Cover Image: Daughter of Darkness

Daughter of Darkness

Daughter of Darkness is the second book in the Viridian Deep series by Terry Brooks. The story takes place a few years after the first book, Child of Light. Auris is still trying to piece together her past and her place in the world, while fighting off Trolls and humans who hope to recapture her. Auris finds herself in conflict and danger once again as she tries to save herself and those she loves.
Terry Brooks is an excellent storyteller and world creator. He writes with a flair that pulls you deep into the story as though you are a member of the party. However, this is not without flaws as Daughter of Darkness is designed as a YA book so it seems childish at times and Auris is still extremely naive. The character of Auris at times seems too contrived, with all of her unknown but conveniently found powers.
Altogether the story is a good one. It is interesting and well described. I would read another book in the series.
Thanks to ]and Del Ray Publishing for the advanced copy of the book. The opinions are my own.
I am not a big fan of fantasy, but when I do read it, Terry Brooks is my go to person.  I enjoyed this story of the quest of Auris and her friends to save Harrow when he was injured and in danger. The addition of Dragons into the mix is always a plus to any story, in my opinion.   I am thinking this is a two book series, but may be wrong.  However, I liked the way it ended.  Thanks, Net Galley and Random House Publishing for the chance to read it.
This book fell a little short for me.  It was all right, but I found myself not interested in the characters or the story line.  Even though I read Child of Light not long ago, I had a hard time remembering what actually happened in book one.  So it took me a little while to get back into the story and connect all of the pieces.

The book read a little young, which is fine, but it wasn’t what I was expecting.  I did appreciate that the story was wrapped up nicely.  And will still continue to check out Terry Brooks future works, despite this series not being one I enjoyed.

Thank you to NetGalley, Random House Publishing/Ballantine/Del Rey, and Terry Brooks for an e-arc of Daughter of Darkness in exchange for an honest review.
Daughter of Darkness (Viridian Deep, #2)
by Terry Brooks
The dark look at our roles in society, as the Sylvans and Goblins wage war. Harrow and Char struggle to support Auris as she struggles against the power vacuum of her fathers defeat.
I like that the story shows the responsibility of leadership. The characters are wonderfully multidimensional, with inner monologues that explain their actions.
I would recommend this sequel to the Child of light, to those readers that love dimensional fantasy. This book could change your interpretation of the goblins of many Tolkien related histories.
I like what Terry Brooks decided to do with this series.  Breaking away from his usual fantasy style and the world he mostly writes to do something different was a breath of fresh air.  But this book didn't have as much to offer as the first. I liked it well enough but it was just a little lacking.
A year ago I entered this new world by my favorite author. This second installment of Viridian Deep proved to me exactly why I have a slight obsession with the work of Mr Brooks. Daughter of Darkness drops us two years after Auris escaped the goblin prisons and started her adventures as half Fae with her love Harrow. A lot happened in book one and just when I thought the stakes couldn’t get any higher, they do! I was really happy to see the confidence and development with Auris that she truly deserved. The mystery of her missing memories and past are deeply intriguing and it was fantastic to see some of that revealed in this novel. After the kidnapping of her younger sister Auris is propelled on a wild rollercoaster of an adventure to get her back and the new characters and places it brought her were really amazing. As always the world building is in top tier Brooks fashion. The kind of fantastical world you can see vividly when you close your eyes. This book made me laugh, made me cry, broke my heart and gave me hope. If you’re even slightly a fantasy lover this is a series you need in your life!
It was not that long ago when I asked my local scifi reading group for some author recommendations since I was coming to the end of some series.  Everyone of them suggested Terry Brooks, everyone of them.  So I entered the world of Shannarra and have been hooked on his books ever since.  This is the 2nd book in his latest series.  I definitely recommend you read the first one, Child of Light, to enjoy the full effect of Mr Brook's world building skills.  Of course, then you will be hooked too.  Sorry.....not sorry.
"Daughter of Darkness" by Terry Brooks is the second book in the Viridian Deep series. Much like the first book, this was written in first person and follows the continued "adventures" of Auris and her Fae family. Although, this series is not his best, Terry is an amazing author who has had a great, almost 50 year, career in fantasy writing. He knows how to tell a story and draw his readers in.

This particular edition in the series leaves the reader wanting more. Much like the first book, Auris is put in impossible situations with companions who think they are being helpful. She is continually told she has the power to do what must be done, but she is overwhelmed with her self-doubt. Instead of helping her through this by walking her through plans and scenarios where she can learn to fully actualize, the secondary characters just tell her what they'll do... personally... whether it's good for the group or not. Their help comes in the form of "you already know what to do, why aren't you doing it" and "that's a bad plan, don't tell me what I can and can't do..." This, at times, is maddening to the point of sheer frustration.

Hopefully, if this series continues, the next book will move beyond its juvenile tendencies.
Daughter of Darkness is book two in the Viridian Deep Series by Terry Brooks.

DOD was a phenomenal fantasy novel.
Vivid and descriptive that you immediately feel drawn in this world.
This was one of the best books I've read in a long time.
Brooks storytelling is outta this world. It's special, stellar and so brilliantly done.
A very intriguing fantasy book that kept me interested and engaged.
Action packed from start to finish. With an electrifying ending.
This was one of those that ended too soon.
I was captivated by this book and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Sadly I haven't read Child of Light, but after reading book two I'm buying it after I write this review.

"I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."

Random House, Ballantine & Del Rey,
Thank You for your generosity and gifting me a copy of this amazing eARC!
Fun second novel in the Viridian Deep series. This book is the second novel, world building and character development was previously done in Child of Light. This book is very well written and creative. We see more of auris past, tons of conflict, new characters and more. I thoroughly enjoyed the second book!
Two years has passed since Auris liberated herself from the Goblin prison and learned that she was one of the Fae.  Her life is going well, she has become close with her family and she has a partner in her lover Harrow.  When the Goblins attack she is shocked, she had hoped she had been erased from the memories of those who imprisoned her.  Why have they come for her?  Who could still want her now?  These are the questions she knows she must answer to save herself.  Auris goes to her past for answers and as she dives deeper into it she knows the answers she seeks are there.  When Harrow is taken she knows that she will do anything to sed him again.  Follow along as Auris takes a journey into her past in hopes of saving Harrow and the future she hopes to have with him.
Daughter of Darkness is the second installment in this series although it begins two years after the ending of book one.

Once again, the world Brooks has created is as genuine as one would expect from a master of the craft, except that I have the single issue that I experienced with the first book: sometimes this feels almost like a child’s fantasy book and other times it is very much an adult fantasy novel.

I like Auris better in this second book. She is more comfortable in her skin, even as she continues to learn about herself.

The end is wrapped up, albeit in a slightly rushed manner. Maybe a book three will happen as surprises do. If not, the loose ends are tied, and I am satisfied with the ending. I give this five stars; a good old-school fantasy novel is hard to find these days.
What's it about (in a nutshell):
Daughter of Darkness is the second book in Terry Brook's series, Veridian Deep. This series installment explores Auris in much more detail than the first book – what her powers are and what happened in those years that she has no memory of. It's a harrowing adventure – one where Auris must overcome the worst evil the world has ever seen – fae or human – to survive and keep as many of her loved ones safe as possible.
Initial Expectations (before beginning the book):
I enjoyed the first book, Child of Light, but I thought it was a standalone as it ended with a satisfying conclusion. Imagine my surprise to learn that there was a second one that picked up two years after the first one left off. I am excited to read more about Auris and this fae world.
Actual Reading Experience:
I enjoyed catching up with Auris and Harrow in this new installment of Brooks' latest series. It is written in such a way as to help the reader remember the first book without spending too much time on it and forgoing a remarkable new story in the process. The two books can almost be read as standalones, since both have satisfying conclusions, but I don't know why you would want to do that. I could see, however, reading book 2 before book 1 and that being almost as okay as reading them in order.
Significantly few writers can build a fae world with the amount of love and creativity Brooks brings to his creations. I love the beauty that exists in every nuance and detail. I had no trouble immersing myself in this story and seeing it as if it was right in front of me and could be experienced with all my senses. I was transported to Viridian Deep and the other areas explored in the story from page one. I was thrilled to be there with the unique cast of characters and the imaginative details and creatures.
I especially loved how there are so many powerful women in this story, from the main character to most of the support characters. Women are arguably the movers and shakers in this world, and I enjoyed every minute of that. I also loved that it isn't done at the expense of the male characters in the story. There are some terrible men, without a doubt, but there are also some exceptional ones.
Characters:
All the characters are wonderfully detailed and represented, each with their own distinctive personalities and quirks. The main character, though, is my favorite.
Auris thought she was a human, and she only remembered her life imprisoned by the Goblins – that is, until she escaped. An elf named Harrow rescues her and brings her back to the hidden fae world of Viridian Deep. There she learns many secrets about herself, though there are big blocks of her life that remain a mystery. In this story, Auris shows so much strength – inner and outer – as she confronts demons from her past that have come to ruin her future.
Narration & Pacing:
The narration is in the first person through the main character's perspective (Auris). Since most of the story is about her trying to remember her past, the first person works nicely to allow the reader to know as much as Auris can remember. It also helps keep the plot very tight, focused, and character-driven.
Setting:
The setting is an alternate US where fae creatures are known to humans, some fae of which are exploited and some captured and studied. Goblins are out in the open and work with certain humans to imprison other humans, particularly children, and to infiltrate the hidden fae world of Viridian Deep. The US is much as it is currently, except the reader also gets to explore a secret world within our own world.
Read it if you like:
•	a unique portrayal of fae creatures, beings, and locals
•	amazing world-building
•	magic and dragons
•	character-driven stories
•	strong female characters (many of them!)
Daughter of Darkness the second book in the Viridian Deep Series by Terry Brooks. It begins two years after the finish of the first book. While the author attempts to explain anything necessary to know from the first book, I would still recommend the books be read in order.

Auris wants a normal quiet life with family but that is impossible for her to achieve. Always trouble is near her. So while she doesn’t want to be a champion she always rises to the occasion. You have to admire that. Right vs wrong gets blurred at times so promises are not given without clarification and almost never as a blank check in this series. I like the honesty of it.

Some answers, some new questions for this heroine and her friends, lost and found. I am enjoying this new series in a new world with some nasty bad guys and some determined good ones. If you read the first book and loved Auris, you certainly will in this second book too.

An ARC of the book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley which I voluntarily chose to read and reviewed. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Terry Brooks does it again he finishes the story although to me the last few chapters felt rushed, but I understand he was trying to finish up the story and not write anymore books in this world.  Overall I really liked the book I felt like it built off the first book nicely developed the main character Auris very well.  I guess I just wished Terry would have just written a third book so the ending didn't feel so rushed at the end.  I recommend the book, but with one caveat you will feel like Terry rushed the ending.
“Daughter” is Brooks newest entry in his first post-Shannara series. Brooks is a master of fantasy, and he continues to be on top of his game with "Daughter."

The novel begins about two years after the conclusion of the previous novel. Auris and her newly found family are healing from the aftermath of the previous novel when a new evil disrupts their lives. Auris must act quickly to save the love of her life and discover how to combat this new threat.

“Daughter” continues to be a story of one young ladies’ resilience. While a new threat enters the story, Auris still must find answers to her unknown past by continuing to unravel the mystery of her missing memory. She must seek both old and new allies if she is to prevail once again.

Fans of Brooks’ Shannara series are bound to love his newest series.

Thanks to Netgalley and Del Rey Books for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Terry Brooks does it again. Fantasy fans will not be disappointed with Daughter of Darkness, the excellent follow up to Child of Light. It’s been about two years since the events of Child of Light and Auris is now happy, contented. So naturally bad things are going to start up again, am I right? This one has everything you could want from Brooks: more world building, deeper exploration of the world’s lore/magic system, a wonderful villain, action packed adventure, and a wonderfully twisty plot. Mr. Brooks just knows how to pull readers in and weave a great tale, and that’s the reason I’ve been a fan of his since I first started reading his work in the early 80s. I’d like to thank Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review an eARC of Daughter of Darkness.

Second book of the Veridian Deep series.

Auris has found her place in Veridian a deep among the Fae, and has now lived among them for two years with Harrow as her partner. However she still has not recovered her missing memories, and the Goblins have still been attacking periodically. Then during an attack, someone from her past appears unexpectedly.

I purchased Child of Light in anticipation of reading this ARC and was a little underwhelmed by it. I feared this book would be equally underwhelming. However, it would now seem that book had been laying the groundwork for the story Daughter of Darkness was meant to tell. I enjoyed this story so much more as it delved deeper into this fantasy world that involves secret portals within the Fae lands and also bordering on the human world.

I still don't particularly enjoy the style of present tense storytelling, so that was still difficult for me to get around. I also don't think this was an amazing story overall. It was just fine.

Thank you to Random House publishing for sending me a free ARC in exchange for an honest review
I enjoyed Daughter of Darkness even more than Child of Light. It followed a similar formula, but the stakes were higher. It invoked more emotion and was much sadder but the end was so sweet. I felt more connected to Auris this time.
This book continues the story from Child of Light of Auris, who is half Fae and half human. She has settled in with Harrow and they are making a life together in Viridian Deep when Goblins suddenly start trying to kidnap her. Eventually they kidnap one of her sisters instead and this leads to the series of events that have you crossing your fingers that it all turns out well in the end.

I read Terry Brooks books when I was younger and came back to them again when the opportunity came up to read Child of Light. I love a great fantasy book and any of his books fit the bill. Hoping that there will be another one in this series.

I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley and thoroughly enjoyed it!