Hello Sleep

The Science and Art of Overcoming Insomnia Without Medications

Pub Date 07 Feb 2023 | Archive Date 21 Feb 2023
St. Martin's Press, St. Martin's Essentials

Hello Sleep is a practical and compassionate guide to having a better relationship with sleep and overcoming insomnia from Jade Wu, an experienced expert in behavioral sleep medicine.

For many people who have trouble sleeping, each night is an anxious odyssey where getting a good night’s sleep feels like a battle to win rather than a basic biologic process. Hello Sleep is a guide for people with insomnia to help them shift their relationship with sleep, so that it stops being a battle and starts being enjoyable and natural again. It is a practical, self-guided tour through evidence-based interventions for chronic insomnia, including cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I), phototherapy, chronotherapy, mindfulness-based approaches, and medication tapering.

Jade Wu is a behavioral sleep medicine specialist and researcher who has helped hundreds of patients over a period of ten years. She provides in-depth but down-to-earth scientific explanations of how sleep and insomnia work; anecdotes about real patients’ experiences with overcoming insomnia; rationale for why the evidence-based interventions help; and tips for how to problem-solve common pitfalls, along with tailored recommendations for special circumstances (e.g., pregnancy/postpartum, menopause, chronic pain, depression, older adults etc.). Wu’s practical recommendations support a philosophical theme: Sleep is a friend, and it’s the nurturing of our relationship with this friend—rather than an anxious nightly battle—that will give us sustainable sleep health.

Hello Sleep is not a rigid set of rules or a one-size-fits-all approach. Wu believes this can make things worse for those with insomnia issues, making what was once easy and intuitive into something effortful and elusive. Instead, this book treats insomniacs with respect, by giving them knowledge and empowering them to trust themselves and their own sleep.

For many people...

PAGES 288

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Hello Sleep is a well-researched, incredibly helpful nonfiction practical guide to better sleep. Wu provides knowledge and excellent techniques for helping to achieve this goal. Highly recommended to insomniacs or anyone looking to improve their sleep. Be sure to check out Hello Sleep today.

This is a well-written, clear and sharply reasoned book about sleep which debunks a number of the myths we commonly associate with sleep and insomnia. I learned a great deal by reading this book and plan to recommend to friends.

This book was fascinating and so helpful. It debunks so many of the ideas people give for attaining better sleep and backs up the claims with research. This is a well-researched book. I have learned so much reading this book, and now I’m going to go through it slower as I work through the steps to better sleep! Highly recommend for those who struggle with insomnia!

Hello Sleep is full of practical advice, some I'd never heard before in all of my years seeking an insomnia cure. It's backed up by research. Also interesting were the personal stories and examples throughout the book. If you've suffered from lack of sleep and nothing has worked, pick up this book.