Spacer's Bet

An Aliya War prequel

Pub Date 23 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 23 Oct 2022

Talking about this book? Use #SpacersBet #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The attack came out of nowhere. Suddenly a hunting pack, flashing Lupan IDs, dropped out of Jump to fire on the unarmed ore hauler Shojai.

Isfahan "Iz" Hauler Shojai had only an instant to wonder why before the attackers’ guns ripped open Shojai’s cargo bay.

The cargo bay where her ditzy younger brother Kansas was working. The bay whose crew was sucked out into the void. Like herself, Kansas was genetically engineered to survive vacuum. But his protective shell couldn’t hold forever. Battling time and the chaos of a wounded ship, Iz launched herself into the vacuum of the gutted hold to rescue her brother.

Badly damaged Shojai limps into RockPort only to discover that the port is now under the ‘protection’ of Moscow, a woman whose laws are as harsh as the blue ice of her liege world, Streiker. She demands all fees up front. Worse, the voices Kansas ‘hears in his head’ have him spouting a language he doesn’t even speak. But Moscow does.

Already fearing repercussions, Iz drags Kansas away from a dockside murder. But she soon learns that there is far more at stake than just their own lives. They must get to the near-mythical world of Earth or risk the destruction of the human Commonwealth itself.

It doesn’t help that Moscow’s cat attaches itself to Kansas. Especially because the cat seems to have an agenda of its own…

If you enjoy Anne Leckie’s Ancillary series, or Firefly, then you need to meet Iz and Kansas. Dive into this exciting prequel to the upcoming Aliya War series!

Isfahan "Iz" Hauler Shojai had only an instant to wonder...

ISBN 000B0BD2LWVB3

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Spacer's Bet by Bonnie Milani

Thank you Netgallery for a copy for an unbiased review.

I'd never heard of the Aliya War Universe of books until I read Spacer's Bet, but my interest has been captured.

What an absolute delight of a Sci-Fi story. It was fast paced from the moment the book started. It had a great plot line, engaging characters and was something that felt familiar for Sci-Fi readers in how it was presented, yet was good enough to stand up on its own.

Iz and Kansas both were fantastic. The sibling interactions felt spot on. Main characters that you were rooting for pretty much from the start.

The stand out star though for me was Dillinger. I won't say any more about them because you need to read the book to find out.

I'm more than happy to give this 5/5 stars 🌟

My favorite type of science fiction book is a novel that brings forth a new perspective to view; Spacer's Bet does that hands down. Milani has written a great book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and look forward to the next by Milani.

This was an action-packed, fast-paced sci-fi thriller. Technology descriptions were believable, characters were interesting and well-developed. I liked how the author uses the theme from a classic novel and weaves it through her story. I was hooked from the first page. I totally enjoyed reading this book and look forward to the next one. Highly recommend

5 stars, Two Spacer Kids, and a Lottery

SPACER'S BET: ALIYA WAR UNIVERSE (AN ALIYA WAR PREQUEL #0.5)
by Bonnie Milani

This was the first book that I've read from Bonnie Milani. She writes a great science fiction novel, complete with Spacers, Miners, siblings, and Andy's. I deeply appreciated the lack of religious profanities. Godsbedamed seemed similar, yet different.

At times, I could imagine being there in the family spaceship, with Iz, Kansas, and Dillinger. There were some fantastical fantasy parts as well, but nothing too far out of reality to be believable.

Highly recommend it for an outer space adventure.

I received a complimentary copy of #spacersbet #aliyawarprequel from #netgalley #booksgosocial I was under no obligation to post a review. #bibliophile #reviewer #sciencefiction #scifi #fantasy #youngadult #2022newreleasebooks

Thanks to a review online that assured me that I could read this book without having knowledge of any others in it’s series, I took a chance on Spacers Bet by Bonnie Milani. This Aliyah War prequel had all the pieces that I enjoy in science fiction. It is the adventure of a space worker named Iz who gets caught up in issues above her pay grade while trying to keep her brother out of trouble. Iz is an augmented human, and is anxious about her difference from others. She regularly comes in contact with other species, which adds a type of racial divide among the characters. And she seems to be used to doing crazy stunts and sacrifices to keep her young brother out of trouble. Situations take her away from the home she knows in space and to the origination of her human roots on Earth. The author gives wonderful sensory descriptions of being on our planet and Iz’s wonderment of having feet on the ground and no ceiling above her. She gets herself involved in the action early on, keeping the reader moving along with her plight. I highly enjoyed this fast paced science fiction tale for those who like biotech, genetics, space shuttle chases, political intrigue and android pets. I appreciate that Spacers Bet is not gory and has no profanity. I look forward to reading something additional from this author. Thank you to NetGalley for an early ecopy of this novel in return for an honest review.