The Kind to Kill

Pub Date 06 Dec 2022 | Archive Date 30 Nov 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheKindtoKill #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A missing tourist spells trouble for Senior Investigator Shana Merchant in this page-turning twisty mystery set in an atmospheric island community with a small-town vibe.

Former NYPD detective Shana Merchant is a skilled Senior Investigator keeping New York's beautiful Thousands Islands community safe. She's a loving partner. A strong woman. A survivor.

She's also bound by blood to a serial killer. And after months of concealing the truth from the world as she hunted Blake Bram down, her secret is finally out.

Shana just wants to get on with her life and win back her community's trust. But as Alexandria Bay fills up with tourists in advance of the annual festival known as Pirate Days, a visitor goes missing, and the case threatens to destroy not just the celebrations, but what remains of Shana's reputation.

Shana's not to blame for the killer in her family, but people are starting to whisper that she attracts trouble. That A-Bay was safer before she arrived. And as the investigation deepens, Shana starts to fear that they may be right.

Because while Bram is gone, he is far from forgotten.

The Shana Merchant novels are a brilliant blend of chilling psychological thriller and gripping police procedural, set against the beautiful backdrop of the Thousand Islands. A perfect pick for fans of Ruth Ware, Lucy Foley and Louise Penny.

Former NYPD detective Shana...

PAGES 256

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Another fabulous novel by the author and I love these characters!

Now Senior Investigator, Shana Merchant is back. She survived the hands of the notorious serial killer, Blake Bram and her secret about him is out, which leads to divisions in peoples attitude towards her, including her family. She wants to forget the past and move on but as the story goes on, it is clear not everyone is going to let her.
As Alexandria Bay fills up for the Pirate Days festival, a visitor goes missing and the case threatens to destroy the celebrations, along with her relationships. The cases aren't as straightforward as they initially appear as the mystery unfolds.

The story in this series always pulls me in but it's the characters that keep me turning the pages. There were more twists and we see Shana's life in tatters after the revelation about Bram and while he is gone, he is certainly not forgotten in this one. I cannot wait for more in this series, highly recommend.

There are so many red herrings in this book of mystery and intrigue that I could not discern the end. This book was sent to me electronically by Netgalley for review. Thanks to the publisher. This is a cannot put down mystery. Although the story moves slowly at times, it comes to a resounding end. This author is talented and gifted at writing a murder mystery. The protagonist is intriguing and her story…amazing what she has gone through…the associates are there for backup with many surprises. I look forward to more books in this series. One of a kind…

Good book! This book had suspense, intrigue, action, great police work and a great who done it! The storyline was very interesting and had me glued to my Kindle! I will definitely recommend reading this book as it was well worth reading! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!

What I love about books is you can get transported to another place. This book takes you to Alexandria Bay in New York. Senior Investigator Shana Merchant is trying to move on with her life after she killed serial killer Blake Bram. Unfortunately, he was her cousin and the public is having a hard time moving past that point.

A woman goes missing from the Admiral Inn after a fight with her husband. Shana is called to try and find her. Her phone shows on tracker that it is in the St. Lawrence so they wonder if she jumped from the bridge. Her body is later found and now they believe there is a copy cat killer on the loose.

The town is about to be filled with tourists for Pirate Days. She must find this killer before they kill again. The hunt is on to find the killer.

Investigator, Shana Marchant, has kept her pursuit of serial killer, Blake Bram on the down low, but now the truth, and Shana’s connection to him are out. Now, Pirate Days has arrived, an annual festival that brings scores of tourists to town. When one of them disappears, Shana has to pull out all the stops to find them, before folks confuse her familial connection to a killer as a sign on incompetence…or worse

Character Driven Suspense…
The fourth in the Shana Merchant series of mysteries and the reader is transported back to the New York Thousands Islands community. Whilst Shana’s darkest secret is out, she still gets on with her life and now needs to focus on winning back her integrity but when a tourist goes missing her work is cut out. The general feeling that she is to blame is one that she just can’t shake. With a wonderfully well crafted cast of credible characters and a well described, atmospheric backdrop this is another worthy addition to this enjoyable character driven series.

Book #4 and just as good as ever! Senior Investigator, Shana Merchant is still dealing with the fact that she is related to a serial killer. She is also now being looked at as someone that attracts trouble even though she is trying to win the town's trust back. The town and characters are what I love so much about this series. The author does a wonderful job with descriptions and building the suspense with so many twists and turns.

The Kind to Kill stands on its own even though it is part of a series.

So I came in a bit late to this series, but I'll go back and catch up and will enjoy reading all further books in this series.

I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Another winner in this series! Shana is such a great character, and seeing her go through such a journey keeps me turning the pages. I love the setting in upstate New York, and also that this is a police procedural. The ending was good and she could end the series right here and it would work, but I hope she doesn’t! I can’t wait to read the next one!

This series gets better with each book! I have loved this series from book 1 and still love it today. I was curious how the series would go forward after the events of the last book but this was a phenomenal way to move forward and open the door, in my opinion, to many more books in the series to come. I loved how the city was incorporated and the pirate festival.. I also loved the twists and turns of how you love Don, then you think Don is guilty, then I thought maybe it was Amos, then maybe Gracelyn somehow... it truly kept me guessing! LOVE SHANA AND TIM!

I love Tessa Wegert novels - honestly they are some of the best stories and she writes in such a way that I do not want to put the books down! I always look forward to when a new one comes out and I get a chance to read them. Excited for the next one!!

Tessa Wegert continues to up her game in each installment of the superlative Shana Merchant series. As atmospheric and gripping as a Tana French novel, THE KIND TO KILL is both a cleverly plotted mystery and a rich, empowering story of a woman fighting to escape the ghosts of her past. Prepare to be transfixed and transported.

Shana Merchant knows the man who held her captive in NYC and terrorized her for years is dead but she is stymied when the deaths in her upstate New York town appear to mirror Bram's crimes. To complicate matters, her family has cut her off and she's being excoriated in the local media. I was curious how this series would continue with the conclusion of the Bram story arc. I didn't need to fear because Tessa Wegert turned out another thrilling adventure. While you will appreciate the story more if you've read the previous books, this can be read as a standalone.

Thanks to Severn House for access to a digital ARC on NetGalley.

I've been a huge fan of the Shana Merchant series from book one and I have a real appreciation for how Wegert can so deftly weave a compelling story while still surprising you in the end. As someone who reads a ton of mysteries and thrillers, Wegert's series always manages to feel fresh to me.

That being said, I was thrown at the start of this one. For starters, I honestly didn't expect any more Shana Merchant books after the third - it seemed like things were (mostly) wrapped up with Shana seeing Tim and her demons being put to rest. But I was very excited to get a fourth book in the series, and it was immediately just, different. In the beginning Shana seemed to be having trouble with Tim being too supportive and too nice, honestly, and to see her trying to back away from that felt so weird. I was really afraid it was going to be used as a plot device to interject unnecessary drama. I should not have doubted Wegert. Not only was their no unnecessary drama because of that move, but Shana grew! And she realized what she was doing! And they talked things out like adults! And it didn't even last for half the book!

Shana does have some issues with her family in this book, which if you read Dead Wind, then it's certainly understandable why. However, that gets settled nicely by the end, as does everything else, of course. One thing I will say is it feels very much like a final book, so I'm not certain we'll see any more of Shana Merchant but I am absolutely on board if Wegert decides to write more of her; for that matter, I'm sold on whatever Wegert decides to write next anyway.

One thing I found really interesting about this one was the way things seemed to come full circle. But also the villain just honestly surprised me so much - in a good way. I thought I had an idea of who the villain was and then their prime suspect is revealed and I was thinking "nah, couldn't be" so then I thought of someone else and I had to flip to the end to check (I know, I know, such a mystery reader no-no haha) and I was blown away by the reveal. That, in turn, made me go back to the point I was at and start speed reading to find out the whys and hows.

All in all, this was a phenomenal book in the Shana Merchant series, and I truly enjoyed it once I realized there wouldn't be drama for the sake of drama. Definitely a 5-star read that I'll be reading again!

I really enjoyed this series. Really hoping Shana Merchant has more life to give to this series.

Good relationships, good story line and suspense.
Definitely a must read series.

I have really loved the Shana Merchant series! At the beginning of this book, I was feeling a little frustrated with a few things Shana was doing, but it definitely turned around. The mystery was one I didn’t guess so that’s fun too!

Many thanks to Severn House, and NetGalley, for the opportunity to read and review an early copy of The Kind to Kill.

Former NYPD detective Shana Merchant is a skilled Senior Investigator. She wants to get past the fact that she's bound by blood to a serial killer and just do her job in keeping New York's beautiful Thousand Islands community safe as Alexandria Bay fills up with tourists in advance of the annual festival known as Pirate Days.

"...There are two families involved in every crime: the victim’s, and the killer’s." That is not only true but it's a big part of The Kind to Kill." Shana is such a great character, and she has so much heart. The writing is compelling and atmospheric. (I felt myself sweating as I read about the characters sweating in the heat!) And I absolutely love Tim!!

Ms. Wegert is a talented writer who keeps me coming back for more. I'm looking forward to #5!!

A tourist goes missing during a summer festival celebrating a notorious pirate in the picturesque town of Alexandria Bay in New York State. The fourth installment of Tessa Wegert’s Shana Merchant Novels finds the New York State police detective still trying to fit in to her new community. In town less than a year, she’s investigated more serious crimes than the area had seen in many years. And it seems someone in town blames Shana for that increase in crime, and the bad press coverage that comes with it.

Desperate to make this year’s Pirate Days a financial success, news of the disappearance sends townspeople into finger-pointing and worse. Shana, who is also reeling from family conflicts, tries to keep the investigation on track while fighting off her detractors.

As she and her team race to find the missing tourist, another missing person case from a different jurisdiction raises the specter of a copycat serial killer just as hordes of visitors arrive in costume to celebrate Pirate Days.

Wegert is at the top of her game. Her writing is evocative, and her plot is tight, taking the reader on a sweaty ride through the heat of the real-world August festival with twists that leave the reader guessing until the end. And the best part is that Wegert has crafted a strong female detective, who happens to be the boss, and is so engaging I always miss hanging out with her when I finish one of the books.

This was my first book by this author and it certainly isn't going to be my last! Although this was book 4 in this series that did not affect the readability in any way as enough of the previous stories was told to fill in gaps but without too much detail which means I really want to now read the first 3 books to find out exactly what happened before!
The characters are believable, easy to care about and worry over and the locations are well described to keep the mind image happy while reading. I felt that it was quite a fast paced book and one I didn't want to put down for long when I had to. I had an idea about where this book might have been heading but I was slightly out, the twist when it came was understandable if difficult to predict which for me made for an excellent ending.

Thank you Netgalley & Severn House for an eARC of The Kind to Kill by Tessa Wegert!

I can’t get enough of Tessa’s Shana Merchant investigator books! Here’s to another twisty, atmospheric mystery.

If you’re not familiar with Shana, she’s a former NYPD detective and now Sr. investigator in NY’s Thousand Islands community. She’s a survivor of a serial killer - who she’s related to - and her secret is finally out after concealing the truth from the world. Building her reputation back up, Shana finds herself struggling. She now just wants to get on with her life, but Alexandria By fills with tourist for an annual festival, and a visitor goes missing. Is this linked to Bram? If so, how?

I love Tessa’s books because they are a great balance between police procedural and psychological thriller. The backdrops always make for an atmospheric and chilling ride of a novel. Red herrings galore, I am constantly guessing what's to come next. I absolutely love how Shana’s character and life continues to evolve throughout the series. Please, please, please gives the next story!!

Thank you so much to Severn House and Tessa Wegert for the next book in the fantastic Shana Merchant series! I love this series so much, and I’m thankful that it continued with this book! This book was about a missing woman in the quiet community of A-bay. Crime seems to follow Shana, and even after her serial killer cousin is gone, his memory lives on. It looks like he has a copycat, someone who looked up to Blake Bram and wants Shana to know it. As the town gears up for Pirate Days, a missing tourist is just the beginning.

Thoughts: This book is about the complexity of families and how their actions leave behind a big reaction in their wake. The characters in this book are so well written and have so much emotion going on behind the scenes. Shana is still an amazing main character, but learning about the supporting characters was also intriguing and kept me reading. This book can be read as a stand alone, but I’m happy I read her other books as well!

The idea of a copycat was was eerie, and the mystery was interesting, but the main part of the book was how the characters interacted and related to each other. The setting of the Thousand Islands is fun and the Pirate Days holiday is a great image and a fun part of the story. I love Wegert’s writing, and this book was no exception. I did guess the ending, but it was satisfying nonetheless. 4-stars!

I continue to be impressed with Wegert's writing and what she has been able to do with her two main characters: The PTSD recovering Detective Shana Merchant and Merchant's captor: Blake Bram. In The Kind to Kill, Bram has a very large presence while not actually making a single appearance! This character arc is outstanding and is what has hooked me on this series! With that being said, I do think that this series is better read in order, so if you're interested, start with Death in the Family (and you won't be disappointed, it's one of my favorite books!).

As for Shana Merchant, I love seeing how she continues to recover from PTSD and grow as a human and a Detective. Her work on the copycat killings over Pirate's Day weekend in Alexandria Bay was entertaining and insightful. For a novel that isn't overly long, I am impressed with how much Wegert has packed into these pages. She not only wrote a compelling murder mystery, but she added in a lot of humanity, psychology, and nuances of life, people, relationships, and the twisted mind of a serial killer. The ending of this one had a great twist that I did not see coming but should have! There were just enough clues dropped along the way that I can't believe I missed them, but isn't that exactly the point! Such a fun read and I can't recommend this series enough!

OMG SHE’S BACK AGAIN 👀!!! Badass Senior Investigator Shana Merchant returns in Book 4 of the series by Tessa Wegert! “The Kind to Kill” is the aftermath of Shana’s big SECRET being out in the open and the townspeople aren’t happy with her 🤯

BOOK REVIEW: 🖤🖤🖤🖤/5

Now that it has become known that the serial killer Blake Bram was her cousin, Shana is being treated like his accomplice. Shana just wants to move on … but her past keeps coming back to HAUNT her (and TAUNT her) 👀

The town is getting ready to celebrate Pirate Days, which is a huge tourist attraction for them! However, when a tourist goes missing, it looks like there may be a Blake Bram copy cat in the making. And Shana may be the bull’s eye inside of the target 🎯…

“For two years, I had known my cousin was a killer. When Bram died, I thought I was finally free. I wasn’t counting on him taking more lives from the grave”

The game of cat and mouse continues in this book, even though Blake Bram does not make an appearance. Shana struggles with the broken relationships in her life, while still recovering from PTSD and facing the town’s blame for the increase in crime since she moved to Alexandria Bay.

I absolutely L O V E this series 🖤! I count down the days until the next book releases! I am beyond thrilled and thankful to @tessawegert @severnhouseimprint @netgalley for my advanced digital copy! This book releases on December 6, 2022!! 🖤

Ex-NYPD Shana Merchant is an investigator in the Thousand Lakes region. She is dealing with the aftermath of killing her cousin, serial killer Blake Bram, and the whole affair being outed to the public. Alexandria Bay is filling up with tourists for a pirate summer festival when a tourist goes missing and is later found dead. Shana and her team investigate while trying to keep things calm. A good mystery with a strong, likeable female lead.

The Kind to Kill is the 4th book and begins months after Shana’s secret, that she’s bound by blood to a serial killer, is out in the world. While dealing with personal trauma and guilt, the community is filling up with tourists for an annual festival when a visitor goes missing. As the investigation deepens, Shana finds herself surrounded by local gossip and unwanted attention which threatens to destroy her reputation and the case.

Great writing, smaller town setting, atmospheric and on the slow burn side, this series has been a pleasure to read. Shana is a great character and I love following her on her journey 💕. While this could be read as a stand alone, these are best read in order to get the full story and history of the characters. And all the books are totally worth it!