Fight Tub

Narrated by Connor Brannigan

Pub Date 30 Sep 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #DoomFiction #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

EDITION Audiobook, Unabridged
ISBN 9781960190055
DURATION 2 Hours, 44 Minutes

NetGalley Shelf App (AUDIO)

What can I say about a book about a man that becomes his bathroom? It was weird, bizarre, and much better than I was anticipating. The narrator was great.

Fight Tub was an extremely pleasant surprise. With the only description being a man who turns into a bathroom I didn’t know what to expect. All I knew was it was from the mind of William Pauley III so I had hope.

This is the fourth book in the Bedlam Bible series. The series follows residents of the Eight Block Tower. An apartment building where crazy events keep happening. So far none crazier than someone turning into a bathroom.

In this story, there are actually a lot of great characters and character development. You don’t expect to like anyone who is turning into a bathroom. You don’t expect to laugh when a toilet flusher is in someone’s ear. You don’t expect any of this but it all comes together great.

William Pauley III has a mind that thinks of the craziest things and puts them in a way that you can relate to and understand. It’s an absolute gift. This was my fifth book by Pauley. This book sealed the deal for me. If he can get me engaged in a story about someone turning into a bathroom, I will read anything they put out.

ARC audiobook provided in exchange for an honest review.

Holy shit! This has to be my favorite book of the Bedlam Bible yet! The narration was amazing as always, it’s hard to believe Connor Brannigan does all the voices himself! The story had my literally laughing out loud at points! As a die hard Fight club book fan, this really hit home for me! Carl was an absolute riot! I would definitely recommend to anyone, regardless of what your typical genre is, I’ll definitely be purchasing a copy for my daughter of the finished series!

I had a feeling this would be a bit of a ridiculous story, but I was surprised at how much I actually enjoyed it. (The narrator was great too!) It reminded me of Kafka’s Metamorphosis, which I also enjoyed years ago. A very unique story about a man, and his colleagues, turning into objects. I’m still confused at how everyone seemed to take these changes so lightly… A very quick and fun read!

What else can I say but wow! This was a very different story than what I’m used to reading. Very creative. Interesting, but very odd! I can definitely say I really enjoyed this mind twisting story.

Right now, every time I see a new book of this author I really want to read it, that's how fun it is, I didn’t know what I was diving myself into but I knew the ride would be worthwhile even more with Connor Brannigan bringing the story to life with his reading.

So immediately when I read the name of the book, I related the name fight tub to fight club, and I wasn't alone on that, there’s a character in here that also brings that to light and he really wants a piece hahah, you know what, this story is really weird (in a very amusing way) but unlikely the other stories in the bedlam bible series (as far as I have read) I really think this one ends with a happy ending hahah. Like always I know I cant give too many details or that will give the story away, this one if funny, weird, with a love story haha, very worth of our time, this one is absolutely my favourite so far.

It is a short read, but with Connor Brannigan reading is a very satisfactory story to listen to, I highly recommend it.

Thank you NetGalley and Doom Fiction Audio for the free AAC and this is my honest opinion.

This was such a ridiculous and hilarious read. I loved the writing style and creativity of the story. Maybe don’t read/listen to while taking a bath ;)

This was so good!! To be honest, the first 2/3 were perfection, didn't totally love the end so much. Some of the social commentary was a little clunky / on the nose but it was so weird, funny, well-written, well-narrated. Thank you so much!

An extremely well-written (and well-narrated) Kafkaesque book about a man who becomes his bathroom. I expected the absurdity but never imagined I'd enjoy William Pauley III's latest story so much.

How was there so much character development in a 2.5-hour audiobook? And how did I find a book about a man with a toilet flusher for an ear so thought-provoking??

Excuse me while I read every other book in the Bedlam Bible series.

Well that was a lot more entertaining than I anticipated based on the quick one-liner of a description. I sort of imagine if Aggretsuko and Metamorphosis had a baby, it might read a little bit like this novella. You know immediately when you jump into this story that you're going to suspend your disbelief and be okay with some weird stuff, and I don't really feel like this disappointed. If you're in for a quick and rather unbelievable ride, then climb on in, 'cause this one's for you!

The narration by Connor Brannigan helped to really tie me into the past Bedlam Bible titles, which if this is your first (and you liked it), check out the rest of them. I think this one might be my fave so far.

Thanks to Doom Fiction Audio via NetGalley for providing this ARC audiobook. You're really rocking my socks off over here!

I received an arc audiobook in exchange for an honest review!!

I loved this book, it was funny, thought provoking, and a super fun read. It is definitely bizarre so it’s not going to be the book for everybody. I didn’t think I would like this book as much as I did. I definitely recommend the audiobook, the narrator really helped bring the story to life!

Well this was pretty weird unless you think having a flushing ear and chrome pipes on your body is normal. I think the narrator really made the story for me. But the writing was well done and oh so clever. It’s the fourth in The Bedlam Bible series.
This is the account of a man whose bathroom begins breathing, and the beginning of the man becoming his bathroom, and I do mean literally.
Short and well worth the listen if you’re up for humor snd satire.

Another VERY weird and wonderful tale from the Bedlam Bible series. William Pauley III really has a fantastic way of capturing the unnerving feeling of waking from a strange and frightening dream. The tale is rich with poetic descriptors and surrealist ideas.

The protagonist lives in an apartment block attached to his place of work, whilst feeling unwell he begins to believe the apartment is a living breathing being and soon after falls asleep. When he awakes he realises his eye has been replaced by a metal orb, as time passes more and more pieces of him begin mutating into bathroom fixtures and not just at home at work too. Is the world slowly consuming him?

I enjoy the parallels between the nightmare like nature of the horror elements within the plot, intermingled with the dystopia of late stage capitalism.

I’m not sure what else to say about the narrator Connor Brannigan, except that this is the 4th book I have heard narrated by him and he is always fantastic. He has a wide range of character voices and his style really suits this genre perfectly.

When a man wakes up and realizes he has become his bathroom what he does to cover it up only causes him more problems. He works for Mr. Kim and when he goes in he disguises the bolts in porcelain with gauze and an oversized funeral suit but this only causes office rumors to fly. It doesn’t help that Carl is certain he’s in a fight club and wants to get him in as well it gets even worse when the jerk of the office Rodney says he has a disease and is spreading it to the other coworkers and Mr. Kim cannot have that at all! But the man who has become his tub has all the worries as well hey girl he really likes and has been friends with for a long time has recently told him she cares for him too. Will this change things… Does she want to date a bathroom man? Eventually Mr. Kim tells him he hast to leave and he cannot come back until he sees a doctor which is a catch 22 because Mr. Kim doesn’t offer health insurance nor does Hubby😍 make enough to pay for the doctor Eventually Mr. Kim tells him he hast to leave and he cannot come back until he sees a doctor which is a catch 22 because Mr. Kim doesn’t offer health insurance nor does Hubby😍 make enough to pay for the doctor so he’s damned if he does in the damned if he doesn’t. This book isn’t that long only two hours and so I don’t want to give much away but I want to say I love the bedlam Bible stories and this one just adds to the already great stories I’ve heard from this collection. I love William Pauley threes books and especially the audios narrated by Connor Branigan who has a perfect voice for these stories and does such a great job. I highly recommend Fight Tub it is weird, strange and oh so good this man has such a outrageous imagination. I received this book from NetGalley and doomsday press but I am leaving this review voluntarily please forgive any mistakes as I am blind and dictate my review.

The story of a man who became his bathroom.

This was so fun, loved the story it was such a unique concept!
Also loved the writing style and narration as always. I especially liked Carl, he was so funny with his obsession with fight club.

Thank you to @netgalley and the publisher for an AudioARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Thanks to Mr. Pauley and Net Galley for the ARC. This was a surprising bag of fun. The love letter to Fight Club is obvious, but it is the nod to Kafka that I particularly enjoy. Pauley could have gone the easy road and made this a farce, but he didn’t. This is a fantastic work of social satire. I had no idea this was part of a series, and while I feel as though reading them out of order didn’t ruin my enjoyment of this book, I am going to go back to the first book and read the rest in order

Thank you NetGalley and doom Fiction Audio for sending this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

This was a fun, entertaining listen! The title intrigued me and I’m glad I took the chance. It’s not a typical “funny” book but instead is a deadpan style humor as a satire of horror. Obviously it would be terrifying to suddenly start sprouting plumbing but at the same time the idea of that as a horror story is pretty ridiculous. The narrator has a great voice and is pleasant to listen to. A great audiobook choice!

A book about a man turning into a bathroom? I wasn't sure what I was getting into, but this book was hilarious! The different voices used by the narrator, Connor, made the book more enjoyable. The only disappointing part of the book was the end. It was laugh out loud funny and a very unique story of one man's journey through transforming into a bathroom - new pandemic, who knows!?

I liked this a lot! I'm rounding it up but more accurately, I would say it's on the cusp between three and four stars. Better than average reading experience, unique concept, engaging narrator. This is like if David Cronenberg directed a contemporary reimagining of Franz Kafka’s “Metamorphosis.” An absurdist take on American capitalism and corporate work culture where our protagonist worries more about incurring healthcare costs than the changing landscape of his body.

The development of the primary relationship was rushed but considering the surrealist nature of their eventual coupling I can forgive that. If a text is going to have a heterosexual relationship in the middle of its narrative for no reason it might as well end in romantic body horror. Despite the horrifying nature of its subject, the text is largely absent of grotesque imagery. Although not for the faintest of hearts, the descriptions feel largely clinical (like a list of medical symptoms) and almost whimsical. More Sayaka Murata than Lucy Snyder.

Karl was hilarious. His obsession with “Fight Club” is an accurate portrayal of guys who look past the satirical overtones of both the novel and film, seeing the story as more of an instructional manual than a harsh take-down.

Funny, weird, scary(?). The perfect combination for me. I will be reading more from this author, specifically from this series because of my positive experience with this novella.

I hate that I have waited this long to read William Pauley III, but I'm so glad I finally did! I was huge fan of the movie and book "Fight Club" growing up, but I wasn't really sure what I was getting into when I started reading this. This was, hands down, the strangest book I have read in the past couple of years, but it was SO MUCH FUN!

Thank you Netgalley and the publishers for sending and allowing me to read this book.
This was such a short audiobook I got to enjoy it. The other books this author has written are great so I didn't judge this book for a second,

How different and awesome was this? Really liked this, it was fast but very entertaining to listen.
Highly recommend and will go back to others books from this author.
Thanks for the opportunity to access this advance copy.

Fight Tub by William Pauley III is bizarre, weird, and freaking brilliant! I loved it and actually laughed out loud at certain parts. Read it immediately!

I received a review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley for my honest review. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.

In my opinion, Pauley's best book yet as one man, who works in an office within Eighth Block, where he also lives, starts to turn into a bathroom - sprouting taps and flush handles and pipes. Sadly, his company healthcare doesn't cover this and he has to seek medical help elsewhere.
This is a Will Self-like tale of infection, office life and the "them and us" culture. The narration is really excellent here.
Pauley makes this truly weird story rattle along apace without the absurdity really being called out. as the protagonist (who isn't in a Fight Club, by the way) creeps gradually toward being completely a bathroom. *Insert a joke about plumbing the depths or becoming flushed.*

Thank you to NetGalley and Doom Fiction Audio for the ARC audiobook provided in exchange for an honest review.

This review probably contains strong language.

I’m not totally sure what I was expected when I decided to dive into a book whose entire description was “The story of a man who became his bathroom.” It certainly was not the silly little sci fi piece I guessed it would be. This was a shockingly relatable, poignant read (yes I mean that), and I will absolutely be reading the rest of the series.

If you read and enjoyed 'I Am Not a Wolf' or 'Rampaging Fuckers of Everything…' you’re going to like this.
Audiobook narration was 5/5.

Fast paced, very bizarre and pretty funny. This short story was great and I’ll probably try more books of the author.

Taking it's title quite seriously, this novel is a bizarre (in classic William Pauley III style) riff off Fight Club and ... well, without spoilers, bathtubs. I cannot explain to you how I genuinely had to stop walking while listening to the audiobook to process what I was listening to!

Absolutely ridiculous and bizarre and downright stupid in the best way. I did lose track a bit during the plot which is why my rating is a bit lower but I had to upgrade it for the sheer originality of this! The narrator once again did a great job of showcasing the tones set in each of the scenes perfectly - the best way to enjoy these.

<i>I was provided with a complimentary copy of this audiobook by Doom Fiction via NetGalley in exchange for an honest and unbiased review, which I provide voluntarily.</i>

I knew this book was going to be odd, and it progressively kept getting weirder- I loved every second of it!

Karl is one of the funniest characters I have read in a while. His Fight Club theory was absolutely hilarious. No, Karl, he’s not in a fight club lolol.

Who would’ve thought the story of a man who became his bathroom would be so beautifully written too? The emotional prose was top tier! And it was refreshing for such a randomly bizarre story.

I think the moral of the story is how the corporate world shits on employees, and if so, I think it was executed in the oddest-most entertaining way.

Not sure what I expected with this read but I think I grew to like the weirdness of this book. Everything is just very very bizarre and I’m not sure if there really was an explanation as to what was happening. Honestly, the idea of a person slowly turning in a bathroom is wild. I did find this funny, especially when Carl the coworker assumed the main character was in some type of Fight Club. Overall, this was a light fun read -- good if you’re looking for something quick and on the weirder side of books.

Thanks NetGalley and Doom Fiction for my arc!

I received the audio book version of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Please have a look for the blurb of the book elsewhere as here are my thoughts and opinions only. Thank you.

The title of the book immediately pulled me in, I was about to start deep cleaning the house and I was looking for something short to listen. I’m so freaking glad I picked this up as the story is so bizarre and funny that help me scrub, polish and declutter at least 2 bathrooms.

Fantastic story telling by the author, who I haven’t read before. I particularly love the constant mention of the Fight club film rather than the book as I haven’t read that one yet. I didn’t see much of the horror of the book, as I guess I’ve read mostly the classic horror not much on the modern side of things.

Some scenes felt narrated in a graphic novel style, kind os short sentences and snappy, but it really helped creating a fast paced and agile read.

The audio version got a little tired some as I didn’t love the voice, but that’s absolutely a personal choice, it doesn’t affect much of the content, but it took me a couple of days to finish it, though I’m sure I would’ve done it faster if the narrator had a more appealing voice.

Highly recommend. Looking forward to reading more of this author.