Living in the Light

Yoga for Self-Realization

Pub Date 03 Jan 2023 | Archive Date 31 May 2023

Talking about this book? Use #LivingintheLight #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Reach your highest potential and a deeper understanding of self with Deepak Chopra’s groundbreaking guide to the philosophy and practice of Yoga.

Royal Yoga is the highest and most important of the yoga traditions—an all-embracing path to personal transformation that reaches beyond any approach to wellness and healing that exists today. Whatever you are doing to enhance your life, Royal Yoga can bring you more of everything you want; it brings every experience, no matter how small, into the light. By learning to live in the light, you deliberately and consciously accept your true self as a being of infinite possibilities, unfettered by worry or self-doubt.

In this groundbreaking new work, international bestselling author Deepak Chopra and his coauthor Sarah Platt-Finger, yoga director at Chopra Global and co-founder of ISHTA Yoga, offer an illuminating program for self-realization, bliss, and wholeness. Combining a practical thirty-day program that will help you break limiting habits and belief systems with an in-depth exploration of fifty stimulating and restorative yoga poses, Deepak and Sarah provide a thorough and inspiring way to unite the mind, body, and soul.

With new insights on social and emotional intelligence, the power of attention, body awareness, breathing, wholeness, and transcendence, and with dozens of specially commissioned illustrations of yoga poses (accessible for all skill levels, from beginner to enthusiast), Living in the Light provides the ultimate guide to your exciting, bright, and enlightening future.

Royal Yoga is the highest and most important of the...

PAGES 304

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

What a beautiful resource for any and all yogis. This is a must-have resource to help one improve mental health, resiliency, and live a more full and happy life. It is full of great strategies, advice, and easy to implement ideas. This is one I'll return to again and again. I highly recommend this treasure to any and all yogis. Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.

I have always enjoyed yoga as a form of exercise but I always felt like there was something missing. When following along with a yoga class or exercise video, the session would move on to the next pose or the same pose just on the opposite side. I would be left behind feeling like I hadn’t begun to get everything from the last pose I needed to. I felt rushed and not ready. The book answered the questions I had and helped me to realize why I felt that way. I am so thankful I was able to receive and advance copy of this book. Dr. Chopra and Sarah Platt-Finger explain the eight limbs of yoga in a way that I could understand.

There is so much more to yoga than the asanas as explained in the first half of the book my Dr, Chopra. Utilizing the teaching I followed the guide for the six weeks. I have grown and found a level of peace I didn’t know I was capable of. The second half of the book explains the asanas in detail. How to perform each one, what to focus on and what it does for you. Sarah is very knowledgeable and she explains how to pick the poses from each section to put a personal yoga practice together for what you need. They also explain your practice should evolve as you do. People are forever changing and your practice should change with you.

If you are looking for a deeper understanding of yoga or want to begin a yoga practice this book is perfect.

TRANSFORMATIVE & INFORMATIVE!
This is such a PHENOMENAL and UNIQUE book. I’ve never read anything quite like it. It’s split into two parts. The first part focuses on living in the light – living consciously – living in complete union physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Deepak describes the gifts of Royal Yoga and the principles to practice in order to transform and live an ideal life. It’s absolutely beautiful and brilliantly written. It’s divided into six weeks. Each week focuses on an individual leg of yoga or stage of transformation. Each day has a theme, practice, and exercise. His ability to describe the exercise is so well done and makes something that could seem complex, easy to understand.. I initially read the book over a few days and I look forward to going back and implementing it as a daily practice over the next 6 weeks.
The second part begins with a high-level introduction to some yoga fundamentals. Then it dives into wonderfully specific detail on certain yoga poses including an overview,, how-to, benefits, therapeutic applications, and helpful tips. I’ve been practicing yoga for a while, and it took me some time to find a yoga style and teachers that resonated for me. I appreciate yoga instructors who explain the posture, the benefits, and the subtle micro movements to help you get the most out of the position. That’s exactly what the second half of the book does very skillfully.

Thank you to the authors for this extraordinary creation.
Thank you NetGalley & Rodale Books for sending this book for review consideration.

LIVING IN THE LIGHT: YOGA FOR SELF-REALIZATION
BY: DEEPAK CHOPRA, MD AND SARAH PLATT-FINGER

This book which is called, "Living in the Light: Yoga for Self Realization written by Deepak Chopra, MD, and Sarah Platt-Finger is filled with outstanding and enlightening information. It is way too much valuable comprehensive information to include everything in a review about a non-fiction book. Just as the Title indicates its core message is for those interested in "living in the light," it takes a deep dive into practical ways in which the practice of instructions embedded into both the First Part narrative, and in the Second Part Yoga illustrations, and the explanations as to how they are effective.

In the First Part, Dr. Deepak Chopra talks and guides you into six individual weeks-five days a week-Monday through Friday, leaving week-ends free, as he gives an exercise to do each day of the week for six consecutive weeks. He goes into great depth about what these exercises mean, what they accomplish, and he gives self checklists or tests to take to self evaluate where you need to concentrate, or focus your attention on.

In the Second Part, of this wonderful book, I believe, is where his Co-Author, Sarah Platt-Finger gives illustrations of Yoga Poses, followed by a written Overview of each yoga pose. Next is a written step-by-step How-to: with written sequential directions on how to do each yoga pose physically. Next, comes a written explanation of the Benefits of each yoga pose. Next, the Therapeutic applications of the yoga pose are described. Lastly, there is an explanation of Helpful Tips to each yoga pose.

I have already read this book from cover to cover. I have just started again, today, doing today's first day's exercises again, because I chose to start over in this incredible resource. I am going to do the exercises, which means re-reading and doing the self evaluations for today which, Dr. Deepak Chopra's incredible informational section for Monday includes. That entails the mental focus of this day and, I would be remiss if I didn't emphasize the gentle voice, in which this book is written. Also, what I find comforting is that it is the journey of practice which matters. I interpret that to mean that I can be patient with myself, and there is comfort in knowing that the more that I do it the more ingrained in my memory it will all be. After I finish that, I will move to the second half of the book to do the yoga poses, and physical part of these exercises.

What I love about this book is that it is written for both beginners, and experienced Yoga practitioners. My favorite part is that these can be done on my own, in the comfort of my own home, and knowing that I will get stronger with practice. Another aspect of this book is all of the multi-faceted information it gives about our breathing. It explains in great detail the different ways in which we all breathe, and what each type of breathing means. It gives you proper instructions on the healthiest way we should breathe, and detailed descriptions on how to build up endurance. I am so grateful that I found this terrific resource, and I plan on following it for the rest of my life. It is valuable, and terrifically insightful, and can be incorporated into what I already do to workout. It also gives inner calm, peace and light.

Publication Date: January 3, 2023

Thank you to Net Galley, Deepak Chopra & Sarah Platt-Finger and Rodale Inc., Harmony Publishing for generously providing me with this fantastic ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.

#LivingintheLightYogaforSelfRealization #DeepakChopraMD #SarahPlattFinger #RodaleIncHarmonyPublishing #NetGalley

Arc review:
I absolutely loved this book, I will absolutely look forward to the final copy. I’m currently loving yoga/ meditation books with this style of layout, and it’s been beneficial to someone with learning disabilities and being in yoga teaching school.