Nature's Best Hope (Young Readers' Edition)

How You Can Save the World in Your Own Yard

Pub Date 04 Apr 2023 | Archive Date 04 Apr 2023

Talking about this book? Use #NaturesBestHope #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This middle grade edition of the groundbreaking bestseller by Doug Tallamy will inspire kids to use their backyard to help save the planet.

Douglas W. Tallamy awakened thousands of readers to an urgent situation: wildlife populations are in decline because the native plants they depend on are fast disappearing. His solution? Plant more natives. In this middle grade adaptation of the New York Times bestseller Nature's Best Hope, Tallamy outlines his vision for a grassroots approach to conservation that everyone can participate in regardless of age.

In Nature's Best Hope (Young Readers' Edition), Tallamy empowers kids to use their own yards to help combat the negative effects of climate change. He does so by breaking down complex concepts into simple terms and real-world examples that kids can easily grasp. Black and white photographs help further clarify concepts. In addition to sharing the science, Tallamy encourages kids to take direct action. Some of these ideas include planting an oak tree (one of the most important tree species) at home. If that’s too large of a task, he suggests they can plant asters—a beautiful flower whose pollen bees use to feed their young. By helping the next generation see that they have power and agency over our collective future, this empowering book will drive home the positive point that kids are truly nature’s best hope.

Douglas W. Tallamy awakened thousands of readers to an...

EDITION Paperback
PAGES 256

I feel like the author, Doug Tallamy, is an old friend: I saw him speak twice this year as I was getting continuing education credit hours for my continuing Master Gardener’s certification — on January 14 at Ohio State University Tending Nature Webinar and then at the Master Gardeners of Spokane Cabin Fever Symposium Keynote on March 12. He inspired me to register my own garden acreage as a Homegrown National Park. And just as this ARC became available, his original book, “Nature’s Best Secret” was the monthly selection of the Ashton Gardens Secret Garden Book Club on August 26. I am so excited to tell the book club participants that this book would be available for younger readers, too!

Mr. Tallamy is a celebrated advocate of preserving everyday spaces for wildlife, cultivating native plants, practicing conservation and preventing the extinction of both endangered animals and plants. His basic approach is to start within your reach — in your backyard. Conservation shouldn’t be left to specialists — anyone, including young people can participate.

Compared with the original version (thanks to my book club), this version is perfect for those with just the beginning understanding of conservation efforts. The adaption by Sarah L. Thompson covers almost everything the adult version does, but with more relatable stories, simpler explanations and less references/scientific history. Most of the same photos are included. The Q and A section challenges kids to approach grownups to make the changes out of young people’s reach (since they are not the landowners) and gives them talking points for making small and significant changes.

5 stars! Doug Tallamy is an important contributor to preserving native plants and protecting local wildlife for all ages. This book will be a valuable addition to young readers and libraries. Thank you to Timber Press and NetGalley for an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review!

Nature's Best Hope (Young Readers' Edition) is a fantastic book. Modeled after the icon Nature's Best Hope.
We need our young people engaged as much as we are to have them understand this is for them also not just for sustaining wildlife.

This simplified version of Nature's Best Hope covers all the important parts and leaves with ten things you can do.
Wonderful and highly recommend.

I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher Timber Press for the opportunity to read and reviews this much-needed book.

Nature’s Best Hope was a great book for young children to learn about our responsibility to take care of the earth! This would be a great book for people of all ages to learn!

I have never imagined to read a book about gardening world, but this one goes beyond that subject. It is indeed a way of help not only environment but our average day by day lifestyle, improve good humor, and precise contact with nature, which We all know is extremly important for a better health. And also, there are pictures of flowers and some of species named here as a hint for the reader to search and start to know better how to make the lessons learned here make reality to them. Besides, This cover is sooo gorgeous, which adds a little more praises to the creators of this title. Well Done, guys!

What an amazing book, not only for kids but adults as well! I love my garden and all of my pollinator friends. This book had a ton of data and interesting facts that I did not know before. I learned a lot of new information and I am excited to use some of this to make my yard an even better place for our ecosystem. I would encourage anyone to read this and hope that it has an impact on the way you view the world, your own piece of land and no matter how big or small you can help and it does make a difference. I will be passing this recommendation to friends! Thank you for writing this. #homegrownnationalpark #naturesbesthope #netgalley #wildlife #pollinators

Thank you, Timber Press, for the advance reading copy.

I love the cover so much!

And I do find the contents young reader friendly. However, I would suggest the contents have more colours with more illustrations/pictures as it would be less distracting for the target audience while reading this book.

Presentation wise, chapters are short, easy to read and follow. However, I was expecting to see some pictures or some form of art in each chapter.

The information given is good. You will enjoy this.

What a cute book! I think this book will be important for young children to read. I'll be sharing with my nephews as they get older so they can understand the importance of nature and how we can protect it.

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a wonderful book. It has a lot of great information for budding environmentalists. This has been so helpful for my 8-year-old niece who is starting to ask question about how to help the environment.