Rise of the Firebird

Pub Date 21 Mar 2023 | Archive Date 02 Mar 2023

Talking about this book? Use #RiseoftheFirebird #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Traveling from the battlefields of Skazki to the Underworld of Tuonela, Anya and her companions encounter the vicious dark goddess Louhi and gain two magicians, the mad hero Kullervo and Eldon Blaise--apprentice of Merlin himself.

As devastating secrets of history and the heart are revealed, Anya must fight the darkness within herself and rise up to be a symbol for the Neutral rebel army that rallies under the banner of the firebird. Ready to restore the balance at any price, the final battle of the three armies will shape the worlds forever in this exciting finale of the Firebird Faerie Tales series.

Filled with unforgettable characters, adventure, and mythology pulled deep from Russian and Finnish folklore, this richly imaginative fantasy series by bestselling author Amy Kuivalainen dives deep into the world of magic, pitting those who would abuse it against those sworn to protect it.

A Note From the Publisher

Available in the following formats: Hardcover: 978-1-64397-334-0 | Softcover: 978-1-64397-335-7 | Ebook:.978-1-64397-336-4 | LCCN: 2022941269 | Print distribution through Ingram, Gardners, and Baker & Taylor | Ebook library distribution through Overdrive, Hoopla, and Baker & Taylor.

Advance Praise

For book one: Cry of the Firebird

“Kuivalainen skillfully blends Russian and Finnish folklore into a delightfully whimsical urban fantasy [and] breathes fresh life into fairy tale characters like Baba Yaga, and fantasy staples like wizards and dragons. With its masterful combination of richly detailed scene setting, humor, romance, quirky characters, and supernatural conflict, this is a story to be relished.” Publishers Weekly

“Ahhh I want more!! This is definitely going to be an epic series!” —LibraryThing Early Reviewers

For book two: Ashes of the Firebird

“A stunning blend of Russian mythology and fantasy, Ashes of the Firebird is a character-focused tale that takes you on an incredible adventure.” —The San Francisco Book Review

“Kuivalainen continues to be one of the best voices in fantasy, period, if not the best amongst her contemporaries. Truly,” —The Bibliophile Blonde

For book one: Cry of the Firebird

Marketing Plan

• Indie Next List (March) Nomination
  • Library Reads (March) Nomination
  • National Review Coverage
  • Prepublication Buzz Campaign
  • Extensive marketing to Booksellers, Librarians, and Book Influencers, including digital ARC campaign
  • Digital ARCs Offered on NetGalley & LibraryThing
  • Targeted Consumer Email Marketing
  • Extensive Social Media Promotion

Key Selling Points:

• Filled with obscure Russian and Finnish folklore, readers will love this richly imaginative fantasy world filled with unforgettable characters, romance, and supernatural adventure.
  • Fans of Sarah J. Maas, Leigh Bardugo and Neil Gaiman will find a new favorite author to love with Amy Kuivalainen.
  • Bestselling author Amy Kuivalainen’s popularity continues to grow with the ongoing success of her Magicians of Venice series, as well as the previous novels in the Firebird Faerie Tales series.
  • Indie Next List (March) Nomination
  • Library Reads (March) Nomination
  • National Review Coverage
  • Prepublication Buzz Campaign
  • Extensive marketing to Booksellers, Librarians, and Book Influencers...

EDITION Hardcover
PAGES 380

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

this was a beautifully done book with Russian mythology and it did what I was hoping for. The characters did everything that I was hoping for from the description. The story does a great job in telling the story that it wanted to tell and I'm glad I read this. Amy Kuivalainen has a great writing style and I've read books by her from the Magicians of Venice series. I look forward to reading more from Ms. Kuivalainen.

"Ladislav was spotted a few weeks ago, and now with Anya being in their city, the council fears she’s going to bring the wrath of light and dark on their heads. She needs to leave as soon as she can. Scared people can be stupid, but scared supernaturals are plain dangerous.”

This series has EVERYTHING I could ever want. Amazing characters, multiple revenge plots, stunning world building, an intricate magic system, the sweetest male characters, a magical quest, and one of the most beautiful combinations of mythology and folklore… I’ve ever read. Honestly, I’ve never experienced such a stunning combination of Finnish, Russian, Greek, and Native American, myth and lore! These different cultures, might not sound like they can be woven together, but Kuivalainen does it… and she does it beautifully. You can feel how much research, and passion has gone into this series. Every element compliments one another, and the plot twists & reveals had me guessing the entire time.

I will warn you, the first two books end on intense cliffhangers. There’s also quite a bit of heartbreak and emotional turmoil, but I swear it’s worth it in the end.

My only criticism might be the multiple love interests, and almost love triangles. I understand these helped create the plot, and introduced most of my favorite characters! But I’m a loyal girl, and had my eyes set on “the end game” character from the beginning ( IYKYK.) So really, it’s just a personal preference.

The end of this trilogy was extremely bittersweet and has left my heart aching. I’ve grown to adore these characters, and would love a spin-off.

Thank you to Amy Kuivalainen and BHC Press for the opportunity to read this ARC, from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

Loved this book and this series as a whole. I couldn’t read this fast enough and I’m so sad it’s over. The characters, the plot, the magic, and the fight between good and evil all make this a binge-worthy series. Cannot recommend enough.