Behind the Dragon's Veil
The Dragarri Series Book 1
by Christina Jolly
Pub Date 01 Sep 2019
Talking about this book? Be sure to tag it using #BehindTheDragonsVeil #NetGalley
Magical artifices, dragon-shifters, palace intrigues and meddling sorcery meet in Behind the Dragon’s Veil, the first novel in a new YA Steampunk Fantasy series.
RAPUNZEL meets A GATHERING OF SHADOWS
"Seventeen years of forced isolation has let Annarae to value freedom when she rises as queen. But ruling means surviving court and appeasing her corrupt & demanding council. She’ll risk anything to be free, even to slay a dragon."
Behind the Dragon's Veil
An artificer turned queen.
After seventeen years of seclusion and secrecy, Annarae, an artificer, and now the queen of Andrandria, sits the throne and embraces freedom for the first time. When a dragon threatens her kingdom, she organizes a tournament to assemble slayers. But her problems are far from over. With a killer bent on stealing a power she doesn’t have, a queen without a husband and heir is perilous to the realm. She must marry the champion or risk losing her throne to a regent.
A dragon turned mass murderer
Rebellious Fallagiocrus is never one to obey his father. Ignoring the ancient treaty that expelled his dragarri species, and evading capture each time, he'll shift into his dragon form to soar the night away. He is unstoppable until the fateful night where he loses control of his body and incinerates an entire village by accident. He must win the slayer tournament to right his mistake.
A country mage turned killer
Ambitious Kilin is a small town battle mage fully capable of competing in the slayer tournament. If he succeeds he'll escape his personal prison and win a chance to earn a coveted position in the Maginari Academy. But unbeknownst to his main ego, his split personality was the reason behind the dragon attack.
Tangled together in a strange fate, this unlikely crew embark on a journey to save their kingdom and themselves.
Filled with surprise, romance, secrets and wonder, Behind the Dragon’s veil is perfect for fans of RAPUNZEL, A GATHERING OF SHADOWS and A COURT OF MIST AND FURY.
"Book Unicorn, Goodreads wrote:
There's a book out there that deserves to go viral, a book you haven't read! It's called 'Behind The Dragon's Veil' by @christinaajolly⠀
The synopsis is thus. There's a princess. She's been hidden from the world for 17 years - there's a good reason her parents aren't psychos trust me. And then her parents die & she becomes the Queen, totally untrained for the position. Then a dragon scorches a village. So she holds a tournament to find a dragon slayer. In the end she's to marry the winner of the tournament. ⠀
I need to find whoever wrote this synopsis.
It doesn't do the book justice. ⠀
This book is soooo much more. It's a mind boggling tale of a dethroned Queen trying to find her way back to the throne amidst betrayal, weird alliances, romance & finding out that she's been fed a shitload of lies since birth. The book is so beautiful it hurts! ⠀
So these are the top five things I loved about the book!
5. The concept - Magicians & humans occur together in books (hello Hary Potter). Dragons & humans occur together in books (hello How To Train Your Dragon). Have you read a book where all three occurred together? I haven't. This is the first of it's kind for me.
4. Dragons - What majestic creatures! They are hot as dragons and hotter as humans. *wink wink*⠀
3. The vocabulary - What language are those words? They sound beautiful almost musical.
2. Annarae - She has several uncharacteristic traits for a queen. Being a mechanic is one of them. Being monochromatic is another. I was fascinated by the latter the most. What an interesting feature! But there's somebody who brings color to her life...... ⠀
The top one thing that I loved about the book⠀
1. Reign - 'You'll never be alone, I'll be with you from dusk to dawn' for five years..... Read more to find out. *winks*⠀