Mik Murdoch, Boy Superhero

Pub Date 31 May 2016 | Archive Date 05 Dec 2016
Perfect Analogy Publishing, Evil Alter Ego Press

Mik Murdoch is just a regular, everyday kid… until he decides it is his destiny to become a superhero. But, just how does one become a superhero anyway? Mik doesn't have any of the normal things that would fulfill his dream; he doesn't have special powers, nor billions of dollars or technology. He isn't even the world's greatest detective. It shouldn't be all that hard though, should it? People get super powers in the comic books all the time. So Mik tries everything he can think of to get powers. Radioactive bugs, super powered armour, even putting on a cape so he can fly. Will he get super powers? Are there villains to battle? Does his small town of Cranberry Flats even need a superhero? So many questions. The biggest one of all? Is the world ready for Mik Murdoch, Boy Superhero?

Advance Praise

"Mik Murdock reminds me a great deal of the young Laura Engles, in that he cares about his family and friends, often putting their needs above his own. But he doesn't always do exactly as he's told, and this works to get him into trouble. I hadn't planned to read straight through when I picked up the story, but that's exactly what I did." - Reviewer Denna Holm

EDITION Ebook
ISBN 9781994726681

Clever middle-school book, reminiscent of Daniel Pinkwater stories. A little silly, a little unrealistic, but with a lot of heart. Mik is a great hero, even if he doesn't have super powers. Fun for adults as well as kids. Mik's voice is very genuine.

I am sharing below the thoughts of my 11-yo 7th grader who is also named Mik: This was a feel-good story. The main character acts his age and is very relatable. Even if he seems a bit older for his grade level, he acted like I did back when I was ten. The story starts with a good active and exciting introduction, so I was motivated to proceed and read the book. There is good mix of kid-dialogue and kid-action. I do think sometimes that Mik’s emotional reactions to events that affect him are inconsistent. At times he appears stoic and steadfast, and at times he reacts deeply. I guess he is just like a friend of mine who is also unpredictable. Mik has a great attitude in life, and he really likes doing good deeds, which is why he tries to be a superhero himself, not knowing that just by helping out those around him, he is already doing “heroic” deeds which are uncommon for middle-school boys. I like Mik, I like his adventures, and I look forward to reading more about his experiences as a boy superhero. Recommended.