Stop Saying I'm Fine

Finding Stillness When Anxiety Screams

Pub Date 08 Nov 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #StopSayingImFine #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

There is a deep well of pain, loneliness, self-loathing, trauma, and shame sitting behind the happy smiles and filtered social media feeds that so often characterize our generation.

Many of us have become experts at pretending we’re fine. Our shiny social media feeds and screen-deep smiles certainly give off a happy illusion. But we are not fine. Taylor has heard countless stories from her generation of our fetal positions on cold-tile floors, immobilized by anxiety. She personally knows this place well. At eighteen, she, too, found herself in an anxiety-induced fetal position behind a locked bathroom stall, wondering, “What did Jesus mean when he promised me full life?”

Stop Saying I’m Fine is a generational call to honesty, healing, and to a spiritual hunger that defies superficial Christianity and engages our deeper aches and heart questions. In these pages, we’ll dig beneath the bedrock of our anxiety into the pain of our experiences. Together, we’ll learn how to connect to the stillness that exists beneath the chaos, and we’ll find that the wholeness and healing we long for isn’t as distant as it may seem.

• For the young adult who feels trapped inside their anxiety
  • For the parent or caregiver who aches to understand
  • For the wounded heart that can't seem to move on
  • For the weary one who has tried and failed a thousand other ways

Many of us have...

Advance Praise

“There’s a sentence right in the middle of this book where Taylor writes, ‘At its core, the spiritual journey is one of God continually welcoming us home, not only to a truer version of him but also to a truer version of ourselves.’ To me, that’s the heart of this book. But here’s what makes it beautiful: Taylor doesn’t just tell us that truth; she shows us that truth in her own story. It is a story both painful and beautiful. But in telling it, what Taylor does is invite others into that same journey—back home, to both God and to ourselves.”

—Josh Rutledge, Vice President of Spiritual Development, Liberty University

“For anyone who struggles with anxiety and has experienced the pain of feeling misunderstood or judged by fellow believers, Taylor’s heartfelt words will be a soothing balm to their soul as she becomes the friend to lead them out of their darkness. Through her vulnerability, honesty, and personal stories, readers will uncover the healing and peace they’ve desperately been seeking and leave the fear, isolation, and shame of anxiety in the past.”

—Tracie Miles, author and Writing Coach

“This book is a gift of jagged edges. It’s a gift because many of us don’t know how to process our deepest pain, but Taylor walks it with dignity, honesty, and courage. This is a beautifully raw distillation of what it means to daily choose to walk back to Jesus and the arms he keeps open. Taylor uses her experiences to write with a perceptive understanding of the human–divine tension. This book opened my eyes to what it means to encounter a grace that is gripping and unrelenting.”

—Dr. Mary Lowe, Online Associate Dean, Liberty University, School of Divinity

“In this book, Taylor Murray recounts the struggle with anxiety and anorexia that led her to reject self-sufficiency and embrace the grace of the cross. She invites readers to think deeply about the roots of our need to be ‘fine,’ even when we’re not. Her honest and hopeful story highlights the goodness of God in our pain and lights the way for others in today’s challenging environment.”

—Steve Richardson, President, Pioneers-USA

“Taylor’s tender heart for those who are suffering has led her to write a breathtakingly beautiful invitation to know God more intimately. Dripping with both Scripture and vulnerability, Stop Saying I’m Fine will reach the hidden places of your heart and soul and provide a sturdy handhold on your journey to deeper healing and freedom.”

—Elizabeth Trotter, author of Serving Well, editor-in-chief of the missions website A Life Overseas

“Taylor’s vulnerable sharing of her own story gives courage for all ages to press into God’s invitation to be his beloved. She has done a magnificent job of intertwining her battle with anxiety and wrestling with God’s goodness. Taylor writes to her generation but I believe has a message for all to hear. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has struggled with any form of anxiety.”

—Carolyn Foster, Certified Spiritual Director

Stop Saying I’m Fine is a must-read for anyone who wants to find meaning and healing in his or her struggles with pain and anxiety. Taylor’s honest and compelling personal story coupled with her incredible writing will keep you captivated from beginning to end.”

—David Nasser, author and President of For Others Collective

“High praise for this resource that is welcomed by struggling individuals battling anxiety and caring professionals alike. In culture and church, Taylor challenges us to offer compassionate courage as we look behind the masks of those living with this all too pervasive disorder. As she authentically shares her journey, we are given both her insight and permission to shed pretense and performance—replacing them with grace leading to triumph, and truth leading to freedom.”

—Dorcas Harbin, Executive Vice President of One Another Ministries, Intl

In Stop Saying I’m Fine, Taylor Murray generously invites us into her authentic and life-changing journey from the isolating bondage to anxiety to the practical freedom of grace in community. Woven throughout the book, she boldly shares the skill of learning self-awareness as well as becoming aware of God’s loving presence. These two skills will unlock the path to Christ-centered transformation and clear a path to experiencing beauty, hope, and freedom regardless of circumstance.”

—Wendy Adamson, career global worker, spiritual director, and soul care provider for global workers

“Brokenness to breakthrough. Hopelessness to healing. Pain to purpose. Fear to freedom. These are the truths etched in the pages of Taylor’s story. But this isn’t just her story, it’s God’s story. A testimony of his goodness, faithfulness, and redemption. Taylor authentically lives out the reality that it’s okay to not be okay and that no matter what your story holds, you’re not alone. God sees you, knows you, and loves you . . . right where you are.”

—Erin Kelly, New York Times Best-Selling author of Kelly Tough

“Wow. This book may be the book that moves a generation to strip off its mask and defeat one of its greatest enemies: anxiety. It’s a pandemic. I watched Taylor grow up and was unaware of her struggles; but then again, that’s the point of her book. Taylor’s extraordinary writing skills and personal transparency deeply moved me and reminded me who I am as a child of God, and they will do the same for you.”

—David Yates, author and producer, Dolphin Tale movies

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

When I started reading this book I started writing down lines that resonated, and whilst still reading the introduction realised I would have to buy a physical copy so I could highlight it and make notes. I felt seen, known, understood, in ways that no one has ever made me feel before.

This book is an invitation to honesty and healing, to come alive and experience Gods love and affection for you, and to begin a process of ‘becoming us’. It’s a call to take off the filters society expects us to wear and admit that perhaps “I’m not fine” and that’s ok! The author is vulnerable and honest, and through that provides the reader with tools, space and encouragement for their own imperfect but beautiful journey to begin.

This is a must-have resource to help one improve mental health, resiliency, and live a more full and happy life. It is full of great strategies, advice, and easy to implement ideas. This is one I'll return to again and again. Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.