The Village Vicar

A gorgeously uplifting new read from the bestselling author of A Village Affair

Pub Date 19 Jan 2023 | Archive Date 19 Jan 2023

Talking about this book? Use #TheVillageVicar #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Fans of Katie Fforde, Phillipa Ashley and The Vicar of Dibley will love this heartwarming and witty new novel from Julie Houston.

Three devoted sisters... One complicated family.

When Rosa Quinn left her childhood home in Westenbury, she never expected to return over a decade later as the village vicar. But after a health scare and catching her boyfriend cheating, Rosa jumps at the chance to start over and live closer to her triplet sisters Eva and Hannah.

But Rosa's isn't the only recent return to the village, and when her role in the parish throws her into the path of her ex, she begins to wonder if she's made a terrible mistake. Meanwhile, Eva and Hannah face their own troubles, as secrets about their family threaten to emerge.

Can Rosa make a life for herself in Westenbury? Or will the sisters discover that you can't run away from the past?

Praise for Julie Houston's books:
'A warm, funny story of sisters and the secrets they keep' Sheila O'Flanagan
'Warm, funny and well written, with a page-turning plot, this book has everything! I loved it!' Katie Fforde
'Julie Houston at her best – heartfelt and hilarious' Sandy Barker
'Laugh-out-loud hilarious and heartwarming!' Mandy Baggot
'This book is an absolute gigglefest with characters you'll fall in love with!' Katie Ginger

When Rosa Quinn left...

EDITION Ebook
PRICE £2.99 (GBP)

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

This looks like such a great and fun read! I love sister themed novels. Full review to follow both here and on the blog. I can’t wait to see how this book pans out especially with Rosa bumping into her ex. Def going to make a beach read,

Three and a half stars.

Rosa Quinn, former high-flying financial entrepreneur (yep, you got it, I can't recall what it was she did) jacked it all in after a relationship crashed and burned and she suffered a massive health scare. Now, six years later, she has retrained as a vicar and has returned to her home town of Westenbury, Yorkshire as the new parish vicar, following in the footsteps of her late (but not lamented) grandfather Cecil.

Rosa is a triplet. Her sisters Hannah and Eva also live close by. Eva is a dentist, married with two children. Hannah works for child legal services and is single, but having an affair with a married man which she can't seem to end.

The triplets have an unusual history. Born of a night of passion between famous artist Alice Parkes and Bill Astley, Marquess of Stratton, they were adopted by Alice's sister Susan and her husband Richard when Alice casually informed them that she intended to put the babies up for adoption!

Twenty years ago (ish) the triplets all had a pash on the new boy in town, Joe Rosavina, now nothing seems to have changed, there's a new dentist at Eva and her husband Rayan's practice, Sam Burrows, and all three of them are smitten. But Joe is also back in town - will Rosa rekindle the romance?

This was quite difficult to get into at first, there was the whole backstory with Alice and her father and sister. Then there was the backstory of each of the triplets to get through - about a quarter of the way through I didn't really know where it was going or why Rosa had left London to return to Yorkshire. However, it did all resolve itself in the end.

Once things got straightened out I enjoyed this book, the love/hate relationship the triplets had felt real and they were each facing their own issues.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

The Village Vicar by Julie Houston

This was a really lovely and endearing read. Enjoyed the dynamics of the triplets and there individual lives.
The character Rosa was an interesting one , and I feel this could be the first in a series as I am keen to find out more.
It would also work well as a tv series of even a film.

The Village Vicar is one of those books I raced to finish and then had to slow down because I didn't want it to end.

#NoSpoilers but this an absolute cracker of a story, Ms. Houston has created a rich cast of relatable characters and in triplets Rosa, Eva and Hannah has absolutely nailed the nuances of both sibling and parental relationships.

I love the village of Westenbury and the lives and loves of its inhabitants that the author has created there.

I laughed and I cried and as satisfying as the ending was, I was sad for Rosa, Hannah and Eva's story to be over.

A great read.

Highly recommend.

This book was just fabulous. Three great women, three triplets getting in with their lives in a small village. What they do clearly links together and intertwines, and we follow them on a bit of a roller coaster few months with some flash backs to their conception, upbringing and major decisions made for them or by them. Such a good and easy read - well worth staying awake to read in one sitting!

I like this author and I think I was probably expecting more from the story then there was. It’s a about Rosa Quinn who moved away and has come to her old childhood house! Will she be able to stay in the same village as her Ex! A good read

I was not sure about this book at first. It jumps around a lot but fab story about triplets ,art , aristocratic people and some interesting twists. It was a book that kept giving. Loved it

Wow what a brilliant book. got totally lost in it and didn't want to put it down. Could identify with the sisters, story was realistic and thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved all the references to the places it mentioned and the ideas where brilliant, will definitely be looking to read other books by this author.

Brilliant storyline and amazing writing, fab characters, loved Alice and bill and of course their triplets, posh titles and inherited land doesn't mean they have to behave a certain way does it? This book has a lot of light hearted moments in it, really couldn't put this read down

Rosa gives up her high flying career after a health scare to train as vicar. She then gets sent to her childhood village that she hasn't been back to in years. Her 2 sisters are delighted to have her back.

Fabulous book. I loved it and was all the better for being written by all three triplets. The book was funny, sweet and funny. Everything you want from a summer read. It was a really lovely read.
Thank you netgalley for this arc in exchange for an honest review.

I was fooled into almost not reading the rest of this after not really enjoying the first chapter but when the story moved on it all changed. There were many unexpected moments and nothing was entirely predictable which is a positive for me. I liked the relationship between the three sisters who had their differences but throughout it all were family and always supported each other. I feel like family acting like a supportive family is quite a refreshing change. The story centred around the three sisters mainly and them working through their adult relationships. There was some sadness and very little stereotyping. Nothing hugely sinister but enough to keep you engaged and wanting to find out where the three sisters would each end up. As the title suggests, there was one sister placed at the centre of the story from who’s viewpoint we saw the majority of the text but there was not really a bias.

I have to say the title of the book is a bit misleading as the story is more about 3 sisters, their family and the village.

There are some great characters and it was certainly enjoyable.

Well worth a read.

A family of secrets. Triplets that were raised by their aunt and of royal blood. I enjoyed the separate path each girl took and how they dealt with. I enjoyed how they grew and the path they took. Although the title threw me off, one of the triplets did become a vicar after experience a life or death situation. She knew at that time they path she wanted to take to become a better person. Since each girl had a prominent role in the book, I felt the title wasn't correct.. The book was well written, even though slow, personally this wasn't what I would normally read. However, the ending was an explosion of discovery which left me with my mouth hanging open. That alone made this book worth the read just to get to that place.

Almost didn't request to read this, due to the title, but so glad I did. An easy to read tale of triplet sisters and their relationship with each other. Set in a lovely village, full of characters, I devoured it in an afternoon

The Village Vicar is a wholesome story with family at its heart and to add to this there's spice, drama and some very,very enticing eye candy. A Julie Houston book is always a pleasure to get lost in any time of the year.

I was so excited to request Julie Houston's new novel 'The Village Vicar' as I have read all of her previous books and absolutely fallen in love with them. This one was no exception!

I love the village/community feel of a Julie Houston novel, the characters are so well created and developed that they become like your own friends. Though it was a slow start with the backstory of Alice etc, it suddenly picked up pace and I finished reading it in a day.

Was sad to finish this novel and leave the characters behind. Can't wait for the next one!

Lovely feel good book to read. It was a joy to read. Lovely characters. Great plot. The book was charming. Very well written. I’d definitely recommend this book. Great to be back with this author

I really enjoyed this story of triplets and their unusual upbringing. The way their lives change and intertwine is well written and believable. An excellent annual leave read.

Thank you netgalley for the opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book. I have to start by saying that there are a few 'steamy scenes' within the story which may take the reader by surprise. Although the title is The Village Vicar, the story is about 3 sisters that are triplets, one of which has returned to her hometown as the new vicar. We follow the women's lives and the journey of how they have got to where they are now. An interesting story with plenty of ups and downs.

an easy read about triplet sisters and their relationship. lovely setting and plot. enjoyed the book very much

How could Julie Houston do this to me???

I wait patiently for her books to come out & this one finishes at least 200 pages short! Yes, I enjoyed it so much. What a great story of the complexity of families & life. Every character I could relate to & I want to be the triplets BBF.
Rosa, Hannah & Eva are triplets that were born to Alice Parkes & her 'one-night stand'. Bill, the twelfth Marquess of Stratton. Alice, an artist, decided to put her children up for adoption, but her sister Susan & her husband adopted the girls at birth. Life's up & down's lead them to this point in the book where life changes are happening. The story's twists & turns make this a great page turner & I do hope there's going to be a sequel. I need to know more about the lives in this book.

Highly recommended read!