Ice Cycle

Poems about the Life of Ice

Pub Date 04 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 31 Oct 2022
Lerner Publishing Group, Millbrook Press ™

Talking about this book? Use #IceCycle #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Pancake ice, floebergs, glaciers, icicles . . . cold temperatures create an astonishing variety of ice forms! From Maria Gianferrari, award-winning author of Play Like an Animal!, comes a beautiful collaboration between verse and science. Brief poems and ethereal illustrations introduce readers to the many different types of ice on land and at sea. Fascinating back matter provides additional information about water as a solid, liquid, and gas, as well as more details about the unique forms of ice mentioned in the poems. Celebrate winter with this evocative and atmospheric exploration of ice!

Advance Praise

"A rewarding exploration of a common substance's complex nature."—Kirkus Reviews

PAGES 32

Send to Kindle (PDF)

What I love most about this book is how it encompasses art and science all at once. The poems are entertaining and insightful, while the images help to explain and describe the science. The images are beautiful and I can't wait to read more books like this. It is a fantastic book for learning.

What a great, informative book on ice and the ice cycle. I loved the poetic devices found throughout. Would be excellent for naming and noticing poetic devices and exploring how to choose science based books for poetry writing. This book could prove a doorway into high interest writing for many children in upper grades. Love it!

Fantastic poetry book that spans language arts and science curriculum for elementary students on the life cycle of ice from our homes to the polar ice caps. We loved Maria Gianferrari's short, fun poems with great use of onomatopoeia that I think little learners will really enjoy. I think what I appreciated most about this book is that some of the more challenging science terms are included in Jieting Chen's gorgeous, modernist illustrations so that a child (or their grown up) can focus on the poem and move into the vocabulary as their comfort level permits. It is a really approachable way to teach that I think will lead to many repeat readings. Rich back matter with extensive glossary and discussion of physical states of water that should be great for upper elementary readers. I see this book being taken outside in winter! Highly recommend!!! Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the chance to read. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4844726059

This book is a mix of science and language arts. You’ll learn about the Ice Life Cycle and different kinds of ice while enjoying poems about the ice. In the back you’ll find information about ice. This is the perfect book for a Poetry Tea Time, science, or to read at bedtime.

Thank you NetGalley and Lerner Publishing Group for the opportunity to review this book.