Dead Squirrels Everywhere

A Counting Book For Children

*This page contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you.

Pub Date Sep 01 2023 | Archive Date Jun 23 2024

Talking about this book? Use #DeadSquirrelsEverywhere #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Counting to ten has never been easier for children who love the macabre! Dead Squirrels Everywhere is a fully illustrated children’s book with a slightly morbid twist. This book is perfect for teaching kids of all ages how to count to ten. Children will have so much fun; they won’t even know they are learning!

No squirrels were harmed in the making of this book.

PRICE

Send to Kindle (PDF)

This book got me at the beginning with the title. I needed to see what it was about. I also knew that my daughter would get a kick out of it. When we read it I thought it was such a twist! Not what I was expecting. My daughter made us read it twice but then she said she was scared and didn’t like dead squirrels haha.
I’d still recommend it to others.

Gabrielle Ferrara's Dead Squirrels Everywhere is a unique children's book that combines counting with a whimsically macabre theme. The illustrations are vibrant and engaging, making it a visual treat for young readers. I enjoyed reading it because it cleverly turns a potentially dark subject into something humorous and educational, making learning fun for kids.

Well, it is a counting book and you get to count dead squirrels. The book is imaginative, the pictures are great, but it is on this side of macabre. However, if this is what you are looking for and if dead squirrels are your idea of a good time, this is the book for you. I don't want to give a spoiler alert, Maybe there are not dead quirrels everywhere?

I'll be perfectly honest I requested this mostly from pure curiousness. I laughed so hard at every page of this and not because it's absurd, well it is a little, but in a good way. Maybe it's just my morbid sense of humor or the fact that happy colorful children's books are a dime a dozen, but I loved it. And I know my two boys are going to get a good kick out of it. Thank you for making a book for us parents and kids a little off the beaten path!

At the end of this book there were tears in my eyes from chortling, and a few from that very last page. I will be gifting this book to a few parental figures of my acquaintance who will appreciate it.

‘Dead Squirrels Everywhere’ by Gabrielle Ferrara is a delightfully morbid and unique children's book that breaks away from the usual tales of dragons, princesses, aliens, and mermaids. It offers a hilariously macabre counting adventure that will appeal to those with a darker sense of humour.

Plot: ★★★★★
The plot is hilariously simple and inventive, centred around counting dead squirrels. Ferrara has turned a seemingly grim subject into a humorous and engaging storyline that’s sure to captivate both children and adults who appreciate a quirky twist.

Characters: ★★★★★
The only characters in this book are the dead squirrels, and I am totally here for it!

Illustrations: ★★★★★
The illustrations are fabulous, striking a perfect balance between being morbid and humorous without being too gruesome. The artwork enhances the comedic and dark tone of the book, making it visually captivating and entertaining.

Engagement: ★★★★★
The book is perfectly engaging, thanks to its unique concept and humorous execution. The simple act of counting dead squirrels is made entertaining through clever writing and illustrations, ensuring readers are hooked from start to finish.

Readability: ★★★★★
‘Dead Squirrels Everywhere’ has excellent readability, making it a great choice for read-aloud sessions. The text is clear and rhythmic, allowing for a smooth and enjoyable reading experience that will entertain both the reader and the audience.

Enjoyment: ★★★★★
This book is wonderful, fabulous, and gorgeously morbid. While it might not be for everyone, those with a taste for dark humour will absolutely love it. It’s a refreshing departure from traditional children’s stories and offers a unique reading experience that’s both fun and memorable.

‘Dead Squirrels Everywhere’ by Gabrielle Ferrara is a highly recommended read for those who enjoy a touch of morbid humour in their children's books. Its hilarious plot, unique characters, fabulous illustrations, engaging narrative, and excellent readability make it a standout choice. This book is sure to become a favourite for anyone who appreciates its wonderfully dark and humorous take on a children’s story.

I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. I don't know if this is supposed to be for kids, or adults, because of the death parts, but I thought it was hysterical.

This book is not for everyone! But if you love dark humor, you will not be disappointed with this adorable counting book. Everybody thinks squirrels are cute, right? So it is all the more horrifying but hilarious that you can use this book to count from one to ten. The pictures are perfect, too, cute and stylishly dark. I will be recommending this to my friends who enjoy this style, which reminds me of Edward Gorey. thanks to NetGalley for letting me read this.

Dead Squirrels Everywhere
by: Gabrielle Ferrara
Illustrated: Natalia Nova
Uniquely Morbid Books
2023
5.0

This was fun to read. I loved it. Its a creepy counting book with a nod towards the morbid. Number 4-sick with disease, Number 6 found frozen in snow , Number 8 caught by a spider are fantastic, my favorite; and are imaginative and well done. A true conversation starter. Illustrations are fantastic, and fit the book well.

Gabrille Ferrara is an artist and entrpeneur of Victorian inspired art and jewwelry, using ethnically sourced animal remains. She has a Master's degree in Museum Studies and an undergraduate degree in Anthropoligy and Art History.
Thanks to #NetGalley for sending this ARC for review
#NetGalley #DeadSquirrelsEverywhere

Hey parents and young readers, you've gotta check out Dead Squirrels Everywhere by Gabrielle Ferrara! It's not your average counting book—it's got a quirky, slightly creepy vibe that kids will absolutely love. The illustrations are super cool and the whole concept is just so unique. Trust me, this book will have your little ones giggling and counting from one to ten in no time! 🐿️