Username: Doll Child

Pub Date 15 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 14 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #UsernameDollChild #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Book 1 in the best-selling Roland Benito series.

On a humid and rain-filled summer day in the Danish suburb of Brabrand, the body of a ten-year-old girl is found lifeless in a dumpster. Detective Inspector Roland Benito is immediately put on the case.

Reporter Anne Larsen and freelance photographer, Kamilla Holm, are covering the case for The Daily News and the deeper they look into the story, the more entangled they become. It quickly becomes apparent to all involved, that the crime is linked to an internet chat site where the murdered girl had a profile. The hunt for the killer is on.

But things start to get complicated when the victim’s best friend mysteriously disappears. She too had a profile on the chat site. She too lied about her age.

‘Doll Child’ is the chilling story of the dark side to the internet, where no-one knows who is hiding behind that username or what they're capable of doing.

For fans of Karin Slaughter, Tess Geritsen and Ian Rankin.

Book 1 in the best-selling Roland Benito series.

A Note From the Publisher

Inger Gammelgaard Madsen is a prolific Danish crime writer, most famous for her Rolando Benito detective series. She has always been creative and was a graphic designer before returning to her first love, writing. Deeply fascinated by police work and forensics, crime fiction was a natural progression, and true crime events inspire all her stories. Madsen is also the author behind the 'Teilmann' series, which was picked as an Audible Original title and published in four languages.

EDITION Ebook
PRICE £10.99 (GBP)

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

So much pain and anguish line these pages from various perspectives. I’ve never quite read a book like this but the storytelling was superb.

There is so much to this book than a missing and murdered child. So many lives are intertwined and the web of lies just keeps growing.

Every person involved in this case has a story to tell. But who’s telling the truth? The shift in perspective and coinciding storylines merged well and added something I can’t quite put my finger on.

Username: Doll Child by Inger Gammelgaard Madsen is the first book of a long-running series. I am not familiar with the rest of the series, not sure if this is the first to be translated, but if the others are I look forward to reading them.

When I know a book is the first in a series I tend to read with somewhat altered expectations. I still want a good mystery and a compelling case/investigation, but I also accept a bit more character background to help establish recurring characters in the readers' mind for future volumes. Taking all of this into account, I was pleased enough to look forward to the rest of the volumes being translated.

On the topic of characters, I know that the series is called the Roland Benito series but based on the time spent on background, as well as their importance to the case (and the plot), I am imagining this as more of a team series than an individual series. I would love for someone who has read the rest of the series to let me know, since I found some of the other characters more interesting.

While I thought the story could have been a little smoother (by that I mean fewer stops and starts) I was invested enough to keep reading and working through the clues. The images brought to mind were not pretty but stopped, I think, well short of being particularly gruesome.

I would recommend this to readers who might be looking for a new (to them) series. I am assuming that the decision to translate the first volume in a long-running series means they will be translating the rest.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.