The House on the Lake

Pub Date 16 Mar 2021 | Archive Date 05 Oct 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheHouseontheLake #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

An island is the last place Eve Beckett ever thought she’d end up. Deathly afraid of water, she has no memory of arriving at the foreboding Lakeview Manor on the Isle of Esse. Her love for a good mystery, however, especially when it comes to strange houses and the paranormal, has her second-guessing her desire to leave.

But there’s something odd going on at Lakeview. Dark and dusty rooms shift location, and there’s a mysterious woman only Eve seems able to see . . .

When Eve’s mirror twin shows up, also with no memory of how she arrived on the island, and the property manager warns them away from his brother—one Eve has no wish to avoid—the number of mysteries surrounding Lakeview becomes too much. As she learns more about the manor and its inhabitants, the question becomes not just how but if Eve will ever leave the island.

2021 Gold Medal Winner for The Wishing Shelf Book Awards and

2021 American Fiction Awards Finalist

Advance Praise

"""A cleverly plotted mystery with a cast of memorable characters. A GOLD MEDAL WINNER and highly recommended!"" --The Wishing Shelf Book Awards

""The author skillfully develops the suspense and delivers an exciting ending.” --Wishing Shelf Reviewer"

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “A mystery, a bit of a thriller, a little paranormal, all throw into a compelling novel written by an author who knows how to tell a good story.” --Wishing Shelf Reviewer

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "On the face of it, a simple plot, but there are plenty of twists and memorable characters to keep you turning the page.” --Wishing Shelf Reviewer

""The author skillfully develops the suspense and...

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I was very pleasantly pleased by this book. I was unable to make sense of what was happening. There are bends and shocks, and until the very end,

It's the first of its kind that I've read, which, in my opinion, is really positive.

The plot itself is crafted in a way that, when the deadly elements are removed, makes you think of mystery books.

The book opens in a strange location where it's unclear where you are. Then, you continue the story as it takes unexpected turns without seeming forced.

If you're asking me if it's terrifying, I'd say that I find the atmosphere to be magnificent rather than frightening. The author was able to create a sense of atmosphere without having to use laborious and lengthy descriptions.

The plot flowed beautifully, and the characters were brilliantly written. There are so many turns. amazing descriptions You'll read this kind of book while attempting to decipher what is really going on.

This was really fun for me. One of those books that will stick in your mind for a while is this one.

Full post at https://wellreadpiratequeen.blogspot.com/2022/09/the-house-on-the-lake.html
************************************************************************************************************************************
I had absolutely no intention of buying any books or making any sort of ARC requests or grabbing any "Read Now"s on NetGalley until after I return from my upcoming mini-vacation next week.

That cover, though.

All the gothic feels and heebie-jeebies and I just had to have it.

I haven't had a ton of luck with NetGalley picks lately. For every one that I've really loved, like Deanna Raybourn's Killers of a Certain Age (yes, that is a shameless plug for my own post), there have been several more that I've given up on ... or, have at least wished that I had given up on. I hesitated clicking the button for this one for a split second.

That cover, though.

Once I let myself stop swooning over the cover long enough to begin actually reading, the awe continued.

By 5% I had already highlighted 7 passages.

I do so love gothic heebie-jeebies and this has them oozing out of the dark and musty woodwork from the secret passageway to the creepy attic right out of a Dickens tale.

Holy crap I love this book.

I even switched from the Kindle to the phone and back depending on whether I would be stationary or mobile while reading. I didn't want to put it down until I had gone through every twist and turn. There were times when I thought I knew what was going on. I love that I was horribly wrong.

[Have I mentioned that cover yet?]

The highlighting of passages became few and far between shortly after I hit this at 16%:
**************************
One would think I would turn around and find Lyn immediately. But no. I'm the girl in the horror flicks running up the stairs instead of running out the front door, the girl who picks up the stranger in the middle of nowhere after hearing there is a maniac on the loose killing everyone in his path, and in this particular case ... yeah, I'm the one who follows the creepy dripping girl like an idiot.
**************************

I did not stop highlighting because I wasn't completely enthralled, but because I was so enthralled I didn't want to pause reading long enough to even highlight. Besides, I had already decided that it would be a Book Beginnings & Friday 56 post (and grabbed a random 56% blip) because there was absolutely no way I would be able to narrow it down for a Tuesday Intros/Teaser Tuesday or even an I'll Sleep When I've Read...

That cover, though.

This one started out with such good spooky vibes I was immediately drawn in. I will admit I was pretty sure I had figured out the "twist" pretty early on but I was pleasantly surprised that I was wrong! I loved the drama and the feeling of "waiting on the other shoe to drop" - the book was addictive and I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen!

Wow, just wow! Great book, spooky and eerie vibes! If you like paranormal, read this book! I highly recommend this author and book@ Thank you, NetGalley, for allowing me to arc it.

I finished this book and said Wow, actually out loud. This book was phenomenal and I am so happy that I received and e-copy from @netgalley and the publisher. There’s not much I can say about this book without giving it away, it’s so delicately wound with each piece being a clue.

Eve finds herself in an old manor on an island one day with no recollection of how she got there. She’s terrified not only because she can’t remember but because she’s terrified of water. Awww remembers wanting to do a retreat and thinks this is it, but then strange things keep happening m. The rooms shift? And there’s a woman only she can see. Her sister is there but not all the time. Eve struggles to figure out what’s going on but the pieces slowly come together and she knows.

This book was labeled as a horror book in Goodreads and that made me nervous, but to me nothing about this book was horrific. There was zero violence or gore just images of paranormal. I don’t think those two always go hand in hand. I think if this book shed the horror label and stuck with mystery/thriller and paranormal the readership would increase. So please don’t let that label throw you. This is a magnificently done novel. It released last year in English and the French version is out now or soon. Please add this to your tbr! Perfect for spooky season (but not in a scary way)!

When Eve’s mirror twin shows up, also with no memory of how she arrived on the island, and the property manager warns them away from his brother one Eve has no wish to avoid the number of mysteries surrounding Lakeview becomes too much. As she learns more about the manor and its inhabitants, the question becomes not just how but if Eve will ever leave the island.
Couldn’t put it down really enjoyed this book totally recommend
Thank You NetGalley and BooksGoSocial
I just reviewed The House on the Lake by Holly Hill Mangin. #TheHouseontheLake #NetGalley

Thank you to NetGalley for the free copy. This review is wholly my own.

This story follows Eve who is afraid of water but has found herself on an island with no recollection of how she got there.

Mega paranormal and ghostly vibes.

Characters are likable and there are just enough twists to keep you guessing. Great debut book for this author.

There are times when the story line would get a bit confusing, but all in all, it was worth the read and I would recommend it.

The House on the Lake by Holly Hill Mangin was the spine-tingling haunted-house mystery with a twist that I needed to get me out of a bit of a reading rut. This unique thriller was honestly better than anything Mr Riley Sager could dream up. 5 stars!

The house on the Lake is so edge on your seat, teeth gnashing and fingers bitting spooky, but in a very good way😉. I was so hooked on the plot right from the first page and just wanted to find out how it all unfolds. This book is worth reading!.

Thanks to Netgalley and BooksGoSocial for this incredible mystery. How did she get there? Why would she be there? This book has you wanting immediately to know why, where, and how. The reader must be brave to get through these pages to find out how Eve arrived at Lakeview Manor. Even though she loves spooky settings, she questions everything around her. This is a perfect fall mystery; get your blanket and candle and dive into this one! Will Eve ever leave the island? Read and find out......

The House on the Lake
Author: Holly Hill Mangin

Book Review
Published Date: March 16, 2021

After waking up at the Lakeview Manor on the Isle of Esse, Eve Beckett has one question: How did she get there? With no recollection of how or why, Eve sets out to figure it out for herself.

Despite being deathly afraid of water, Eve is drawn to the manor. She loves a good mystery, why would she want to leave just yet? As events at Lakeview get weirder and weirder, like rooms shifting location and individuals randomly showing up, she comes to realize more than just her arrival is odd.

As spooky season approaches, this is the perfect read. It was quick and one to just jump right into.

Thank you NetGalley, BooksGoSocial, and the author for the chance to read this in exchange for my honest review.

Creepy, haunting and intense this book is an incredible read. It was twisty and unpredictable and had me on the edge of my seat. I loved it.

Eve wakes up, unsure of where she is or how she got there, but the more she talks to the innkeepers, the more she realizes she must be on the retreat she was planning to research before seeing if her twin sister wanted to join her for a week. When Eve’s twin, Lyn, shows up and can’t recall how she got there either, instead of being surprised or overly concerned, Eve just assumes Lyn knows more than she’s saying so she tries not to worry too much about how she got to this very strange house, and instead focuses on the fact that she’s been given free rein to “snoop” wherever she wants on the property. There’s a lot more to the storyline, and although it started off a little on the “spooky” side, I definitely don’t consider this to be a horror book. A mystery? Yes, sure. It’s a short read (took me about 4 hours?) and even though I still don’t think everything was explained away perfectly, I don’t think this means it was an unsuccessful story. To the contrary: I’m glad I read it and hope it finds an audience who will appreciate some of Eve’s “interpretations.”

Wow! I did not expect that as an ending nor the twists and turns this book provided. It was full of mystery, suspense, and an ending that literally had me in tears.

The characters are well written, and the story flowed wonderfully. But the ending still has me on the floor.

I will definitely read this book again. It is going on my favorite book list.

The House on the Lake is Mangin's debut novel.
It drops you right into a mystery and as the central character seeks to figure out what is going on, so does the reader
Eve finds herself at Lakeview Manor - an island that she has no memory of coming to. She doesn't swim and this is the last place she would willingly come to.
Mysteries begin and the twists and turns of the book were never what I expected.
The house is haunted, the people around her are creepy and this horror story is frightening.

Cuddle up, keep the lights on and stay on dry land.

I received a free copy from Netgalley to review.

I really enjoyed this book. I particularly liked the characters Nick and Ari. I did sort of guess what was going on but not everything. Kept me interested from the beginning right till the end.

Dark thriller that had you hooked from the off. The book was very well written. Great plot. Very exciting. Fast paced to get your heart racing. Loved this book

A great Gothic suspense with lots of twists and turns.

This book was unlike anything I have read before. Looking forward to more books by this author!

Terrified of water, Evie has no idea how she ended up in Lakeview Manor on the Isle of Esse. But nevertheless, it’s creepy atmosphere is intriguing to her. When her middle twin shows up, also with no memory of how she got to the island, Evie begins to wonder if something else is at play. This was a delightfully creepy, paranormal, locked room-type story - my favorite! Perfect to kick off spooky season.

Dark and spooky, this is more than your average mystery. The atmosphere is palpable from page one and the tension just grows as the plot advances.

A retreat to a manor house on a lake for Eve and her twin sister leads to discovery for Eve. Way more discovery than is expected. I was frustrated at not being able to "figure" this storyline out. When it unfolded I was dumbfounded. The mysteries that Eve is going on retreat to uncover are much deeper that I imagined. Well written.

So many twists and turns you keep engaged from the beginning because it doesn't all come together until the end! Everything revolves around Eve and how the heck did she arrive at Lakeview Manor?

You will love this one and the ending will leave you stunned!

Thank you Netgalley, the author and the publisher!

Eve ends up on an island and inside a lakeveiw manor, one of the twists is that she has no recollection of how she got there. Strange occurrence start to happen and that peaks her interest. She loves mysteries and the strange happenings is calling for her to solve them. Her final mystery would be, how she got to the manor and is she able to leave. A ghost story with thrills and suspense. There are plenty of twists to keep the reader guessing and engaged into the story.

Disclaimer: Thank you to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for this review copy, I received this review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

I'm all about a good spooky story for October, and The House on the Lake did not disappoint. This fast, engaging mystery kept me engaged throughout and I loved the twists and turns. Definitely worth picking up!

Big thank you NetGalley and to the publisher for the chance to review this book pre-release. The pace for this novel was fast, and I stayed hook the entire time (though the plot really seemed to evolve as the story went on). The perfect dark and spooky feels to welcome in autumn, and it most certainly had me uncomfortable to read in the dark. A more formal review will be available on my IG/TikTok and Goodreads.

Thanks to Netgalley and BooksGoSocial for this book.
It was an interesting story, and the end it was something that I would never imagined.

The story was about Eve, a women who doesn't remember to sign to a retreat on an island and she is afraid of the water so since the beggining the book is so interesting because who is the person who signed up in the retreat?

As the story unfolds, characters appear who are as mysterious as they are disturbing. Eve has contact with a "ghost", 2 brothers as different as they are beautiful and 2 people who are in charge of the place that she is staying.

I really like the story, was different from others that I read before. It leaves you thinking about your life and the reactions to your actions. I recommend it, you will have a good time

"A cleverly plotted mystery with a cast of memorable characters. A GOLD MEDAL WINNER and highly recommended!" --The Wishing Shelf Book Awards

What a thriller a book full of suspense, twists and turns!! Could not put this down!!

How is this a debut?? It’s incredible! And how does it only have 3.45 stars in Goodreads?? All of those readers are crazy!

Water freaks me out, so the atmosphere and spooky vibes of this book were spot on. It was PERFECT to read for spooky season! It was the perfect mix of mystery, paranormal and horror.

This is great for fans of T Kingfisher!! Can’t wait to see what this author does next.

A very different read from what I have read before , I did enjoy this book. There was lots of mystery and a intriguing story that was creepy at times.

Thanks netgalley for letting me review this book.

Omg how do I describe this book. Amazing but unusual at the same time lol.
I loved this story, the storyline was amazing and not something I saw coming at all. The way it was written was purely genius.
Can’t wait to read more by the author as they have intrigued me as to more of their books.

This book was definitely a mind twisting book. You start thinking it’s going in one direction and suddenly it veers off into a totally different way.

Eve is an interesting character, she is deathly afraid of water and yet the retreat she booked is on an island. She wakes up in a beautiful white room yet she has no recollection of getting there. She meets the care takers in the kitchen and their behavior is confusing and causes her hesitation about staying and suddenly her twin sister is there.

She begins seeing things and hearing things and the whole experience becomes weirder and weirder.

You definitely have to read this yourself to understand what i mean.

Firstly I loved the cover of this book, if I saw this on a shelf it would attract me straight away. The book had atmosphere, just when you thought you had a grip on the story, along came a twist. Well written with well crafted characters.

The House on the Lake is Holly Hill Mangin's first book. One of those books that you should start reading right away. that until the very end, you won't fully understand what's happening due to the twists and turns. And whose personalities you won't soon forget.

This is a very difficult book to review without spoilers, but I will do my best. Eve wakes up in a strange room with no memory of how she got there or why she is there. Throw in that the house has a very Red Rose vibe with changing rooms, strange stuff, and a lot of secrets. Add in two very interesting caretakers, two brothers who both vie for Eve's attention, a mirror twin who also suddenly appears, and a ghost. Also, Eve is deathly afraid of water and yet somehow, she is on an island. That basically gives you the start of the book in a nutshell. Then you follow Eve as she investigates and tries to figure things out. As Gail puts it, she is on a retreat and must relax and reflect. You are left guessing as to what is actually going on until the very end. My only problem with the book was how abrupt the reveal seemed to be (hence 4 instead of 5 stars). I thought it was something completely different and the fast reveal felt forced. However, I did enjoy this book and the ending did leave me teary-eyed but also strangely hopeful. Unfortunately, to explain why would give the ending away. One thing I always wonder about books like these, is how on earth does the author write them? Do they start at the end and then fill in the pieces backwards? Or do they fill in details and then remove them? I had maybe slight inklings of where it was going but no real concrete idea. Reading this book was a lot of fun and Mangin's talent is obvious. I definitely recommend.

Eve Beckett wakes up disoriented in a room until she realizes that she is on a retreat. She has come to check out the house because it's something that her twin sister would like and possibly haunted.

Eve discovers she is the sole visitor until her sister, Lyn, walks into the kitchen. A huge house all to themselves. Eve is very confused as to how she ended up on the island surrounded by water, since she is deathly afraid of water. The two caretakers, Hammond and Gail are not much help.

Lyn seems to know something, but wants Eve to figure it out on her own.

While touring the home, Eve indeed encounters a ghost. Along with the ghost are two men, brothers, Nick and Ari, to whom Eve is drawn. Although her head sends warnings about one making it a battle of wills with herself.

The only way off the island is by boat and that means being near the water. Eve has a week to scout the island and figure out a way she is going to leave, when she finally makes contact with the ghost. Eve is about to find out that the answers she seeks to be there all the time, just hidden. Now she has a choice to make.

This was a good read with lots of twists and the ending surprised me because I didn't see it coming.

I received an ARC from NetGalley via BooksGoSocial and I have voluntarily reviewed this book.

The House on the Lake by Holly Hill Mangin 4/5

Eve Beckett is on an island in an old manor with no recollection of how when came to be there. While on this island Eve starts experiencing paranormal things; a woman appearing and then suddenly not being there, her twin sister is there but isn't. Being in this old manor isn't the only puzzling Eve, but all that is unfolding before her is making Eve second guess herself and wonder if she'll ever make it off the island.

The House on the Lake is a phenomenal mystery & thriller read. The cover is what caught my attention and the story line left me speechless and in awe. This is truly a great read that is going to keep you guessing about what will happen next and keep you up all night wanting to find out what the next chapter has to offer.

Thank you NetGalley and Publisher for an ARC that left me wanting more.

The house on the lake by Holly Hill Mangin was a read I won’t forget….

Eve needs a retreat. One where she can unwind and recuperate. She remembers booking a week at Lakeview manor but how she got there, well that’s a mystery.

The whole manor is an oddity. Set on an island when she is deathly afraid of water? The rooms seem to be mismatched and in a state of disrepair. She seems to be the only visitor until her sister shows up.

The Manor has many secrets and the strange woman only Eve can see, has Eve believing that the island and the habitants there, are more than they first appear. The more Eve learns about how she got to the island and why, the deeper her fear runs….
Firstly I had no idea what the book was about when I started it. I was fascinated right from chapter one. I loved learning about Eve and the mystery of how she ended up on an island, especially when she is fearful of water. She had zero memory of how she got there.
I loved the setting of the manor and descriptions of the island. It was really quite a surreal read. I thought I had it figured out a few times but nope, the ending was a big twisty ball of holy moly!
Each character had depth and intrigue and I found the whole read so gripping that I was sad it was over. I love a good mystery and this one had a nice paranormal undertone that really hit all the high notes for me.
The writing was well done and I definitely would love to see more from this author!

4.5 stars! Seriously… I was pleasantly surprised by this book! Thank you to @netgalley @booksgosocial for my review copy

The House On The Lake was a good read, with some good, unexpected twists and turns.

I wanted a spooky read and I got a story that kept me on my toes, the pace was engaging I wasn't quick enough to turn the pages to find the truth.

The last twist shocked me, maybe I'd have liked a different ending but I've still enjoyed this read.

Creepy story. Good storyline. Keep me engaged and wanting to know what's next. This is how you tell a creepy tale.

Eve Beckett has always loved a good mystery, but never dreamed she would become part of one. She has no memory of how she arrived at Lakeview Manor, on the Island of Esse, and soon realizes it is surrounded by water, and Eve has always been terrified of water. There is no way out. The inn caretakers are odd, the rooms of the Manor teleport and Eve begins seeing apparitions no one else can see.
When her identical twin, Lyn, also suddenly arrives at the Manor, with no idea how she got there, the sisters realize they need to find a way out. Find a way off the island of Esse. Eve has fallen for the caretakers' brother, Nick, though she was warned to avoid him, but it is too late. Nick is not what he seems, the Manor is not what it seems. Will Eve and Lyn ever find a way off this creepy island?
The characters are relatable, easy to become attached to and the flow of the story draws you into this suspenseful Gothic thriller. The pace was great, Some of the conversations were a bit silly, but overall this was a fantastic story and great book.
Recommended.
Thanks to #netgalley for sending this e-book ARC for fair review.
#netgalley #HouseOnTheLeft

It was an engaging read, with some twist that were keeping me on my toes. I liked the characters and the story pace was good. I really enjoyed this book!

I love paranormal stories. And this book hits all the requirements: suspense, ghostly spectres, a sullen, human man who captures the heroines attention, an eerie house. It's hard to capture the ambiance of a haunting but Ms Mangin has nailed it. I look forward to shivering through more of her books!
Thank you NetGalley for providing this copy. The opinion here is solely my own.