Little Darlings

A Novel

Pub Date 30 Apr 2019 | Archive Date 16 Apr 2019

Talking about this book? Use #LittleDarlingsBook #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE

APRIL 2019 LIBRARY READS PICK!

“Mother knows best” takes on a sinister new meaning in this unsettling thriller perfect for fans of Neil Gaiman, Grimms’ Fairy Tales, and Aimee Molloy's The Perfect Mother.

Everyone says Lauren Tranter is exhausted, that she needs rest. And they’re right; with newborn twins, Morgan and Riley, she’s never been more tired in her life. But she knows what she saw: that night, in her hospital room, a woman tried to take her babies and replace them with her own…creatures. Yet when the police arrived, they saw no one. Everyone, from her doctor to her husband, thinks she’s imagining things.

A month passes. And one bright summer morning, the babies disappear from Lauren’s side in a park. But when they’re found, something is different about them. The infants look like Morgan and Riley—to everyone else. But to Lauren, something is off. As everyone around her celebrates their return, Lauren begins to scream, These are not my babies.

Determined to bring her true infant sons home, Lauren will risk the unthinkable. But if she’s wrong about what she saw…she’ll be making the biggest mistake of her life.

Compulsive, creepy, and inspired by some of our darkest fairy tales, Little Darlings will have you checking—and rechecking—your own little ones. Just to be sure. Just to be safe.

SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE

APRIL 2019 LIBRARY READS PICK!

Advance Praise

Praise for Little Darlings:

"Golding's novel will strike true fear into the heart of any parent. At the same time, the novel explores the fierce and desperate love we have for our children, written with beautiful intensity . . . A gorgeous, creepy, modern fairy tale reminiscent of Angela Carter."
Kirkus starred review

"A modern story of ghosts and fairy tales . . . Golding beautifully blends the supernatural with the everyday, keeping readers riveted to the page as they question what is true."
Booklist starred review

"Sinister and sickeningly real, Little Darlings is fairy tale-inflected horror . . . that touch[es] on our deepest, most instinctive fears and fairy tales."
Foreword Reviews starred review

"Haunting . . . Fans of psychological thrillers will look forward to Golding’s next novel."
Publishers Weekly

“Chilling story, beautiful prose. Little Darlings is stunning.
—Clare Mackintosh, New York Times bestselling author of I Let You Go

"Ingenious, chilling, and completely absorbing, Little Darlings is destined to be the hit of 2019. The scariest book I have read in many years."
—A. J. Banner, bestselling author of The Good Neighbor

“Deep. Dark. Utterly addictive. I read this extraordinary book in one breathless gulp… Be warned—you can't unread this story. It will haunt you.
—Teresa Driscoll, author of I Am Watching You

“I love this book! Compelling from the first page to the very last, Golding took me by the hand and pulled me softly but persistently through mystery and myth… A masterfully-told story and a beautiful and nuanced work of art.
—Susan Crawford, author of The Pocket Wife

“Dark, compelling and terrifyingly relatable, Little Darlings takes every parent’s worst fear and deftly twists it into something even more horrific. It will have you checking every shadow for what you hope isn’t really there.
—Megan Hart, New York Times bestselling author

"Little Darlings is the perfect marriage of taut psychological thriller and nail-biting horror. A changeling-inspired page-turner of note with a highly satisfying ending, it'll stay with you long after you've read it. I loved it and can't wait to see what Melanie Golding does next.
—Sarah Lotz, author of The White Road

"A twisty, chilling exploration of the dark side of motherhood, brilliantly told by a debut author whose skill is evident from the first page. Any parent—any human, for that matter—will have a hard time putting this book down once they start."
—Brad Parks, international bestselling author of The Last Act

“A story that is in turn enthralling, creepy and downright sinister, Melanie Golding turns fairy tales on their heads in Little Darlings, making this one to watch out for in 2019. A brilliant, heart-pounding read.”
—Lisa Hall, author of Between You and Me

“Rich and satisfying, this is part who-done-it, part fairy tale, part psychological thriller… Will continue to rattle you, long after you have put it down.”
—Felicity Everett, author of The People at Number 9

Riveting, terrifying and at times heartbreaking…Melanie Golding’s disturbing portrait of a new mother’s paranoia is superbly written, cleverly plotted and gruesomely beautiful in an unforgettable way. A stunning debut.
—Annie Ward, author of Beautiful Bad

Little Darlings is brilliant—beautifully written, disturbing and deliciously creepy.”
—Roz Watkins, author of The Devil’s Dice

"Dark, richly evocative, tense, and thought-provoking. Taps into every woman's fear that she will not be believed."
—Mel McGrath, author of Give Me the Child

"Viscerally creepy and compelling—a contemporary dark fairy tale that reeled me in like tales of old."
—Angela Clarke, author of Follow Me

"Little Darlings gives a thrill so deep it dips at times into pleasure, at Golding's sheer creativity, at her ability to take our most natural and primal life experience and weave into it our most ancient myths, transforming it into high horror. She keeps the reader spellbound until the very end . . . The psychological intensity of this novel is on par with the best."
—Katherine Forbes Riley, author of The Bobcat