Happy Place

Pub Date 27 Apr 2023 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #HappyPlace #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

'One of my favourite authors' Colleen Hoover, It Ends With Us
'The master of witty repartee' Daily Mail

Two exes. One pact.
Could this holiday change everything?

Harriet and Wyn are the perfect couple - they go together like bread and butter, gin and tonic, Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds.

Every year for the past decade, they have run away from their lives to drink far too much wine and soak up the sea air with their favourite people in the world.

Except this year, they are lying through their teeth. Harriet and Wyn broke up six months ago. And they still haven't told anyone.

But this is the last time they'll all be together here. The cottage is for sale, and since they can't bear to break their best friends' hearts, they'll fake it for one more week.

But how can you pretend to be in love - and get away with it - in front of the people who know you best?

Brimming with characters you can't help but fall for and off-the-charts chemistry, HAPPY PLACE is Emily Henry doing what she does best!

-----

'Emily Henry never fails to deliver great banter and a romance to swoon over' Taylor Jenkins Reid, Daisy Jones and the Six

'I've loved every single one of her books more than the previous, to the point that I cannot wait to see what her next title will do to me!' Ali Hazelwood, The Love Hypothesis

'Emily Henry's books are a gift, the perfect balance between steamy and sweet' V. E Schwab, Gallant

'Nobody does it quite like Emily Henry' Casey McQuiston, Red, White & Royal Blue

'Our generation's answer to Nora Ephron' Sophie Cousens, This Time Next Year

'My newest automatic-buy author' Jodi Picoult, Wish You Were Here

'I don't understand how Emily Henry can KEEP getting better and better when her books are already so good!' Laura Jane Williams, Our Stop

'I would follow Emily Henry anywhere' Emma Straub, All Adults Here

'One of my favourite authors' Colleen Hoover, It Ends With Us
'The master of witty repartee' Daily Mail

Two exes. One pact.
Could this holiday change everything?

Harriet and Wyn are the perfect...

PRICE £14.99 (GBP)
PAGES 400

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I couldn’t believe it when I got this in my email, I am so grateful to have read this before the release! Words can’t even describe how much I loved this book. If there was a six star rating, this would get it without a doubt. As always, the setting was incredibly described. Reading this book transported me to the cottage and Knott’s Harbour and I wish I could go and visit!

As for the characters, I saw my self so much in Harriet. I absolutely adore her. I would love to be a part of their friendship group, they seem like so much fun! Also, where can I buy a Wyn? I want one please!! He’s possibly my favourite Emily Henry love interest so far! I loved HarrietWyn and their love story <3

I really enjoyed the structure of this book and seeing how the story and their friendship/relationships evolved over the years. The topic of friendship was really well explored and the entire story was so full of feeling and emotion, I even cried at some points. It was extremely well written.

Reading an Emily Henry book is like putting on your favourite comfy hoodie; so comforting and familiar in the best way. I can’t wait to read whatever she writes next.

I made a playlist of songs that I listened to whilst reading, you can find it here: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7BoKGGvs9LXQMMqoN5e1iX?si=r4cf6dTbRtuAr1HNUhXOdQ (Taylor Swift is heavily featured, obviously).

Thank you so much to Georgia Taylor and Viking books for the arc!

I would like to offer an official apology to Emily Henry because there was a split second, whilst reading the blurb, that I doubted whether I would enjoy Happy Place. I had panicked that this would be the first of her books that didn't appeal to me. In reality I don't think I have ever been more wrong about anything ever.

Within the first few pages Happy Place latched onto me and I haven't been able to shake it loose since (and quite frankly I don't want to). This book is EVERYTHING to me. It has become my standard. This will be the book that I will compare every single future romance against.

This is one of the most believable relationships I've ever read. Emily Henry so effectively captured the hope, longing and excitement of the start of a relationship, when a couple are in their will they/won't they stage and are just discovering each other. It was so honest and raw and real, that I felt like I was there falling in love with them too. And this is only such a minor part of their story told through flashbacks/memories.

These characters and their relationships and friendships are written so well that I don't think I will ever recover. The layers of past and present so succinctly form the picture of their lives that I feel like I have lived my life alongside theirs and will forevermore.

With every word I could feel Harriets heartbreak as if it was my own. I ached for her when she saw Wyn for the first time, I struggled with her when she realised it would be even harder to walk away from him at the end of the trip and I mourned with her when it became clear that sometimes our parents don't always give us love in the form we need.

This book is comfort and tension and complex and truth and love and hope all rolled into one and I cannot recommend it enough.

Thank you so much to Penguin Random House for giving me the opportunity to read this ARC, you've have made my year and given me a new favourite book all at once.

How is it that every time Emily Henry brings a new book out into the world, I end up loving it more than the previous one (which I always think is impossible)?
Happy Place is a second-chance romance masterpiece. One that will hit you in the feels right from the beginning. Harriet and Wyn have broken up six months and find themselves at their yearly getaway with their best friends, having to pretend to still be together as they have not announced their break-up to anyone. Except, they're not over each other.
There are many layers to who Harriet and Wyn are, and consequently to their relationship. This is shown through the time-jumps between now and the different stages from the time they meet up to the present. And it is a lovely journey, with ups and downs, and poignantly beautiful moments that had tears streaming down my face.
Wyn is so intricately woven into Harriet, that the lack of his pov is not noticeable. Not even a little! I didn't even realise it until a friend pointed it out. Brilliant work by Emily Henry 👏🏼
And the smart, witty banter? Signature Emily Henry. The best friends - Sabrina, Parth, Cleo, Kimmy - all bring their own into the story.
You thought you loved Henry's leading men from her previous books? Brace yourselves because you're not ready for Wyndham Connor.
I know I've said it before about Henry's books, but Happy Place is not only a story, it's an ✨️ experience ✨️. It is outstanding artwork. All the stars for this book. All of them. One of my top 3 reads of 2022, and one of the other two is Book Lovers.

Thank you to Penguin Books UK and the author for the ARC via Netgalley UK. All opinions are my own.

I quite literally squealed when this hit my inbox, best surprise ever! This book was filled with all the usual warm fuzzies and giggles I've come to expect, and so much more emotional depth. It explored love on so many different levels; how our past experiences bring emotional scars into both relationships and friendships, how this has a consequence so much later in life. The love story was as always beautifully developed and most importantly perfectly paced, unwrapping deliciously slowly intersected with flashbacks of the past. Another fast favourite, can't wait for the next one! Welcome to the Emily Henry Universe Wyn and Harriet ❤️

*Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

Firstly, I want to say thank you ,thank you ,thank you.Thank you for sharing this masterpiece early with me.I will forever be grateful .

I have no words to describe how much I adored this book. I am forever ruined for all the other authors and other books.Past,present and future. To be honest I feel whatever I say would not be enough .Words can’t do this book justice and could not describe the emotions I have experienced while reading . One needs to experience this on their own as it is an emotionally charged journey. I can’t wait for everyone to experience the roller coaster of emotions that this book takes you on. Absolute perfection . Already preordered the physical copy. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone and would rate it infinite stars if I could.

I am simply convinced that Emily Henry is incapable of writing a single bad book. Happy place is definitely one of the best romance books I've ever read and it will always have a special place in my heart. I loved how it wasn't all about romantic love but also about friendship and how hard it can be to maintain your friendships when u grow up and all go your separate ways. Wyn and Harriet are truly the loves of my life. This book made me cry and smile so much and the ending was just amazing. I adored every single page of it and can't wait for it to come out so everyone can read it and love it too.

I genuinely didn't think I could love an Emily Henry book more than Book Lovers, but surprise surprise I did. This was delicious. Harriet and Wyn are dreamy, the most gorgeous characters and even the friend group as secondary characters were better than some books main characters. It's cute, and romantic and funny and I just loooooved every second of it. SO SO good.

It is currently 01:29am and I have quite literally JUST finished this book and I couldn’t wait a second longer to write about how much I LOVED IT. As someone who doesn’t usually read many second chance romances, I wasn’t sure of what to expect, or how much I’d enjoy the trope, but realistically if it was written by Emily Henry I was guaranteed to fall in love with it. As a couple, Harriet and Wyn captured my heart from the very first flashback, and they definitely still have a pretty firm grasp on it while I sit writing this, fresh out of tears.

I didn’t expect to relate to this book so much, as a twenty-something, freshly graduated and moved to a new city to pursue the career I want, the feeling that you’re slowly slipping away from the people you know are your life-long friends, if not already family, is something that eats away at you, just as it does for Sabrina, Cleo and Harriet throughout the book. No matter what, the love will always be there, and the love of family and friends was portrayed so beautifully in this book I think my heart almost burst on multiple occasions.

All in all, I am absolutely in love with this book, the characters, the writing, all of it, and to finish, this is the start of my campaign for Wyn to be voted book boyfriend of the year 2023.

Getting this advanced copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review made my day!
At this point in time, Emily Henry can do no wrong, I loved everything I read by her and this one is no exception.
Harriet and Wynn broke up 6 months ago, but they haven't told anyone, especially not their closest friends. And now, they don't want to ruin their annual vacation with their best friends, so they decide to pretend they're still together.
There are unspoken truths between them and feelings they are trying to ignore.
I loved the friends relationships and the found family aspect of this story. I wished I was among this group of people, soaking up the coastal air.
I appreciated both Harriet and Wynn's individual journey to find their own internal happiness and their journey as a couple.
This story made me emotional, it made me laugh and cry, it made me happy. I absolutely loved it.

first of all I AM SO GRATEFUL TO HAVE READ THIS EARLY. THANK YOU TO EMILY HENRY + TEAM AT PENGUIN FOR THIS.

i am going to be bold and argue that this is emily henry's best book to DATE. it was absolutely stunning and i literally did not put it down from the moment i started reading it. the characters were so insanely well written, and so VIVID? harriet was so relatable and loveable that i cried for her so many times. i just wanted to reach through the book and give her a massive hug because so much of what she was going through and how she coped with the things in her life were exactly the same for me. her relationship with her friends warmed my heart so much and literally made me YEARN for a group of friends who love and support each other like this. massive shout out to sabrina for being an absolute icon, i was so obsessed with her.

WYN!!! WYNNNN !!! ): WYN <3. i loved wyn so much. so so much. i literally closed the book and immediately decided that yes, he is what i want. i have never read such a sensitive, beautiful, GENTLE man in all my life i literally weeped for him. and HIM AND HARRIET. THE DEFINITION OF SOULMATES. from the moment they were in the room together i immediately needed them to be together. like the YEARNING WAS INSANE. i would get emotional from the love i could feel that they had for each other. and namely in the little things. and that is testament to what an absolutely fantastic writer emily henry is. nobody writes romance like she does. the way her books make you feel is unlike anything i can explain.

the themes of friendship and growth within friendship was done so well, and in such a way that felt so relatable to someone coming out of university and feeling uncertain on how to maintain relationships. i thought a really fantastically done part were the conversations around conflict and how our family really teaches us how to deal with arguments (i admit, i am a harriet when it comes to this. and i need a wyn in my life like her). the found family dynamic of this book was gorgeous and i didn't expect to love absolutely everyone, and root for them all too.

i really thought book lovers was going to be my favourite romance book of this year, but no. it is this. by a mile. i love it so much and it's for sure a book i know i will come back to again and again. there were so many hard hitting quotes that i literally gasped at reading. emily henry you are wonderful. and this book is perfect.

A love story that will be deeply and uniquely personal to each reader, instigating an interesting and timely debate about escapism, happiness, and what it means to live our best lives.

In just a few years, Emily Henry has become one of the most influential romance writers we have ever seen. Her success has a lot of factors, one of them being, of course, her superb writing skills. But, her books always have that something extra. What makes them stand out is usually a combination of relatability, a complex cast of characters and/or locations that bring her story to life, and a promise of well-developed storylines.

Happy place is her debut in a trope that can be very tricky - a second-chance romance. The beauty of this trope is that it is not about a couple falling in love, but rediscovering a love that was lost. It’s usually complicated and messy and full of angst and longing.

And the romance is indeed spectacular. We meet Harriet and Wyn, and are taken on a journey that crisscrosses from their first meeting to their first years of dating, then living together and getting engaged, to the ultimate fallout of their relationship. All while moving backward and forward to the present time, where they share a bedroom together in a friend’s cottage and pretend to still be together.

And although this is very much their story, it also about growing up, about understanding that dreams change, that plans are interchangeable, that you can grow apart from people you love, that it’s difficult to live up to expectations, that is painful to find yourself and to please people as you understand more and more about yourself.

Happy place is raw. A book millennials will definitely see themselves in, but that can also reach across generations, tugging at a space we all carry in our hearts.

To summarize, if you are a romance fan, do not miss this book. But also, if you are a fan of refreshing, well-plotted, hilarious, and authentic stories, this will be the book for you.

Expect to see a lot more about Happy Place in the media, and making top charts on all sorts of lists.

Emily, keep at it. I can’t wait to see what you will bring into the world next.

I wish I could just write 'this book was EVERYTHING'.

Honestly though, I could not put it down. I stayed up until 1am so I could read it in a day and then I ended up laying in bed sobbing towards the end.

Harriet and Wyn are exes, forced into an impossible situation when an annual trip with friends turns into a nightmare.... because no one knows they've broken up. The book is told from various different points in time, from when Harriet and Wyn met, to later in their relationship and also to the trip they are on.

I loved getting to know all of the characters, and not just Harriet and Wyn. They all really add something to the story, fleshing out what's around the broken relationship.

There was SO much tension and sexual chemistry between Harriet and Wyn and I could not get enough of it. It's funny, tense and so incredible hot, all at the same time.

Happy Place needs to be on your pre-order list!