Desperate Straits

Pub Date 13 Jul 2016 | Archive Date 10 Feb 2016

Nineteen year-old Sarah Ryan sets forth alone from Ireland to make a new life on her sister’s homestead, but her future is shattered by gunfire. Determined to raise her orphaned nephew, Sarah struggles to overcome the hardships of life on a cattle ranch, confront a venomous town sheriff, and bridle her desire for a mysterious Texas Ranger.

When whispers of a long-lost treasure reach her enemy’s ears, Sarah must steel herself to fight a killer’s obsession.

From Award winning author Janet Squires -- A tale of intrigue, murder, and life on the frontier...

Desperate Straits is available in both print and ebook formats

EDITION Paperback

I was asked by a friend of a friend to review Desperate Straits for a friend. To be honest, I agreed reluctantly. I grew up on Louis L'Amour's stories, and have traveled extensively in the West. I have become jaded with the western genre since, because so many authors write pithy shoot'em ups with no concept of what life int he west is really like, and they don't know the difference between a trace chain and a hame string, but they think they can sell stories to others who are equally ignorent. Ms. Squires is indeed a fresh breath of air in what has become a stifling environment in the genre. She knows the west, and can describe the locale, the period, and the people of the time intimately. Her feminine insight (I'm ashamed to admit I didn't think a woman could write a western.) added tremendously to the story, rounding out the character of Sarah Ryan, making her three dimensional, instead of a flat, incomplete characature often found in Westerns. Ms. Squires was able to portray the emotional conflicts much more fully than most male authors do, but rather than finding this cloying, I found this drew me into the characters much more than I expected to the point I identified with them and found my pulse racing as much from the emotional strain as from the excitement of the action (which was not lacking). I do not say Ms. Squires is the second coming of Louis L'Amour, but I will say she goes a long way toward filling the hole left by his passing.

I found Desperate Straits by Janet Squires to be a wonderful meeting of Lonesome Dove and a Nora Roberts historical romance. The spunky optimistic Sarah is the very type of pioneer woman that made the West great. I loved her spirited Irish nature in the face of taunting situations. The characters stood strong during tough times, with determined wills, and a get it done attitude that never gave up. In fact, the story had it all enchanting heroine, guilt ridden hero, colorful supporting cast and a villain who fights to the bitter end. I loved it 5++ Stars The publisher through Net Galley provided a copy.

I received a free copy of this novel from Janet D. Squires through NetGalley. Thank you so much for sharing your work with me! Desperate Straits is an excellent historical romance. The characters are fully rounded, the setting is true to time and place, and the pace is steady but brisk. This is an author I will watch for. She knows her southwest.