Bloody Martini

A Felonious Monk Mystery

Pub Date 14 Feb 2023 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #BloodyMartini #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Coalville is on fire—from below. The old mines are burning, and everyone has poison gas in their brain. Maybe that’s why the town is so corrupt. Now that he’s a Benedictine monk, Tommy Martini never wants to see the place again—hell-raisers there hold a grudge till they die, and he’s on their wish list. But a girl he once loved has gone missing, and his best friend from childhood has been murdered. Among the living is a shy girl from Tommy’s past, who wants to help. Together, they learn the secret of the elephant’s graveyard, and it’s not in Africa.

At the heart of Coalville is Parade Square, with plenty of pigeons, drugs, and child prostitution. It’s the new small-town America, where Dionysus is dancing once again. William Kotzwinkle’s insight into this paradigm shift is shot through with the humor he is famous for, and the result is a spicy brew, a bloody martini—just one sip may keep you up all night.

A Note From the Publisher

William Kotzwinkle has sold over ten million books. Two-time winner of the National Magazine Award for Fiction, he came to prominence with his cult classic The Fan Man. His novel Dr. Rat won the World Fantasy Award, and his children’s series Walter the Farting Dog sold two million copies. Movie credits include Book of Love and Nightmare on Elm Street 4. He also wrote the narration for Michael Jackson’s E.T. record, which won a special children’s Grammy. His books have been praised by such diverse luminaries as T. C. Boyle, Stephen King, Joanna Lumley, Ian McEwan, Terry Pratchett, Ram Dass, and Kurt Vonnegut. He divides his time between rural Arizona and the coast of Maine.

Advance Praise

“A whiplash adventure that tests the courage and character of its fallible protagonist.”

-Wall Street Journal on Felonious Monk

-Wall Street Journal on Felonious Monk

Marketing Plan

• National and regional reviews and author interviews

• Thriller-fiction buzz mailing

• Digital and print advertising campaign

• Social media campaign

• Featured title/author at library, bookseller trade shows, and conferences

• National and regional reviews and author interviews

• Thriller-fiction buzz mailing

• Digital and print advertising campaign

• Social media campaign

• Featured title/author at library...

EDITION Hardcover

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I I read Bloody Martini by the unpredictable and whimsical William Kotzwinkle, courtesy of NetGalley and Blackstone Publishing , in exchange for an honest review.

Somewhere between college graduation and retirement, I carelessly lost Kotzwinkle. Two of his previous novels, Dr. Rat and the enchanting Fata Morgana, were among my favorite books in the 1070s. Then, somehow, I misplaced him, and until Bloody Martini came along, I didn't even know he was still alive and writing. I was delighted to discover that he is alive and well and writing amazing books.

I was completely captivated and thoroughly absorbed with Bloody Martini. It is a great story and skillfully written about Tommy Martini , a small town ex-cop who, seeking peace and forgiveness, becomes a Benedictine Monk in Mexico. Well, a monk with benefits actually, as he comes and goes as he pleases, and hardly behaves like one. His benefits include wanton women, fast cars, alcohol and murder. He lives an interesting life.

Sometimes, too interesting.

A girl he once loved has gone missing. A few people in his home town want him dead. The son of a mafioso, he inherited a fortune and a reputation he doesn’t want. He boxed professionally, and ended up killing a man in a bar fight. His best friend from childhood left him a phone message asking he take care of his girlfriend, right before he was murdered. Then, to complicate matters, there is a shy girl from his past who would be only too excited to help him.

Returning to Coalville from the Benedictine Monastery in Mexico, Martini discovers Thomas Wolfe was right, you can’t go home again. Nothing has changed. Crooked cops, crooked politicians, misplaced loyalties and an overwhelming greediness. By novel;’s end, Martini has confronted or been confronted by it all, returning to the monastery to once again face his own personal demons.

I didn;t know what to expect when i began to read Bloody Martini, except that it sounded interesting. I mean, come on, a monk as a lead character?! The novel caught me by surprise. Kotzwinkle is in complete control, keeping the story moving along, leaving us always wanting more. I sincerely hope Bloody Martini finds its fans in an already crowded marketplace. This book soars and is well worth reading.

William Kotzwinkle writes like no one else. This book carried his signature eye for the quirky, with enjoyable plotting and interesting characters. Recommended reading for followers of mysteries and literary fiction.