intrigued by the mystery, Campion agrees and with his son Rupert, 'a resting actor' heads for deepest Dorset.

The story was a delightful read. The characters interacted with each other really well. I loved the landlord of the Dorset pub who put a BBC crewman in hospital after eating one of his 'curries'. Lugg, Campions foil, is a great likeable character who for some reason made me think of Brian Glover (the school teacher in Kes), but with a posh accent. The village in Dorset seemed like a beautiful place. I could almost smell the grass and trees. All in all the story was a solid read. The story was set in the seventies, but something in my head had me placing it in the thirties. It had that same style of writing of books from that era.

All in all a good book and recommended if you like those writers like Agatha Christe and Majory Allingham.