The Scourge Between Stars

Pub Date 04 Apr 2023 | Archive Date 30 Apr 2023

Ness Brown's The Scourge Between Stars is a tense, claustrophobic sci-fi/horror blend set aboard a doomed generation ship harboring something terrible within its walls.

“A perfect scare to swallow up in one sitting.” —Chloe Gong, #1 New York Times bestselling author of These Violent Delights

As acting captain of the starship Calypso, Jacklyn Albright is responsible for keeping the last of humanity alive as they limp back to Earth from their forebears’ failed colony on a distant planet.

Faced with constant threats of starvation and destruction in the treacherous minefield of interstellar space, Jacklyn's crew has reached their breaking point. As unrest begins to spread throughout the ship’s Wards, a new threat emerges, picking off crew members in grim, bloody fashion.

Jacklyn and her team must hunt down the ship’s unknown intruder if they have any hope of making it back to their solar system alive.

“A perfect scare to swallow up...

PAGES 176

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

God this was what I was hoping for from the description, it had the tense atmosphere that I was looking for. The story was interesting and I was hoping for the main characters survival. I could feel the claustrophobic elements in the book and I felt like I was in the story with the characters. I'm excited to read more from Ness Brown, as this was enjoyable. Overall this was a great scifi read and I really enjoyed getting to go on this journey with them.

"The hairs on Jacklyn’s nape stood up. “What do you mean?” she asked lowly, even though she already knew. “She used to beg me to make the ship go faster,” he sighed, pulling himself to his feet. “She said the ship was infested, and the longer we took to reach home the worse the vermin would get.”

I'm excited for this book to come out so everyone else can enjoy this as well. The story was interesting and the stakes were pretty high. I would definitely recommend this book.

What a great read! The Scoutge Between Stars is a claustrophobic thrill ride that takes place in a failed colony ship that had to leave the Centauri system and return home. Conditions are deteriorating, and supplies seem to be dwindling for unknown reasons. Unbeknownst to all on board, there is an unwanted stowaway, identity unknown.

This is one of the best SF books I’ve read in a good while. While there are elements from the first Alien film, the author makes the story all her own. The plotting is superb, the tension well ratcheted, the characters well drawn, all making this a book that just kept me riveted to the page.

Highly recommended.

My thanks to Tor Nightfire and to Netgalley for providing an ARC of this remarkable debut novel.