Unlikely Friendships: Dogs

37 Stories of Canine Compassion and Courage

Pub Date 23 Aug 2016 | Archive Date 23 Aug 2016

A new book from the New York Times bestselling series.

Enhanced with beautiful full-color photographs, these true stories of camaraderie, affection, and remarkable bravery are from the author of the New York Times bestsellers Unlikely Friendships, Unlikely Loves, and Unlikely Heroes, as well as other books and calendars, with nearly two million copies in print.

Meet Rex, a German shepherd who learned to love and trust again through the improbable friendship of a goose. The pit bull named Dolly, whose antics with her best friend, Sheldon the tortoise, include games of tag.

For the millions of dog lovers, this heartwarming and inspirational book celebrates 37 stories of unusual canine companionship.

A new book from the New York Times bestselling series.

This book has the most heartwarming stories and the most amazing photos of dogs and their friends. It was like "Chicken Soup for the Soul' for dog lovers!

This sweet book will have you saying "aw" after each chapter. It tells the stories of amazing relationships between dogs and creatures great and small (from humans and elephants to kittens and chameleons). And adorable photographic evidence abounds.

This is such a fantastic book showcasing that all animals and in a way especially dogs, are really just a huge furry ball of love. I loved the pictures and the little stories that go with them and I will defined,y get this book for a few people that I know will get as much joy out of this book as I did. Even though this book technically focuses on dogs, it really just showcases the love that animals have for others and if you are someone that loves animals you will love this book! Just be prepared for lots of cute pictures and sometimes emotional stories to go with them. Fantastic book!

I love animals, and I especially love dogs, and I love books - so this was an easy call for me to request on netgalley - and was, in fact, my first netgalley book. I am planning on purchasing a copy when it is published because I have other animal lovers I'd like to share it with, and kids that I want to show the pictures. I saw someone comparing this book to "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul," and I think that is apt (although it has a lot more pictures than the Chicken Soup books). Each short chapter is the story of a dog bonding with other animals, and the pictures are great and add a lot to the stories. I've read a lot of stories of people/dog interactions, and it was fun and interesting reading about dogs and chickens, ferrets, and horses.

Simply can't go wrong with reading any book of this series. The stories are lovely and uplifting. The photos are touching. Even the occasional story with a sad ending is bearable because Jennifer's words emphasize the joy of their lives. One note, some of the stories in this book weren't about a friendship but rather a dog who had performed some kind of heroic deed. Which are pretty impressive! An easy and enthusiastic recommend for any dog lover. Thank you to the publisher for providing an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

What a fantastic little book! Or should I say big book? It’s almost 250 pages of stories about dogs from all over the world, and the friends of all types that they have affected. This is a wonderful book for anyone who loves dogs, or anyone who loves animals in general, as the dog friends here range from raccoons to ferrets, monkeys to owls, kittens to tigers, and even people. They are heartwarming stories, but what interested me most was how they talked about each animal. You learn something from each story. I thought this was going to be just another cute little animal book, but I was hooked from the first story. This would make an excellent gift book, but also something to consider buying for yourself if you are interested in animals. There is a lot of information here along with beautiful photos for each story. Just be careful giving to an animal-love child, or you’ll never hear the end of the begging for a new extraordinary pet.

Being the animal lover that I am, I was absolutely thrilled to receive an ARC of this book! An utterly charming book about the unlikely friendships that dogs have with humans and other animals. This book only served to reinforce what I already knew about dogs, that they are wondrous, caring souls and nothing can compare. What amazed me were some of the other species that made friends with the dogs here. If you are an animal lover, this book is an absolute must! It makes a lovely coffee table book too! I want to thank the publisher (Workman Publishing Group) for providing me with the ARC through Netgalley for an honest review..

I would first like to start off by stating that I received this free through NetGalley for an honest review. This is a wonderfully charming nonfiction work depicting the intense courage, loyalty, love, and friendship offered by numerous canine companions. Each dog's individual story is beautifully written with a plethora of adorable and truly inspiring photos with a few interesting little side notes pertaining to the various breeds thrown in for good measure. Being a dog lover myself, I was quite enthusiastic about reading this particular book, having heard rave reviews of other titles from this series and I was, by no means, disappointed. This was an excellent read that I couldn't have put down even if I had wanted and it served to remind me yet again why dogs have always been and will always be an integral part of my life. I would heartily recommend this book to anyone. Be sure to read it with a box of tissues at the ready - some of these stories will make you laugh and cry all at the same time!

Unlikely Friendships: Dogs is a simply charming collection of uplifting pictures and stories that will bring a smile to your face, whether or not you are a dog lover. The immense variety of inter species friendships demonstrate how dogs and other animals are capable of compassion, forming nurturing mutually beneficial relationships. It also shows that animals are at times even more than "human" in their honesty and willingness to give. Some of the dogs featured are working dogs, while others are household pets who have behaved in amazing ways. The stories are a true delight - From Razor the dachshund and Tillie the setter, who each managed to alert their owners that a fellow canine friend needed help, to the charming bond between the two legged chihuahua Roo and his best friend Penny, a silky chicken. It is difficult to pick a favourite. Unlikely Friendships: Dogs makes a lovely gift for animal lovers of all ages. 5/5 Unlikely Friendships:Dogs is available for preorder and will be released August 23, 2016. I received a copy of Unlikely Friendships: Dogs from the publisher and netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review. --Crittermom (8/13/16)

When I saw the title of this book, I couldn't wait to take a look and I wasn't let down. It's a great book that showcases all animals (but especially dogs). This is a very heartwarming and inspirational book that provides readers with 37 different examples of unusual companionship with dogs. I loved the cute pictures - they were very touching - and the awesome stories that go with each of them.. Even the stories with a sad ending are beautiful because the author shares the joy of their lives. This book will make an awesome gift for any dog lover in your life! I know I want a hard copy myself as soon as it's out!

I adored this book. It make a wonderful inspiration book that could also provide interesting tidbits of information on animal behaviors. The pictures were wonderfully colorful and well done. I did tear up quite a bit while reading this one.

When I saw I'd been approved for an ARC of this book via NetGalley I couldn't contain my excitement. I've loved every single book that's been written in this same vein by Jennifer S. Holland. I own copies of all of them - except for the ones for kids, but I didn't actually know they existed so I'll have check those out soon - and I buy a regular sized and mini calendar every year. And I absolutely loved this one, too. I've read some of these stories before, but that didn't matter. Holland has a way of writing that makes each story special even if I have read it or heard it before. I grinned, laughed, cried, and ultimately just felt warmed by this addition to an already great series.

Not set

Cute book for dog lovers. Lots of pictures showing dogs who have Scorsese the species barrier to become friends with animals of a different kind- some they may not have ever interacted with in the wild! The pictures are amazing, and the stories are heart warming.

Not set

I love reading books about animals and this is the third one I've read by this author. There are 37 stories about unlikely friendships between dogs and other animals from around the world along with full-colour pictures ... a Chihuahua who uses wheels instead of back legs to get around and a chicken, a Bernese Mountain dog and a ferret, a junkyard dog and a goose, a pit bull and a tortoise, and more. Some friendships last just a few days while others last for years. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it. This is an great book for animal lovers of all ages. The pictures are amazing.