The War Artist

The next captivating, historical novel from Jan Casey, based on the true story of a female war artist in World War 2

Pub Date May 09 2024 | Archive Date May 09 2024

Talking about this book? Use #TheWarArtist #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

‘Excuse me,’ the man interrupted her as if there was absolutely nothing she could say to comfort him. ‘I have to get on with my digging.’ Then he stabbed violently at her sketchbook with his finger. ‘Get it all down,’ he snarled. ‘Every single disgusting, pathetic detail. And shove it in their faces.’

London, 1940 Following a chance meeting with her former teacher, young painter Sybil Paige wins a coveted assignment from the War Artists' Advisory Committee, and so begins her journey across the length and breadth of the country, sketching everything from airfields and assembly lines to farms and factories.
Sometimes it’s milkmaids and poultry keepers, brave and hopeful; sometimes it’s the harrowed faces of those digging through the rubble to find their loved ones and livelihoods. But armed with her sketchbook, Sybil captures it all, determined to tell the stories of the thousands of women fighting their own battles on the home front. Above all, she wants the voices of her subjects to shine through.
But amidst the scenes of despair and courage, the one picture Sybil cannot paint and yet cannot purge from her brain, no matter how hard she tries, is the image of a woman folded into a chair, the crumpled telegram about her missing husband clasped in her hand. Because a self-portrait, Sybil well knows, requires the artist to find her own voice.
With each new commission, Sybil grows in confidence. But, like the many people she meets and sketches, she fears the future: will it bring hope or heartbreak?

Advance Praise

Readers love Jan Casey:

'[A] captivating, heart wrenching saga... I adamantly recommend' - 5* reader review

'A story of courage and hope' - 5* reader review

'I love this book... This book drew me in straight away and I just wanted to keep on reading until I finished it. A lovely story' - 5* reader review

'Poignant, warm, gut wrenching and hopeful, this book is just beautiful. I stayed riveted the entire time and could not put it down' - 5* reader review

'The book is full of fervor and the characters grow from beginning to end! I could not put the book down!' - 5* reader review

Readers love Jan Casey:

'A story of courage and hope' - 5* reader review

'I love this book... This book drew me...

EDITION Paperback
PRICE £9.99 (GBP)

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I was first drawn to this book by the striking blues and red of the cover, then the intriguing title. The blurb sealed the deal.

Sybil is a young artist, all alone in the world, having received a telegram that her husband missing. World War 2 is raging, affecting everyone.
Needing a means to support herself, Sybil is fortunate to win an assignment from the War Artists' Advisory Committee (WAAC) to cover the length and breadth of the country, sketching women and how their lives have been affected by the war.
She encounters brave women wherever she goes, who are just getting on with things because they have no other option. Women working at airfields, on assembly lines, repairing locomotives or farming. Whatever is needed to be done.
Sybil gives these women a voice, telling their stories through her brilliant sketches.

I absolutely adored Sybil and the other central characters she becomes close to. They became like family to me, and I was totally invested in all of them.

I read this over 2 days, unable to tear myself away. I laughed and cried along this journey. It was a history lesson like no other.
I hadn’t read any books by Jan Casey before, but I will certainly be searching for them now.

Thank you to NetGalley and Aria for the digital ARC of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

I loved this next book in this Saga by Jan Casey.
It follows the true story of a female war artist in World War 2 and is enthralling and captivating. I truly couldn't put it down.