Explore the Secrets of Old Time Witchcraft
by Rebecca Beyer
This title was previously available on NetGalley and is now archived.
Send NetGalley books directly to your Kindle or Kindle app
To read on a Kindle or Kindle app, please add email@example.com as an approved email address to receive files in your Amazon account. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
Also find your Kindle email address within your Amazon account, and enter it here.
Pub Date 21 Feb 2023 | Archive Date 14 Feb 2023
Quarto Publishing Group – Wellfleet Press, Wellfleet Press
Discover the wisdom and magic of Appalachia through Mountain Magic, an illustrated guide to the occult power of the hills and hollows.
The people of Appalachia and the American backwoods have a long and deep magical tradition, one rooted in the power of place, land, and nature. With a creativity and ingenuity born of necessity, Appalachian witches built and sustained a wealth of magical knowledge drawn from European, Native American, and African American folk magic. Guided by expert witch and forager Rebecca Beyer, you can explore the wisdom of this powerful place:
- Learn medical and magical uses for common plants and herbs
- Meet the traditional magical practitioners of Appalachia, from Blood Stoppers to Water Witches
- Delve into a wealth of charms and curses, from witchballs to love workings
- Follow the lore of the stars and seasons to grow and thrive
Some of the magic and culture you will encounter in this enchanted guide include:
- Magical lore surrounding the weather, seasons, and the movements of the moon and stars
- Recipes for a tonic salad to move the blood in springtime and a cleansing spicebush tea
- Profiles of the medicinal and magical properties of some essential mountain plants, including ginseng, blackberry, poke, sassafras, and mullein
- Charms to protect from evil, including witch bottles, a holly twig charm, and the SATOR ROTAS square
With this beautifully illustrated guide, you can bring the wisdom and magic of the backwoods to meet the challenges of modern life, building a magical practice that’s fueled by ancestral traditions and the nourishing power of the natural world.
The Modern Folk Magic series offers accessible and engaging introductions to folk magical traditions from a fresh, modern perspective. Linking the current enthusiasm for magical practice back to the deeply rooted magical traditions in the United States and elsewhere, the titles in this series give depth and cultural meaning to the practice of witchcraft. These beautiful books serve as hands-on guides for learning and practicing folk magic, from authors who are experts in these traditions. Check out the other books in the series including Hoodoo Magic.
Available on NetGalley
Average rating from 79 members
Readers who liked this book also liked:
C L Werner
Frank J. Sileo; Christopher Willard
Geoffrey S. Smith; Brent C. Landau
Emily L. Glaser, RN, C.Ay
Ken Petersen; Randy Petersen