Weyward

Pub Date 02 Feb 2023 | Archive Date 31 Jan 2023

Talking about this book? Use #Weyward #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

UNLEASH 2023’S BIGGEST DEBUT

*One of Cosmopolitan's Best Books for 2023
*As seen on BookTok
*‘A generational tale of female resilience’ GUARDIAN
*‘A much-heralded epic’ OBSERVER

_________________________________________________________________________________

’Alive, vivid and gripping’ ABIGAIL DEAN
‘Humming with a sly, exhilarating magic’ BRIDGET COLLINS
‘Totally unique’ GILLIAN MCALLISTER

KATE, 2019
Kate flees London – abandoning everything – for Cumbria and Weyward Cottage, inherited from her great-aunt. There, a secret lurks in the bones of the house, hidden ever since the witch-hunts of the 17th century.

VIOLET, 1942
Violet is more interested in collecting insects and climbing trees than in becoming a proper young lady. Until a chain of shocking events changes her life forever.

ALTHA, 1619
Altha is on trial for witchcraft, accused of killing a local man. Known for her uncanny connection with nature and animals, she is a threat that must be eliminated.

But Weyward women belong to the wild. And they cannot be tamed…

Weaving together the stories of three women across five centuries, Weyward is an enthralling novel of female resilience and the transformative power of the natural world.

WEYWARD is bewitching early readers:
‘A story that absolutely lives up to its promise' ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
'I didn't want to put it down. I loved every character' ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
‘Phenomenal… I devoured this book’ ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
‘Haunting, compelling, just sensational. Definitely one of the books of 2023’ ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
‘The Weyward women have captured my heart’⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

UNLEASH 2023’S BIGGEST DEBUT

*One of Cosmopolitan's Best Books for 2023
*As seen on BookTok
*‘A generational tale of female...

PRICE £13.99 (GBP)

I just loved the blurb on this book and knew I had to read it. And I am glad I did as I truly enjoyed it.

This is the story of three Weyward women, strong and courageous but had to struggle through tough times, each in a different period/era. This is a story told in three parts by three different women in three different times periods but their stories are the same and they all overlap each other.

I loved the depth of this book and the characters in it. Staring with Altha in 1619 and continuing on with Violet in 1942 and finally Kate in 2019. These women all related and all struggling with the same overall problem yet having the special power to do something about it.

This is a great book of historical fiction yet is relevant today as well in some sense. There is the mention of witches, magic, special powers yet it is real in its telling and blends well to make a complete story.

I really enjoyed this and my only complaint was that at first I had to differentiate between the characters and got confused but it all came together quickly and I found my way (as did the women in this book). Great read and highly recommend.

Weyward by Emilia Hart

Weyward is an incredible book, an intergenerational story where we follow Altha in 1619, Violet in 1942 and Kate in 2019. The stories of each woman are told in three separate timelines, but the weaving of their stories is done in a beautiful way. Weyward tells a story of determination, female empowerment, self worth and discovery, in a unique way.

I didn't really know what to expect going into this, but overall it is a powerful and very impressive debut. The three points of view are all written very well. They all had very gripping stories, and my attention was held captive as I continued into the book. I will admit, I nearly put it down after reading several small instances of animal abuse early on, however I'm glad I pushed through because this book is truly unique.

The combination of historical fiction, women's fiction and magical realism was something different, but the genres blended seamlessly, much like the rest of the novel.

Overall, a beautifully written debut with captivating characters and a storyline you can lose yourself in. Highly recommend.