Hands-On Science: Motion

Pub Date 27 Feb 2024 | Archive Date 27 Feb 2024

Talking about this book? Use #HandsOnScienceMotion #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Press Here meets Bill Nye the Science Guy in this interactive STEM picture book about forces and motion.

Welcome to the physics lab! In this picture book, young scientists use their imagination to bring experiements to life. They poke whipped cream in the illustrations, tilt the book to roll a ball down a ramp, and slide beanbags to test friction. After predicting what will happen next, eager readers turn the page to see the results.

Educator and author Lola M. Schaefer draws on her years in the classroom to make science fun and accessible. Back matter encourages kids to notice the pushes and pulls all around them and includes a simple physics experiment.

PAGES 40

Send to Kindle (PDF)

This is an excellent book! The illustrations were well done, the writing engaging and the idea adorable. It is interactive and fun as well as being educational. It's clearly a science book for children, but it doesn't feel overtly scientific.

I will be purchasing this book for my library's collection and incorporating it into my STEM story time. I'm excited to see what other titles are planned for this series.

I can't help but be excited about this gem. Lola M. Schaefer's clever approach to making science engaging is remarkable. Kids will love poking whipped cream in the illustrations, tilting the book to roll a ball down a ramp, and testing friction with beanbags. This isn't your typical scientific read; it's fun, educational, and brilliantly interactive. I'm thrilled to add "Hands-on Science: Motion" to my library collection and can't wait to see young readers predicting and experimenting with it. Thanks, NetGalley and the publisher, for the opportunity to review this advanced review copy (ARC) in exchange for my honest review on the book

I really enjoyed the interactive nature of this book, and the illustrations were colorful. This would be perfect for a Common Core Kindergarten science unit on forces of nature, and studying "push" and "pull". I highly enjoyed Lola Schaefer's geology book that was also interactive, and will be purchasing these for my library.

This is a cute and simple little book that would be great to read with young children who are eager to learn about things they can see - if things fall down or not (if they are stuck to something or not), if they slide down a ramp quickly or slowly, etc. The text is simple and short enough that it will keep a young child's attention.

I love the book! It is a great way for kids to understand motion. I didn’t feel the effect from it being an e-book but I think this is better and meant to be a physical copy experience.

Thank you, Charlesbridge, for the advance reading copy.

The book is so much fun to read! The book itself is the most fun activity as you will find yourself learning while reading turning the book upside down and such (you will know when and how to when you start reading it with the kids!) as the book explains well about friction and motion in the most basic ways kids this age group will know.

The illustrations say it all!

Hands-On Science: Motion
by Lola M. Schaefer is a great book that starts kids out learning not just motion but the scientific method. The hands-on part is key. We want more!

We LOVED this book. It was such a great introduction to force: push/pull, objects in motion, etc. We always enjoy interactive books.

As a science teacher, I’m a little partial to this book. It was a cute way to intro scientific concepts to a younger audience.