The Daily Family Conversation Starter

365 Ways to Nurture Connection, Inspire Play, and Empower Your Kids

Pub Date 07 May 2024 | Archive Date 21 May 2024

Talking about this book? Use #TheDailyFamilyConversationStarter #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Your stronger family connection starts here with just 5 minutes of conversation each day. The Daily Family Conversation Starter contains 365 easy and imaginative ways to check in with your kids, develop their growth mindset, and get both serious and silly—together! Every interactive activity and open-ended conversation prompt will help you build the family bond you've always dreamed of.

Prompts like these will get your family talking—and you may find it hard to get them to stop!

Who made you laugh today?

What would you do if you had a tail?

Why do you think it's important to try new things, even if it means you get knocked down?

In addition to engaging conversation starters, you'll find inside:

• Easy activities for working together
  • Fill-in-the-blank questions that everyone can answer
  • Spontaneous games that infuse whimsy into your family's daily routine
  • Mini essays to help your family discuss difficult topics or new concepts

Whether commuting together, sitting at the dinner table, or preparing for bedtime, The Daily Family Conversation Starter invites you to share, discover, and laugh together as you create family memories that last a lifetime.

EDITION Paperback
PAGES 256

This book is a great way to connect with kids of all ages (at least 3 and older I’d say. Each day has a quick game or drawing activity or prompt that helps families get to know each other better and just have fun together. I liked that the intro encourages families to use it however works best for them, whether it be a few a day or once a week. I also think this would be great for a classroom too. Some of the prompts would have to be adapted since it is written for families. But that could be easily done.
(Thanks to the publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.)

This is such a good reference guide book for parents and guardians to naturally start a conversation and actually have fun with the kids. Instant learning and can be readily applicable are what these various tips and techniques provide in the amazing compilation. The presentation is fun and the reading experience will be quite enjoyable for both the parents and the young readers. Some prompts even include activities which are interactive and fun.

Go for this. It will make your day start much better when you have the first meal of the day with your kids. Amazing book!

Thank you, Harper Celebrate, for the advance reading copy.

This was a fun book to look through. My son and I did several of the prompts. He especially enjoyed the weird food prompt. It was a fun opportunity for him and I to share a few laughs. I like that these activities only require a short amount of time and involve lots of different things. I look forward to doing more of these with my son.

This is a good book to think out of the box for family conversations. I enjoyed doing some of these questions with my kids.

Thanks NetGalley for this ARC.

This is an amazing book! As someone who struggles with what to talk about and/or how to start a conversation, it's a great prompt! The only bad part is that it's not library appropriate as there is space on many pages for family members to write on it, color in it, etc. Great for giving as a gift, though!

Yes! I love these book prompts. It is such a better alternative to 'How was your day?' or 'Roses and Thorns. ' I already preordered this book for home and told a fellow school counselor about this book. Parents are always looking for a way to connect with their children, with not a lot of success. This book can make this task easier. I wonder how older children would also engage in these questions or if there could be a 'teen' version.

Thanks for sharing!

This is a great resource for connecting as a family. It's easy to make conversation with our toddler but the examples given here have been great for my teenage stepson who we usually get grunts out of. I liked that the suggestions are so varied that they don't feel so structured.

Pleasantly surprised by how dynamic this book is. I love it as a family guidebook for silly and serious conversations — basically a way to get communicating.

We have a 4.5 year old and baby and this book is fantastic for the 4.5 year old. So many great ideas for activities, jumping off points, and conversation starters. It's a great tool for parents who are trying to build connection with their kids, especially around the dinner table. Depending on the kid I could see it working well for ages 3 and up.

Thank you Netgalley for the digital advanced reader copy. I'll be buying the print version when it comes out so we can do the activities and record our answers.

This is such a practical book.
You can find ideas for starting conversations that include the whole family. No matter the age, no matter how busy you are.
The book offers a short guide for parents on how to connect with the children.
It would make a perfect gift for any occasion!

An easy-to-use family time resource. This book gives you a year’s worth of prompts that engage you and your kids on all sorts of topics, games, creative prompts, and conversation starters to connect with one another and learn a little more about one another. I will be buying this. Makes a great teacher gift for classroom use!

I absolutely adore this book! I'm a big believer in family dinners, and this is the perfect companion to those communal meals. While I personally love having solid conversations starters that can lead to something meaningful, my kids tend to prefer games like 20 Questions for more mindless dinner entertainment. "The Daily Conversation Starter" helped us meet in the middle, with an engaging mix of imaginative questions, artistic prompts, and silly games like tongue twisters that keep my kids happy, mixed in with some very purposeful reflections on family values and experiences. While I think the book would best fit families with elementary schoolers, most of the prompts are mature enough for even my teenagers to be willing to do. I was gifted an electronic copy of this book for an honest review, but I'll be pre-ordering our family a print copy to work through this year as well.

I absolutely LOVE this book! I have a 5-year-old, so some of this she isn't able to give super good answers on. We are using this at the dinner table to shake up our conversation. Sometimes my daughter gets stuck on what to tell us about school that day, so we add in a question or two from this book. It has been so fun. I would definitely recommend this one.

I received an adventure reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

The Daily Family Conversation Starter is such a useful book for any parent and family to have. Conversation doesn't always come naturally to people, including children, and this is a great book for everyone to access.
This is a helpful guide to make and have fun and memorable conversations with your children. There's different types of questions to help support you and your personality, from fun ones and silly games to more meaningful and imaginative ones. I would say you should be able to adapt most of these questions and ideas to fit the interests and ages of your children, too, once you get into using it.