Infamous

A Novel

Pub Date 21 Mar 2023 | Archive Date 04 Apr 2023
St. Martin's Press, St. Martin's Griffin

Dickinson meets Booksmart with a dash of Little Women in Infamous, a Regency-era queer romantic comedy with a deliciously feminist twist, from Lex Croucher, the author of Reputation.

Twenty-two-year-old aspiring writer Edith (“Eddie”) Miller and her best friend Rose have always done everything together—from climbing trees and sneaking bottles of wine, to extensive kissing practice. But Rose has started talking about marriage, and Eddie is horrified. Why can’t they continue as they always have?

Then Eddie meets charming, renowned poet Nash Nicholson––a rival of Lord Byron, if he does say so himself––and he welcomes her into his world of eccentric artists and boundary-breaking visionaries. When Eddie receives an invitation to Nash's crumbling Gothic estate in the countryside, promising inspiration (and time to finish her novel, a long-held dream), she eagerly agrees. But the pure hedonism and debauchery that ensues isn’t exactly what she had in mind, and Eddie soon finds herself torn between her complicated feelings for Rose and her equally complicated dynamic with Nash, whose increasingly bad behavior doesn’t match up to her vision for her literary hero.

Will Eddie be forced to choose between her friendship with Rose and her literary dreams––or will she be able to write her own happily ever after?

...

PAGES 336

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

A queer regency era love story? SAY LESS! I loved this book so so much, and it truly gave me all the romantic feelings that I need whilst reading a victorian novel. I loved the friends-to-lovers dynamic in this book, and the love triangle made sense for the story (something I often feel isn't true)!

Marketed as Booksmart meets Bridgerton and it's so much more than that. What a fun regency romp with such lovable, relatable characters and a sweet relationship at the center of it all. Eddie is infuriating and brilliant. Rose is sweet and bullheaded/ Completely in love with everything about this. Lex Croucher has a fabulous voice and such a flair for writing fun, interesting stories!

I read Lex Croucher's first novel, Reputation, and was really grateful & excited to receive the opportunity to read and review Infamous. I love regency novels, but always wish for more queer joy within them, and Infamous came through with expressions of queer love, tenderness, and a blend of adventure and tension.

**SPOILER ALERT** I am a wreck in the best way! Absolutely bawling from the epilogue of this beautiful book. This is a laugh-out-loud coming of age and love story with a horrendous villain who was satisfying to hate. The best part of the book is Rose and Eddie's friends-to-lovers arc, with Rose being my favorite character. Her generosity and bravery in their relationship was incredible to read. I can definitely see how some readers could say Eddie doesn't deserve Rose, but Eddie's apology at the end was heartbreaking and some of us love idiots and know it (Rose: "Because you are on your last strike, Eddie. There's only so much idiocy a person can take."); seeing them get their happily-ever-after made my day. Highly recommend! Off to pre-order my own copy! Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this chance to read early. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4939267191

Lex Croucher has once again delivered a wonderfully enjoyable period piece story! I really loved this one and loved Eddie and Rose as a pair. This story honors the diverse, queer communities that have always existed and is an ode to those whose stories have quietly existed in history, waiting to be found. I love Croucher's take on pulling the curtain to a far more debaucherous, complicated place than Regency England is often portrayed as in media. Her characters are messy and tough and good-hearted and I loved to root for them through this story, even as they made frustrating choices through the novel. Eddie had me occasionally wanting to yell at her through the pages, but I loved her character evolution and I absolutely loved the way the novel wrapped up. Highly recommend this one.