The Pirate's Bed

Pub Date 10 Mar 2015 | Archive Date 10 Mar 2015

A pirate is sleeping snug in his bed, dreaming pirate dreams, when a great storm comes up at sea. The pirate sleeps on, but his bed is awake and scared of the thunder and the angry waves. Tossed this way and that, the ship finally crashes, sending the pirate to a tropical island and his bed off to sea.
At first, the bed is overjoyed. It's free from smelly feet, snoring and scratchy wool. It floats in the now peaceful water, meeting friendly gulls and playful dolphins and basking in the sun. But soon the little bed begins to feel like something is missing...
This fanciful tale of a bed lost at sea will capture the hearts of little pirates everywhere and send them off to sleep with dreams of tropical birds, swooshing waves and chattering monkeys.

PRICE CA$19.99 (CAD)

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I read this to my 4 and 5 year old boys. When I finished the story, I asked them what they thought and they gleefully (and rather loudly) cheered "Again, again!" It really was a beautiful story that was also fun to read (especially if you change your voice to sound like a pirate). I also really enjoyed the art, it was like an older child painted it; it felt like imagination and inspiration. As a parent, I loved the message that you could find something old and damaged but with some TLC, make it new and loved again.

As someone who loves her bed, I was quite excited when this book took an exciting turn--we start the story believing it will be about the pirate, but the hero is actually the pirate's bed! One of the most unique, heartwarming, funny, and enveloping picture books I've read in a while. The illustrations were different and beautiful. I would gladly recommend this book to anyone who loves pirates, or beds, or books with happy endings--regardless of age.

This was an adorable non-sensical journey of a bed. It is sure to capture the imaginations of young readers!