Picking up the Pieces

Pub Date 10 Jan 2023 | Archive Date 24 Jan 2023

Talking about this book? Use #PickingupthePieces #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this heart-warming story from million copy bestselling author Amanda Prowse, Nora has given up on finding happiness. But has it been waiting for her all along?

As Nora and her British Army officer husband, Gordy, pack up yet another home and leave the sun of Cyprus for the drizzle of England, she can’t shake a feeling of regret—at her failure to follow her own dreams, but also, if she’s honest, at having ended up an officer’s wife at all, drifting through a life of temporary homes and temporary relationships.

Since losing her parents at a young age, Nora’s life has been lacking an anchor: someone or something to make her feel secure. Her marriage has been her only permanent relationship, and just as even that appears to be fizzling out, a tragedy forces Nora into the role of legal guardian to her seven-year-old nephew, Ted. Faced suddenly with a responsibility she never dreamed of, how can Nora possibly offer the boy the kind of unconditional love he deserves, when she’s never experienced it for herself?

But as she navigates the precarious and unfamiliar world of parenthood, Nora begins to see herself through Ted’s eyes, as someone worthy of love and even joy. When she’s welcomed into the previously intimidating huddle of mums at the school gate, she has to wonder: is it too late to smash down the other barriers she’s built—and to have a second chance at a happy marriage with Gordy?

As Nora and her British Army officer...

A Note From the Publisher

Amanda Prowse is an international bestselling author of twenty-eight novels published in dozens of languages. Her chart-topping titles What Have I Done?, Perfect Daughter, My Husband’s Wife, The Coordinates of Loss, The Girl in the Corner and The Things I Know have sold millions of copies around the world. Other novels by Amanda Prowse include A Mother’s Story, which won the coveted Sainsbury’s eBook of the Year Award. Perfect Daughter was selected as a World Book Night title in 2016, and The Boy Between (a memoir written with her son, Josiah Hartley) was selected in 2022. She has been described by the Daily Mail as ‘the queen of family drama’.

Amanda is the most prolific writer of bestselling contemporary fiction in the UK today. Her titles consistently score the highest online review approval ratings across several genres.

A popular TV and radio personality, Amanda is a regular panellist on Channel 5’s Jeremy Vine show, as well as featuring on numerous daytime ITV programmes. She also makes countless guest appearances on national and independent radio stations, including LBC and talkRADIO, where she is well known for her insightful observations and infectious humour.

Amanda’s ambition is to create stories that keep people from turning off the bedside lamp at night, that ensure you walk every step with her great characters, and tales that fill your head so you can’t possibly read another book until the memory fades…

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781542024815
PRICE £8.99 (GBP)
PAGES 348

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

This book was sent to me electronically by Netgalley for review. This is a character driven novel written by a talented author. The setting, of course, adds to the story in a positive way. What will happen next? Will the main character find herself or forever be lost in her family life? Enjoy this book. It does go slowly at times…

I couldn’t wait to get stuck into the latest Amanda prowse book and read this in one sitting as usual this author gets right to the heart of human emotion and also brings the topic of mental health out into the open with sensitivity and feeling. and reiterates the message that it’s ok to not be ok and no shame in asking for or needing help

This author has a way of writing about everyday experiences and real people in such a beautiful and heartfelt way and addresses topics and situations that lots of people are able to relate to and this book was no exception. It was also a story of rebuilding relationships and finding happiness and a way to find peace with the past and move forwards.

I read this in a day a couldn’t put it down and was like being on an emotional rollercoaster. I cried a lot and laughed at other times as there was also the odd bit of humour thrown in to break up the sadness.

Am already eagerly awaiting this authors next read.

A powerful story as we meet Nora and in some way we all can relate to her.
A husband in the military, life with the endless temporary homes. The hours of being alone, the formal ceremonies to attend to. Now things change within her when a new challenge, and responsibility came. The doubts of how does one raise her nephew. To finding within herself the walls she had to protect
herself with all the changes. A heartwarming story, well written, readers will enjoy
Given ARC.by Net Galley and Amazon UK for my voluntary review and my honest opinion

Another Amanda Prowse book to dive into? Don't mind if I do! I am a huge fan of her magnificent writing, and I was not disappointed at all by the beautiful story that is Picking Up the Pieces.
Nora is a military wife, used to accompanying her well-decorated husband Gordy wherever he is stationed, but life is beginning to feel tiresome. She's lost all sense of roots.
They are on the brink of collapse when a phone call shatters what was her life, as she rushes to be a support for her sister, Kiki, and little nephew, Ted.
I don't want to reiterate the story to you. What kind of review would that be?
But what I will say is that Amanda Prowse has sensitively dealt with the fragility of mental health here as well as delving into how childhood experiences can shape your thinking and way of life more than you know.
Nora and Gordy are two people you could be friends with. Kiki and her masquerade as a happy single mum remind you that you should never judge a book by its cover.
And I have to mention the little diversion to the story that comes in several snippets from Spain, that weaves another layer of magic into the inevitable ending.
Beautiful story. I read it in a day, and I have to admit to being a little sad when it ended, too!
Many thanks to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Picking up the Pieces is a beautifully written book. Amanda Prowse takes a tragedy and turns it into the coming together of a family. I love how she also potrays how people can have an affect on other's lives even if they don't know it. I enjoyed seeing Nora and Kiki's perspectives of their childhood and how the same events can look very different to different people. I will be looking up more of Amanda Prowse's books.

Heartbreaking, bittersweet and funny in places. Amanda certainly writes the type of book that tugs at the heartstrings without being emotionally draining. I love the relationship between all the female characters and you don’t need to be biologically related to have that sister bond which is how it should be.

This is novel that doesn’t shy away from difficult subjects. Written sensitively and with compassion, I loved it. A really fabulous read!

Picking up the Pieces by Amanda Prowse

Another wonderful book by the author. She always manages to get to the very heart of what makes the human tick . All aspects of relationships are covered including the ones we experience with ourself.in this case mental health .
A great storyline which really pulls you in and is totally believable . I wanted life to turn out well for Nora.

Picking up the Pieces by Amanda Prowse has written a brilliant, gripping, spectacular book.

This book takes us on a journey through Nora and Gordy's story.
With real life experiences and raw emotions that one faces in life.
Dealing with some rough decisions and hardships her journey only makes her stronger in the end.
Her story is one that will touch you and leave you feeling all sorts of emotions.
Prowse knows how to write an awesome story and I loved this one from the beginning to end.
Exquisite, heart-warming, emotional and engaging... This was one I absolutely enjoyed the hell out of.

"I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."

Amazon Pub UK,
Thank You for your generosity and gifting me a copy of this amazing eARC!
I will post my review to my blog, platforms, BookBub, B&N, Kobo and Waterstone closer to pub date.

This was a fantastic read. The author did a perfect job blending the characters and the background. It was a great read.

This book has left me in a puddle of emotions ..I've been on a wash and spin cycle and its left me wrung out! I was totally invested in Nora' s story and it threw up so many long buried memories and emotions of my own childhood and my own beloved sister Nora (Noreen). How damaged we all are in our way and how unaware we are of what's happening in the lives of those closest to us. Even the cameo roles in the this sumptuous book were intriguing, relatable, lovable and totally absorbing. I love the circle of friends surrounding Kiki and how much better life would be if we all had such friends. The description of army live, along with its constant moves, loneliness and impermanence was so accurate. I wanted to throw my arms around Nora and Gordy and ease the pain bubble they were both locked within. Such believable, well fleshed characters who's pain was so raw it broke my heart. I don't want to spoil the story but I stayed awake all night unable to leave them until I knew their ending. There's only one thing I would have changed..with the power invested in the author's pen, I'd have made Nora pregnant. Amanda leaves so much of herself on every page, just how much I realise ,as I'm also reading Women Like Us at the moment which is her own life story. This writer just gets better and better and no experience goes to waste. Every thing she endures, everything she experiences or observes gets woven into the most magical, spellbinding books. Bravo!

Another 5 star book from Amanda, which I was privileged to read as an arc. A lesson to be learned about family ties and mental health. Highly recommend

what a fantastic read, thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to review this book. I could not put it down.

Another great read by Amanda, beautiful, sensitive and totally pulls at your heartstrings!
Childhood experiences past and present, mental health issues, marriage and relationship problems and the wonderful gift of friendship, community and family!
Nora and her sister Kiki are not particularly close due to having had very different childhood upbringings and memories, their adult lives couldn’t possibly be any different, Nora married to Gordy a military man is well travelled, comfortably off but not happy in her relationship and feels lonely! Kiki is a single mum to Ted surrounded by friends living paycheque to paycheque.
When Nora is unexpectedly called upon to look after her nephew Ted, realisation hits as she softens, embraces friends, reconnects with her sister, experiences the love of a child and ultimately rekindles her love for her husband as barriers are lowered and a new feeling of acceptance and happiness takes over!
Although sensitive mental health issues are involved overall you are left with a heartwarming uplifting read that I would highly recommend.
Thank you net galley for this early read.

Another exceptional book by Amanda. I have read and loved every one of her books and this is no exception. An emotional storyline that wrenches at your heart. Very sensitively written about mental health issues and the effects it can have on close friends and family. An easy 5 star read.

Emotional, heart wrenching and beautiful, all wrapped up into one story, where the difficult subjects of mental health and attempted suicide are driving the story forward and dealt with sensitively.

Nora puts her own life on hold to step in and cover her sister's whilst she is recovering from her suicide attempt. With no children of her own, Nora is thrown in at the deep end when she has to go and look after her seven-year old nephew Ted.

It's heart warming how Kiki's friends rally around Nora to help her with Ted, but gut wrenching how they are all trying to understand why they didn't notice that Kiki was unhappy and struggling.

In the process Nora's own marriage goes through a transformation, and in an extra layer to the story, we are given snippets from her childhood in Spain. Everything is brought together in a beautiful, feel-good ending.

Trigger warnings: mental health and suicide attempt

What a fantastic read. I loved Nora's story she is married to a soldier and they move around a lot and just when they start having some problems a tragedy occurs and she finds herself looking after her sister Kiki's seven year old son Ted. Dont want to give anything away because its a wonderful read, loved the way her background was written into the story Amanda Prowse really draws you in so you get invested in the characters.and there is always an important subject at the heart of the story which really resonates with the readers. There is always difficulties in families and misunderstandings happen and sometimes you have to learn to forgive yourself so that you can be there for each other and with the help of some fantastic friends of her sisters ,Nora and Kiki finally come to terms with the events of the past so that they can finally start being close again. A brilliant ending to a great story which was emotional ,heartwarming and healing. Highly recommend this book a well deserved 5⭐read .

A coming of age story but in the case of Nora it's coming in adulthood. After the early death of her parents she's been scared of letting anyone get close including her husband. When she hears her sister is in hospital she drops everything to care for her Nephew Ted. During this time she starts to realise what she's missed in her life, but is it too late to make amends?
As with many Amanda Prowse books she tugs at your heartstrings and gives her readers a lovely tale with relatable characters.
Thanks to Netgalley and Amazon Publishing for the advanced copy of which I'm under no obligation to review

A really great heartwarming book showing the lives of two sisters and the different perspectives they both had on their early lives. Nora has to struggle with a lot of issues from her childhood and has a very loving husband who had to deal with her. I felt sorry for Kiki but I fell in love with little Ted.

Having been an Army wife for 20 years, I recognised many of the situations in this book. Being a mum is the default setting for an army wife, so not having children really marks Nora out - and would have made her life more challenging.
An enjoyable book, great for a holiday or long train or plane journey.

This is the fourth time I have read a book by Amanda Prowse and again I am really impressed with a story that celebrates the strength of women in a variety of circumstances. I really love the way the author tends to write about older, middle-age women, because I think it adds so much depth to the story and their experiences.

Picking Up The Pieces is the story of Nora, married to military man Gordy, who feel as though their marriage is on the brink. When Nora returns to England to care for her sister’s son whilst her sister is unwell, Nora realises just how much she’s missed out on in her life by not having children. The book also looks at Nora and Kiki’s early life and the experiences they had by having very distracted, neglectful parents.

The storyline of Kiki’s mental illness was approached with great sensitivity and I liked the way things were resolved in the storyline which reflected both how hard it can be to have a mental illness and see a path forward but didn’t feel as if it was too quick to be resolved in the story.

I thought the most genuine and heartfelt scene of the whole book was when Nora and Gordy talked and argued as they were on the brink of divorce. The dialogue seemed so real and I didn’t know which way they would go with their relationship. I did really feel that things worked out in a way that made a lot of sense for the book and for the characters and I admit to being in floods of tears by the end of the book. It’s a beautiful story.

Thank you to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

Amanda Prowse has written another wonderful novel in Picking Up the Pieces. Long married Nora and her husband Gordy are set to return to England after their latest military posting in Cypress. When Gordy announces that he thinks they should consider a divorce, Nora is shaken. She knew things hadn't been great between them, but she didn't think it was THAT bad. Then she receives a call saying her sister is in the hospital after a suicide attempt and she is needed to take care of her young nephew. She quickly heads back to England in turmoil. Can she take care of a child? She never wanted children, so how will she cope? And most importantly, WHY would her sister try to take her own life?

As she walks through the next few weeks she realizes she was wrong about so many things, but is it too late to save her marriage, settle in one place and find true happiness? Thank you to the author,Amazon Publishing UK and NetGalley for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

I'm a fan of Amanda's books anyway so I was excited to read this one. I loved it! Nora is a great character. I laughed and cried throughout. Brilliant.

Another brilliant book. Some of the topics covered in this story are close to Amanda's heart: military life and mental health issues.
Strong, lovable and realistic characters are cemented in this story.
Hidden family issues surface in the lives of sisters Nora and Kiki. Both have struggled to accept the past but with different aspects.
Gordy and Ted need to feel needed but they have plenty of love to give. Can the four of them overcome the past and look to a solid future?

This is the first Amanda Prowse book I gave read and I chose it because of how much my friends rave about her. Unfortunately, this just didn't hit the mark for me - I found it very difficult to get into the actual story which made it difficult for me to want to pick it up. As such, it was a hard slog to complete. Whilst there is nothing exactly wrong with the book, it just wasn't for me. I felt the story was slow but then the ending was rushed.

I've chosen to give it 3 stars as once I did get into it, I enjoyed parts of the story and actually felt a connection with Nora. I'm hoping to try another Prowse book before giving up entirely as I do hear lots of good things.

Wow, another great Amanda read, loved every page, the characters, the story line, everything came together for a wonderful read

A book that is exquisite, delicate, and really touches the heart.
Past and present childhood experiences, mental health concerns, marital and relationship troubles, as well as the beautiful gift of friendship, community, and family ties.
Due to their very dissimilar childhood experiences and memories, Nora and her sister Kiki are not incredibly close. Nora is married to a military man named Gordy and is well-traveled and financially comfortable, but she is unhappy in her marriage and feel empty.

Once Nora accepts the unexpected responsibility of caring for her nephew Ted, she begins to soften, embrace her friends, reestablish contact with her sister, feel a child's love, and ultimately rediscover her love for her husband as her barriers are broken down and a newfound sense of acceptance and joy takes hold.

This book is great for readers who enjoys heart-warming story about family and friends.

What a wonderful book. I have not read any of Amanda Prowse previous books so wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed reading this book. It is a book that anyone in a military family can relate to but everyone can enjoy reading.

The story of a woman, Nora, being away from family, wanting to support those who need her but also needing to support herself and her life and marriage. It has all the events life through at us and covers details and emotions most people can relate to and have dealt with at some stage in their lives.

It is such a well written book and the characters are people you feel you know and you can feel their angst and pain as well as their happiness. And it wasn't by any means predictable so the story kept me involved and wanting to read more.

A great book and an author who I now need to read more of. I highly recommend this wonderful book.

Another absolutely stunning and heartbreaking book by Amanda Prowse. This book is beautiful.

It tells the story of Nora whose husband is in the army. They are currently on the move again, uprooting their lives in sunny Cyprus and moving back to England. Nora has started to question her life and the regrets that she has at not following her own dreams. Questioning if the life she is currently living is the one she really wants at all.

It is at this point that tragedy enters Nora's life and she suddenly becomes the legal guardian of her seven year old nephew. Navigating the unfamiliar world of parenthood Nora begins to see the world and herself through the eyes of Ted. Knowing that she deserves to give him the life she never had Nora starts to rewrite the story of hers and Ted's life.

Amanda Prowse has done it again in producing another super story. This time I’m sure she drew on her experiences she witnessed as an Army wife which enriched this tale.
Nora and her British Army Officer husband Gordy have moved home so many times, as expected with his job, but when he is stationed back to England after Cyprus Nora starts to have doubts if this is the life she wants to continue with. Nora dreams of settling in a permanent house where she can follow her passion and garden to hearts content.
Just as they begin to pack up Nora receives a phone call that turns her life upside down, as she suddenly finds herself responsible for her seven-year-old Nephew Ted. Nora decided very early on that mother hood was not for her but faced with new experiences she begins to realise that this decision affected both hers and Gordy’s life.
This heart-warming story explores loneliness, relationships and mental health showing that support can come from surprising sources. I loved this story and its characters.
My thanks to Net Galley and Amazon Publishing UK for the advanced copy.

Picking up the Pieces is another Amanda Process triumph. It's a story of loneliness, learning how to love and be loved and finding family, whatever that means to you. Would highly recommended.

I’ve just finished this beautiful book well past my bedtime. Amanda has done it again, I was left with a warm feeling and an admiration of how great a storyteller she is.

Nora is married to Gordy a British Army Officer. It has been her job to support her husband and follow him from post to post. She has reached a point in her life when she begins to question her life and happiness. Past childhood experiences have left an imprint on her life and Gordy provided a safe haven for her to escape those experiences but she now wonders has she lost her way along the way.

Nora’s younger sister Kiki has been a distant part of her life. She has always seemed happy and carefree to Nora but a phone call reveals Kiki is far from happy and in fact she in hospital following a suicide attempt.

Nora travels kiki’s home to help look after Ted her seven year old nephew. Navigating the unfamiliar parenthood role gives Nora a purpose and joy she never expected. It leads her to open up more and allow others to come into her life, making unexpected friends and reconnecting with her sister and her husband in turn.

I loved the second story based in Spain which was a large part of Nora’s story and one which ran throughout the book . It really made me understand Nora more. I was willing the beautiful letter to wing its way to its rightful owner and what a story it created itself as well.

This book covered so many topics all which most people will experience in their own lives. One in particular, mental health was portrayed in an enlightening and informative way. It touched my heart and made me feel like I knew the characters personally. A truly beautiful book and one which I didn’t want to end.

A tale not to my taste. Too wordy and over written. Did not finish the book as I found it too ling winded. Thank you for the opportunity to read this book.

I thoroughly enjoyed this emotionally-drawn story of two estranged sisters and their complicated lives. I kept turning the pages and my heart was warmed and satisfied as I saw each of them growing and changing, and moving towards each other.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and publisher for an advanced reading copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

"Picking up the Pieces" covers so many issues, including the difficulty of being a military wife and mental health. Nora and Kiki are sisters but there is a 12 year age gap. Whilst Nora knew their parents, although not that well, Kiki was a baby when they died. There are 2 broken/breaking marriages in this story; Kiki is divorced and a single parent, while Nora's relationship with her husband has issues. We see the women struggling with parenting (as a crisis requires Nora to look after her 7 year old nephew Ted), family relationships and friendships.

Both of the main female characters are complex, which doesn't help with Ted's confusion. Luckily there are friends, friendly teachers and Nora's husband Gordon on hand to help. A question is raised, which will get many thinking, as to whether some couples should actually have children. This is a complicated and thought provoking book which is well worth reading.

Thanks to Net Galley and the publishers for the opportunity to review this book.

This was a sad but heart warming story. A broken family brought back together after a family emergency.
I loved all the characters and sympathised with them all.
The ending was amazing. Definitely recommend

The story of two sisters, orphanned at an early age and who due to circumstances are not close. Nora, the older sister, steps up to care for her nephew when her younger sister is admitted to hospital.
The book concerns the long reaching effects their parents deaths had in the lives of the sisters, as well as the time before and after. In true Prowse style emotions are dealt with sensitively and realistically and the story is theartwarming . It makes for a great read, with plenty of advice along the way.
Thanks to Net Galley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review

First off, thank you to Amanda Prowse, Lake Union Publishing, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read a Kindle ARC of this book.

This is the eleventh book that I have read by Amanda Prowse. Yes, I love her gift for storytelling, her beautiful writing, and how strong her characters are. She is one of my very favorite authors, and I am slowly reading the books she wrote BEFORE I discovered her. I still have quite a few to read - YEAH, ME!!

All of her novels, so far, have involved the intricacies of family, marriage, and life. I love that I can relate to the characters and their lives even if they are usually somewhere in England. Her books are one of the reasons that I really am working on researching my family genealogy - I have a LOT of English in me that I never knew about!! These beautiful novels just transport me - sometimes books are read for joy and this book is THAT!! Just joyful!

This novel was no exception to the incredible stories that Amanda writes. Another beautiful summer read or mid-winter read - it is just a lovely book.

HIGHLY recommend!!!

Picking Up the Pieces, by Amanda Prowse, is a moving novel about the bonds of family and being there for each other. The characters were interesting, well written and most of them were extremely likeable. Nora is understandably a bit standoffish at the beginning but she slowly allows herself to open up throughout the story in such a beautiful way.
*I'm not sure if there's a stigma with psych meds but I've noticed a pattern of them being a bit misrepresented in books from the U.K.. Nora's sister talks about trying such meds, once, but they zoned her out so she never tries any others again. It doesn't go into any depth but it sounds like her doctor sent her home with "controlled" meds instead of "non-controlled" daily meds and never followed up.*
Nora’s been struggling since her parents died back when she was a teenager. Not to mention how neglectful they were while they were still alive. The only stability that she's had in her life has been her husband but now that relationship seems to be hanging by a thread.
Then a tragedy has Nora running back to England to take care of her nephew, Ted. She never even wanted to be in a parental role but now that's exactly what she needs to be for her nephew. Suddenly she's learning how unconditional love works, as well as how wonderful & stressful it can be.
Now as she starts learning to let others in, she's also seeing another version of herself. Since she likes this version of herself better, she starts to hope that maybe it can lead to hope for her marriage, after all.

This title is perfect!
The main character, Nora, is just not happy with her life.
What changes does she need to make to find contentment?

Then.... Nora is abruptly thrown in to the role of "parent" when she is called to help care for her seven year old nephew. She doesn't even know this young boy or how to be a parent.
Nora sees some of what she has been missing in her world these past years.
Unconditional love, and helping others as well as being loved are what Nora needs.

This book is well written, emotional and definitely so well done.
I quickly got absorbed into this broken family. It is a wonderful family story that all will enjoy!

Thank you to NetGalley and to Amazon Publishing UK for this ARC and allowing me to read and provide my own review.

4.5 Stars

Amanda Prowse is the UK Queen of women's heartfelt fiction. This is my sixth book by the author and every single one of them has been a four or five-star read and Picking Up the Pieces is no different.

In this tale, Nora goes to help look after her nephew while her sister is recovering in the hospital. Nora is not close to her sister and she barely knows her young nephew, Ted, at all. At the same time, she has taken all this on her marriage is in crisis. We also get a look at Nora's childhood and how she lost her distant parents at such a young age. I know it seems like a lot is going on but it all makes sense and weaves together beautifully in the end.

I liked how the book touched on the mental health aspect, it was portrayed in such a realistic manner and with such sensitivity. I also felt I learned something from it, never be ashamed of needing or asking for help. It can be such a touchy subject matter but the author writes about it in an educational and sensitive manner.

With her life falling apart at the seams, can Nora handle what life's thrown at her? You'll have to read the book to find out! This was such a heartwarming and uplifting read and I enjoyed every page of it, Ms. Prowse is such a magnificent teller of tales. I hugged this when I was done.

Another thoroughly enjoyable book from Amanda Prowse. However, I did find that it was a little slow in places but overall, a good read. The sub-plot about returning a painting to the rightful owners I found a little unnecessary and the subsequent endings to that part of the story a little rushed however, this did not detract at all from the main plot. All the same, this is a book to enjoy

‘the beautiful thing about life, [is] it begins when we let it. ‘Picking up the Pieces’ is about learning to rebuild yourself when life shatters you.

Nora is a lonely child, born to Bohemian parents who seem to have little care for her existence. She seeks stability by marrying a military man. However, ultimately, because Nora felt unloved as a child, she feels unloveable; keeping everyone at a distance. ‘It’s hard to love when you have grown up without being loved.’ When her sister Kiki reaches a crisis point, Nora is forced to step in, step up and question her own misconceptions. She realises that it’s human connection, shared memories and vulnerability that makes life meaningful.

Amanda Prowse has written a poignant book which gracefully deals with mental health, love and connection. I did find the first half of the book slow to build, but the second half unfurled to reveal real warmth and honesty. Overall a good piece of contemporary fiction.

This novel is set from the perspective of a military wife seeking permanency and longing for that. The wife is questioning whether or not she wants a more permanent placement and begins to question her marriage. She is surprised when she becomes the custodian of her nephew despite never having desired to be a mother. This was a good ready! This was read as an ARC from NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing.

A well written book that deals with a sensitive subjects in a very considerate way, exploring how an event can affect everyone differently, from laugh out loud moments through to some very raw stuff . Nora, the main character, is very believable and I thoroughly enjoyed her journey through some difficult times. Thoroughly recommend.

Amanda Prowse never fails to provide insight into life, relationships and human nature in her own style. This is beautifully written and engages you from the outset.
Her exploration of the relationship between husband and wife, mother and son, nephew and aunt, and sisters is honest, heartbreaking and moving.
A wonderful read.

I'm sort of emotional right now. This book has them all over the place.
This new to me author has captured this story in a way that's realistic and it's definitely believable. I liked it because some hard truths are explored in this novel with Nora at the helm.
Life's changes are suddenly thrusted at her in ways she never expected. I kept rooting for her the whole way through.
Life's lessons and journey is a part of living and some can be an adventure while others are a struggle especially with grief.
Grief is the hardest thing. That's the part I hated. Sometimes I just wanted to give Nora a big hug for stepping in where she was needed. I admired her for that.
I enjoyed this book very very much. I finished it in a day because I couldn't put Nora's story down until it was finished.
5 stars for a job well done! I highly recommend!
My thanks for a copy of this book. I was NOT required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Another great 5* book from Amanda. Following Norah an army officer wife as she battles with relationships and an unorthodox upbringing. At the same time her sister tries to take her own life and so Norah looks after Ted her nephew whilst trying to get back with her husband. Wonderful characters who are easy to like. My only negative is the long chapters.

As with most of Amanda Prowse's books, i loved this one. i get excited each time i see a new one appear and cant wait to get my hands on it and this was no different. We meet Nora and Gordy at a rocky time in their relationship and things change very quickly for them when Nora returns to the UK from Cyprus to care for her nephew Ted. He brings a different meaning to her life and she realises what life could be like with friends and family around you and not just operating on temporary residences and friendships.

I loved the developing relationships in this book and the character driven plot line, This shows a significant delve into mental health and the surrounding issues, very apt given her recent book written with her son. Its very touching and emotional in places but also show how good, strong relationships can help and bring untold amounts of love, care and support.

I loved this and can't wait for her next book!

This story was beautifully written, told through multiple time periods and focused tightly around military spousehood, mental health, and the impact of childhood trauma. I really enjoyed the glimpses into the main character's childhood, and the duality shown between friendship, sisterhood, and what you would do for family. I really enjoyed this: unlike some reviewers I thought this took a bit to really pick up steam, but by about page 100 I could not possibly put it down.

I love Amanda Prowse as an author as she brings all her characters to life. I enjoyed this book but felt that it was. A tad on the slow side at places. The characters were all well described and fairly easy to relate to and partly related to real life issues. As much as this was a good book to read I felt that the ending was to sudden and incomplete s I wanted more to know what happened after Mario came to the UK.

This is the first book by Amanda Prowse, that I have read, and I have to say, that I really enjoyed it.
Nora was such a strong main character, despite her marriage woes, and the circumstances with her younger sister. I found her to be a very caring person despite her upbringing, and even though having to take care of her young nephew Ted, was new to her, I think she did a fantastic job.
Amanda Prowse did a wonderful thing, with the family interactions, and it felt so realistic. Sometimes it made me feel warm, and happy, and other times, I felt a little sad.
But overall, this was such a nice book to end 2022 with. It was just perfect. Thank you to the author, and to the publisher, for allowing me to read this advanced copy.