Georgana's Secret

Buy on Amazon Buy on BN.com Buy on Bookshop.org
*This page contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you.

Pub Date 12 Jan 2021 | Archive Date 26 Jan 2021

Talking about this book? Use #GeorganasSecret #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

1811, HMS Deborah

A Regency romance on the high seas.

As a young girl, Georgana Woodall dreamed of beautiful dresses, fancy balls, and falling in love. However, when her mother dies, she cannot face a future under the guardianship of her abusive grandmother and instead chooses to join her father on his ship disguised as his cabin boy, “George.”

Lieutenant Dominic Peyton has no time in his life for love, not with his dedication to His Majesty’s Royal Navy claiming his full attention. Determined to prove himself to his new captain, he strives to be an exemplary officer and leader. When he sees the captain’s cabin boy being harassed by the crew, he immediately puts a stop to it and takes the “boy” under his wing. After discovering a number of clues, Dominic deduces that George is really a woman. Knowing that revealing the cabin boy’s secret would put her in serious danger from the rowdy crew, Dominic keeps silent and hides his growing affection for her.

Georgana is quickly losing her heart to Dominic’s compassion and care but is convinced nothing can come of her affection. She cannot continue to live her life on the sea, and having already missed too many seasons in London, her chances of being welcomed back into polite society and finding a suitable husband have slipped away.

Georgana’s Secret is about two hearts yearning to find a safe harbor, and possibly, a lasting love.

1811, HMS Deborah

A Regency romance on the high seas.

Advance Praise

"Hawks crafts a spellbinding tale featuring rich characters and raw emotions set against the atmospheric backdrop of sea life in all its danger and beauty. Georgana is a tough protagonist holding her own in a world dominated by men, while Peyton’s charm and sensitivity marks him as a true gentleman. A hidden identity, flirtation, and treachery make for a rousing tale to captivate lovers of historical romances."-Publishers Weekly

PAGES 320

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Georgana's Secret is an absolutely captivating story. The plot is captivating and the characters were well developed. I look forward to more from Arlem Hawks!

Georgana’s Secret by Arlem Hawks is an excellent historical fiction romance that was such a joy to read. This book was so unique, refreshing, uplifting, and truly a breath of fresh air.

I loved the concept and plot of Georgana going undercover as a young boy, George Taylor, under father’s watch on his ship, HMS Deborah. The dynamics of Captain Woodall, Georgana, the men on the ship, and newly added Lt. Dominic Peyton was brilliant. The character cast was well-developed, the plot well-thought out, and the suspense and outcome placed at the end-perfect.

I loved how both Dominic and Georgana (as well as several others) were able to learn, grow, adapt, find themselves, and find support, love, forgiveness, and acceptance in each other. There were so many wonderful relationships represented.

I loved the time: early 1800s
The place: Portsmouth, England, but mainly aboard the ship on the seas. I learned so much about the workings of a ship, the job positions, the battles, the grit and determination it took to survive, thrive, and find a satisfying life in the Royal Navy.

Most of all, I loved Georgana and Dominic. The incomplete characters with strong moral compasses, unsure of themselves and the love that they found through first friendship, truly wonderful. Both seem to bring out the best in each other. I loved the respect, the mutual interests, the loyalties, and of course the love that they developed with one another. The ending was just perfect.

Truly one of the best books I have read in a long time.

5/5 stars

Thank you NetGalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for this ARC and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately (as of 7/19/20 a listing on BB has not been created) and will post it to my Amazon and B&N accounts upon publication.

I admit I requested this book off Netgalley based off the cover alone. The fact it’s a Proper Romance was a bonus because I’ve enjoyed their books before so I trust them to put out solid reading material. Georgana’s Secret is no exception. And when I realized it had themes of secret identity and romance on the high seas I was all in! Now I just wish someone could take me sailing. 😅

I really loved this book by Arlem Hawks! It was one of my favorite reads this year! It was so different from most of the "ballroom" regencies as almost all of the action takes place on an English frigate. Speaking of action --there was a lot of it! Batten down the hatches as there are deaths, injuries, illnesses, attacks by enemy frigates, and an attempted mutiny. I am not usually attracted to books that take place on a ship, but Arlem Hawks really has a talent for describing all the activity on board a ship in such an interesting way! She wowed me with her knowledge!

Georgana Taylor has traveled with her father for three years on his father's ship the HMS Deborah, All the shipmates thinks she is a boy, as she goes by the name George, and dresses as a boy. Her father has taken her on his ship to get her away from his abusive mother -- Geogana's grandmother.

Lieutenant Dominic Peyton's heart was with the sea, and he anxiously awaited his new assignment as second in command on the HMS Deborah, Dominic has compassion on George Taylor, the third-class boy, who is shoved around by the other shipmates. He teaches George how to defend herself, and takes it upon himself to watch over him! What will happen when he discovers her disguise?

This was such a unique and fun book, full of action, adventure, and romance (clean). Reading this book would be just the cure for the doldrums!

A Regency romance novel featuring a young woman disguised as a young man?! That's definitely a trope my genderqueer heart can fall in love with. Georgana's Secret follows Georgana, disguised as a cabin boy on her father's naval ship. Hawks explains Georgana's presence on the ship by folding in a quiet yet strong narrative about Georgana's experience of an abusive grandmother. The ship offers a tenuous sense of safety, but it is urgent to keep Georgana away from her abusive grandmother. After several years at sea, her effort to hide in plain sight as George the cabin boy is thrown into tricky territory when a new lieutenant, Dominic Peyton, joins the crew and takes George under his wing. As Peyton's affection for George increases and they begin to know each other better, Peyton begins to quietly question George's backstory. Then feelings develop amidst the chaos of life at sea.

A few awkward missteps and a vague sense that of wanting a bit more aside, Georgana's Secret was a lighthearted, yet emotionally thoughtful short Regency novel. I would recommend it! (Closer to a 3.5 star for me, but bumped because I ultimately did enjoy it!)

thanks netgalley for the arc!!!

Captivating! I loved watching this beautiful romance bloom! Georgana disquises herself as a boy to be able to escape the cruelty of her grandmother and to sail the seas with her Navy Captian father. Dominic catches the attention of Georgana and they form an incredible friendship. Dominic is a very caring and gentle soul perfect for the hurting Georgana. I loved watching them encourage each other and help the other face their fears/past. It was fun to watch Dominic finally fit the pieces together. Arlem Hawks' writing is incredible and you feel as tho you are facing the battles with the characters! This book is a great insight into the life at sea during the 1800's. I cannot imagine being on the sea for years on end. Beautiful book and I cannot wait to read more books by Arlem Hawks!!!

I loved this story so much!

This was the first book I read from this author and I didn't know what to expect, but I really liked her writing.

This is a Regency story but it's set on a ship, which is very different from the usual balls and halls and all those other clichés.

Georgana is on a ship captained by her father, and she's disguised as a cabin boy under the name of George. They've been doing this for three years, after her mother's death, to escape her grandmother's abuse. She guards this secret for her sake and her father's, even though this life is hard for her.

Dominic is the new first lieutenant and he loves being on the high seas. When he witnesses the other boys harassing George, he comes to the his rescue. Slowly, a friendship forms between them, with him not knowing she's a young lady. Dominic's kindness is a balm to Georgana and her feelings for him change.

The setting was amazing and I loved the interactions between Georgana and Dominic, especially later in the story.

There was adventure, and peril, and beautiful moments that were a treat to read. The epilogue was so good!

I received a copy from the publisher via NetGalley and this is my honest opinion.

#Georgana’s Secret #NetGalley. This is a captivating story about a young girl Georgana who disguised as a cabin boy escapes her abusive Grandmother and sets sail on her father’s ship who is the Captain. Dominic is the new first lieutenant who witnesses the other boys harassing George and defends him. During this time a friendship forms and later her feelings change. So after secrets are revealed and adventure and peril are imminent, their love will be challenged. I received an arc of this book for an honest review. I would recommend this book as a great read

4 stars

Good story. The Author is new to me. Nice balance of viewpoints. Some from the heroine, George and some from the hero, Dominic. Lots of descriptions of life on a naval ship in regency times. The romance was clean and fairly low key. I would definitely recommend this story and this writer. Delighful Cover.

Okay. If you've seen the movie Princess Bride you'll remember the conversation the grandfather has about the kind of book he was reading to his grandson. I don't know the exact lines but he talks about all the wonderful elements of the book. Swordfighting, romance, pirates, etc... The grandson replies, "Murdered by pirates is good". Ha ha. That is kind of how I felt about this book. So many elements to enjoy. I thought I'd get a couple hours of reading in before going to bed. I couldn't stop reading. My heart was pounding during the battle. I finished the book about 1:30 am. And then I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about the story for another hour.
This book has romance but is also a war story. There is conflict with the enemy and inner-crew conflict aboard ship. We have a woman dressed as a boy who has been fooling the crew for three years. And she is dealing with the inner demons of having been physically and emotionally abused for years by her grandmother.
I won't go into detail about anything except to say I really appreciated the way the author wrote the romance. And I'm not even sure I can explain my thoughts clearly on this. So often when a story is a woman disguised as a man and there is attraction between her and a man, I am left wondering how that other man feels about being attracted to a "man". If you are heterosexual and suddenly having same sex feelings, wouldn't you be questioning yourself and your sexual orientation? The books I've read with this scenario never really deal with that. But instead of having a budding romance between what appears to be two men, their relationship in this book is more mentoring. He takes the "boy" under his wing to help him stand up for himself against the bullies and they gain an affection for each other because of that. It is only later the romance really begins and he has figured out she is a woman. By writing it this way, the author avoided having to omit an obvious part of the story (why am I having feelings for a man?) Hope that makes sense.
So yes, I did really enjoy this book and can honestly say I couldn't put it down. I loved the main characters. Georgana grows and learns to stand up for herself and then was kind even to her tormentor. Dominic also grows both as a leader and a person and gives confidence to those who are weaker than he. Plus, he is good to his mother. But neither of them are perfect. They both have room for continued growth. I only hope that Georgana doesn't grow tired of the sea in time.

Sex: no
Language: no
Violence: yes
*I received a complimentary ARC of this book through Netgalley and voluntarily chose to review it.

4.5 Stars! Absolutely delightful. I loved this one from start to finish. It was compelling, beautiful, and the cover is stunning!

The book opens with a captain rescuing his daughter from an abusive relationship in one of the most unlikely ways possible: disguising her as a cabin boy aboard his ship. We rejoin the story a few years later and learn the consequences of this decision.

Upon rejoining the story, we also meet Dominic Peyton, an extremely skilled First Lieutenant who lives for the sea. Shortly after boarding ship, Dominic feels a strange pull towards the captain's cabin boy, George. In George he sees a friendless young boy, woefully out of his element, 100% not suited to sea life, stuck on board a ship. Dominic reaches out and befriends the, er, lad -- and then the story truly begins.

Side note: I was a little concerned how the love story would play out as it begins with Dominic believing that Georgana is a young boy. Please know that it follows a very proper path!

In addition to our main focus, we also see Georgana build another unlikely friendship that strengthens through intense conflict. Her moral character sees her through some extremely dark times, including harsh and prolonged verbal & (mostly alluded to) physical abuse during childhood. With Dominic's help, Georgana learns to not take guidance from her tyrannical inner critic. As a result, Georgana perseveres through self-doubt and fear, maturing into a strong young woman.

Dominic holds an unwavering sense of responsibility towards those he treasures, and he selflessly makes some hard life choices to better the lives of others. On multiple occasions we also see Dominic treating members of the crew with kindness, while a fellow officer lashes out in cruelty. We can learn so much from the actions of both Dominic and Georgana.

It has been a long while since I've read a book set at sea and found myself frequently Googling the definitions of various nautical terms. Thank you, author, for adding in these details rather than dumbing down the story. We witness some intense moments and again the author does not shy away from reality. Illness strikes. Battles and freak accidents injure. People die. In all cases the author takes care to not describe any of those occurrences in graphic detail. Those dark moments happen but are not glorified.

Sometimes when I pick up a book I find myself almost skim-reading by the end. Not in this case. I was enraptured by the plot and found myself slowly savoring every chapter. Multiple evenings, my mind would continue on with introspection after sitting the book down for the night. After finishing my advance reader copy, I immediately pre-ordered the paperback edition. This one is a keeper and re-reader.

Thank you, author and publisher, for sharing an advance copy in exchange for a review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Georgana’s secret is part of the Proper Romance series. It has a unique pretense. It’s 1811, and Georgiana Woodall is living on her father’s ship, HMS Deborah, in disguise. He is the captain, and she is George, his cabin boy. If this secret were to become known, her reputation would be destroyed. They guard their secret carefully, and it’s decided that this will be George’s last voyage before making her debut in society.

Lieutenant Dominic Peyton is dedicated to the Navy and his career at sea. He’s the new first officer on board, and he becomes an unlikely mentor to young George, who is getting picked on by the other young boys on the ship. They form a friendship, and Lieutenant Peyton eventually puts enough clues together to discover that George is in fact a young lady. He keeps his discovery to himself as he tries to discover the reason for the deception. He struggles to protect her and still keep her identity under wraps.

There are more than friends feelings, yet both parties find themselves in an impossible situation. The captain doesn’t think L Peyton is a good influence on George, and he fears the clever lieutenant will unravel their secret. He tries to put a stop to their friendship. I recommend reading this one to find out how everything works out in the end.

I received a complimentary advance copy of this book from the publisher for review purposes. My review reflects my honest opinion.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for giving me the chance to read this before publication!

I've been enjoying the titles I've read in the Proper Romance line, and while I enjoyed this as well, it feels more like plain old historical fiction than a romance - for the first three-quarters, at least. The plot, that Georgeana's father has spirited her away from her abusive grandmother to live at sea with him disguised as a cabin boy, is one that does a good job of combining the "girl at sea" trope with what more of the realities of actually doing so might have entailed. The toll her grandmother's abuse took on Georgeana doesn't magically go away (to the point where her defining moment of courage feels a bit less triumphant than it might have, but it really is more believable for the character) and the strain of hiding his daughter definitely wears on her father, who believably retreats into his shell over the course of the novel. The hero, Dominic, is definitely a busybody, which trait did not endear him to me (full disclosure: I was sort of hoping she'd end up with Fitz the formerly-evil cabin boy), so I wasn't as invested in the outcome of the romance as I might have been.

But the writing is strong throughout and Georgeana is a heroine who doesn't need to be a Strong Female Character to carry her part of the story, and the real victory is over herself. That may not be traditional in a romance, but it does make the book a success in my eyes.

This is not your typical Regency romance. Georgana is 18 and has been at sea for three years serving as cabin boy to her father the captain of the HMS Deborah. She joined her father after the death of her mother and to get away from an abusive grandmother. She poses as George to all the crew. Lieutenant Dominic Peyton is new to the ship. He loves the sea and takes a friendly interest in George as he sees her mistreated by fellow crew mates.

The many details of the ship and life aboard enhance the story. During the voyage to and from Antigua there is illness, death, and cannon battles. It made for an exciting adventure. The romance was handled well, particularly in how Dominic comes to realize George's secret.

I did have a few questions that weren't answered by the end of the book. What was the mysterious illness? Why wasn't the Captain more aware of how George was treated by the crew? Could family members of the Captain travel on ship or only spouses?

Overall I really enjoyed this book and look forward to future books by the author. It is refreshingly clean for language and sex and has mildly graphic battle scenes. Thank you Net Galley and Shadow Mountain for the ARC ebook in exchange for an honest review.

A different kind of tale. Georgana is the daughter of a captain in the British Navy in command of a frigate. She and her mother live with their grandmother while he is at sea. She is cold and heartless. When her mother dies, she comes aboard the ship as a cabin boy. For three years she has kept her disguise. Lieutenant Dominick Peyton is married to the sea. He adores his widowed mother and provides for her. He joins Georgana’s father’s ship aNd meets “George”, the cabin boy. A friendship develops during their voyage that leads to an HEA. Sweet story.

I love how the Proper Romance series keeps expanding its collection of authors!
This was the first time I've read this author (I'm not sure though if this is her first published book). I've read a few books where a woman was disguised as a man for some reason or another but I think this was the first where it was done with a guardians permission. It's usually that they have no guardian and therefore no other choice. I liked that Dominic figured out Georgana's secret but kept it to himself for her sake. I liked that the story had action but wasn't overly violent or graphic. Overall I would give it a solid 4 stars and would happily recommend to others.

Story in 1810 Navy ship set for Antigua from England. I enjoyed this #ProperRomance so much but I will admit, I had to Google a bunch of the sailing terms to be able to understand and get a clear picture at times.

“As a young girl, Georgana Woodall had 2 loving parents but with her father a Capitan in the Navy. However, when her mother dies, she cannot face a future under the guardianship of her abusive grandmother and instead chooses to join her father on his ship disguised as his cabin boy, “George.”

Lieutenant Dominic Payton has only one love, the sea! With his dedication to His Majesty’s Royal Navy claiming his full attention. Determined to prove himself to his new captain, he strives to be an exemplary officer and leader. When he sees the captain’s cabin boy being harassed by the crew, he immediately puts a stop to it and takes the “boy” under his wing. After discovering several clues, Dominic deduces that George is really a woman. Knowing that revealing the cabin boy’s secret would put her in danger from the rowdy crew, Dominic keeps silent and hides his growing affection for her.”

To escape her terrible grandmother Georgana and her father form the perfect plan, and for three years they have been successful; but secrets are lonely and Georgana longs for more for her life.

An adventurous regency story unlike any I’ve read before!

Absolutely spellbinding! I could not put this book down.
Imagine being a young woman and hiding that fact from all around you except your father. Imagine hiding that on a ship of the British Royal Navy in 1810 being surround totally by a male crew. If you are discovered it would mean social ruin or worse. That is the life Georganna, or George as her father calls her, finds herself in. Escaping from a physically and emotionally abusive grandmother she finds herself in disguise on the ship her father captains. She is shielded as much as possible from the crew, assigned to be the captain’s cabin “boy”. Given lighter duties and when in battle, assigned to the safest duty area. Still the secret and fear of discovery weigh on her making her wonder if returning to her grandmother’s and hoping for a quick marriage might be preferable. Then a new first lieutenant, Dominic Peyton, is assigned to her father’s ship and as their relationship grows so do her fears and longing for release from the charade she finds herself in. But she does not want a husband in the Navy. Mix in attacks by privateers, an onboard illness that can be fatal, bullying from other boys assigned to the ship and an attempted mutiny and you have a book you won’t want to set down. I was given a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

I knew as soon as I read the synopsis that I would enjoy this book. This is one of the more wholesome and authentic historical romance novels I’ve read. All of the lead characters have clear and pure intentions and their goal is to be upstanding as possible.

I loved the way Hawk penned this book. The dialogue, the slow and tense build of romance, and the subtle ways the characters expressed affection and adoration.

Georgana and Peyton were perfect characters. They found connection beyond lust as their relationship began as friendship and grew into a dependency. Their love was organic and fresh. I found this to be a much welcomed novel with the tendency for romance to deliver many lines about swelling bosoms and straining pants.

I would love to read more by this author and I’d recommend this book ten times over.

I’ll write a more much formal review with synopsis and character analysis much later.

"Georgana's Secret" is a Regency romance with most of the plot unfolding on a British Navy ship. While ballroom dances and rides in Hyde Park are sometimes enjoyable story events, this novel has none of those. Instead, there are battles, grave illnesses and injuries, and even an attempted mutiny.

Hawks paints a vivid picture of life on a Royal Navy frigate. This novel is well-researched and full of nautical terms. From raising sails and scrubbing decks, to tapping biscuits to remove weevils before eating said biscuits, life upon the seas was hard and demanding.

The characters are well-drawn. Georgana Woodall and Lieutenant Dominic Peyton are wonderful together, even when she was "George". He teaches her to defend herself, which is all the more touching given that Georgana's abusive grandmother called her a "mistake". While all secondary characters are multi-faceted, Fitz stood out for me.

This Proper Romance features lovely prose and is well-edited. It is also clean. If you are looking for rainbows and unicorns, you will not find them here. However, if you want a believable romance set against a realistic, historical backdrop, this is the book for you.

Thanks to NetGalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for an ARC of this enjoyable novel.

This was definitely a unique take on a Regency era book and I really loved that! Georgana sneaks on her father’s ship as a cabin boy George where she meets Lt. Dominic Peyton.

Their relationship, both the development of it and it’s continue md growth during the story was wonderfully done. Most importantly to me though was how well written they were as individual characters who not only found love and acceptance with each other, but also became stronger characters on their own as the book progressed.

The writing and characterization was fantastic so I’ll certainly be reading more books by Arlem Hawks!

There is SO much to love about Georgana’s Secret by Arlem Hawks. First, the story is HIGHLY engaging. The pages flew by in this novel because the action is non-stop: there’s a strange illness onboard the HMS Deborah that’s only hitting a certain part of the crew, there are battles on the high sea with the French, and there’s mutiny. There are adventures in Antigua, learning to stand up against bullies, and a seriously sweet romance. I read 70% of this book in one sitting because I could not put it down! In addition to the storyline, I absolutely love the way characters relate in this novel. The camaraderie of most of the crew onboard the HMS Deborah is fun to imagine. The interaction between George and her father, Captain Woodall, appears stiff and formal, but in reality, it is exceptionally evident how much he cares for his child. And, how Georgana and Dominic’s relationship blossoms from friendship to romance is great. The Victor/Victoria relationship in this book works really well and progresses nicely. I especially enjoyed the intelligent journey Dominic takes to figure out who George truly is. And, the historical and nautical details are rich. The detail is written so vividly I felt like I was on board with the crew of the HMS Deborah. Working a boat in the 1800s was an insanely arduous task, and Hawks does a stellar job of portraying this.

Lieutenant Dominic Peyton is an excellent hero. There is so much to love about his character. His attention to detail is wonderful. He’s not an “actions first, questions later” kind of guy. Dominic is a man who watches and listens, makes intelligent assessments based on what he hears and sees, and then moves to action. I LOVE how unselfish he is. Once he learns George’s secret he feels he must have answers, but before he confronts anyone he metaphorically steps into George’s and her father’s shoes and looks at the situation from their perspectives. What he “discovers” from standing in their shoes for a moment is that they need protection. Dominic is a protector to his core, and some of my most favorite moments in this novel are when he comes to George’s defense (both before and after he finds out who she is). This, more than the swoony kisses and heartfelt words, makes Dominic a perfect hero in my humble opinion. Swoony kisses and heartfelt words are great, but truly seeing and understanding someone is the best show of love one person can give to another.

I have to mention how much I love Georgana’s character. She is AWESOME. If I had to boil her character down to one word, that word would be resilient. Georgana is a character who gets beat up a lot, and I don’t mean metaphorically. She is the quintessential underdog. She is an 18-year-old girl posing as a boy on her father’s ship in 1811. Ironically, she is doing it for her safety. In this world, Georgana gets knocked down often but she always gets back up. She is a true fighter and she is not afraid to fight for what is good and what is right, and later she is not afraid to fight for love. Georgana is definitely the perfect heroine for Dominic.

Georgana’s Secret by Arlem Hawks is a great historical romance that I cannot recommend enough. It’s a fun, adventurous romance that will have the reader turning pages well into the night. If you are in the mood for a swashbuckling adventure with a sweet romance and timely themes then Georgana’s Secret is the book for you!

I received a review copy of this novel in eBook form from the publisher, Shadow Mountain Publishers, via NetGalley. In no way has this influenced my review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.

This was a great read and one of the better Regency novels that I've encountered in some time. I really appreciated the character development that unfolded throughout the story and thought that the overall concept (exploring navy life through the eyes of a woman) was a unique and refreshing take! I also appreciated how much of a slow burn this was; the ending did not disappoint! I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I must say I am a sucker for the unconventional romance. This one was absolutely fabulous and had everything a good sea story should. Storms, battles, Privateers, and mutineers. There was illness and death, but this was not just any adventure on the high seas, this one had secrets and romance.

Lieutenant Peyton thought he was trying to protect the Captain's cabin boy, George, but there was more to George than meets the eye. George was Georgana who had been whisked away in the night to protect her from her abusive grandmother. Peyton teaches her to defend herself against the other ships boys who dislike her for the captain's favor of her.

Arlem Hawks wove a magnificent tale of adventure and deception and delivered a happy ever after that was as unconventional as the rest of the story. With so many stories of romance out there, it is refreshing when one comes along that is very different than the stories that I am used to. A little adventure always livens things up fabulously.

I received an early copy through NetGalley and this is my honest review.

The characters in this story were well written and played well off each other. I liked the character arcs in the novel. The growth in the characters was well done. I liked the tension both between the "good guys" and the villain & the hero and heroine in the story. This was my first book by Hawks, but i will definitely look for more in the future

I really enjoyed this historical romance and the authors writing style! The love story was very sweet and I thoroughly enjoyed experiencing life abroad a ship!

This book was amazing! I loved seeing the perspective of life at sea and how challenging that can be. I have a brother in law in the Navy and it was cool to experience the perspective! I highly recommend!

<b> 3.5 stars </b>

<b> Thank you to Netgalley for providing me an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. </b>

This was a cute book if you like proper romances, but the plot dragged in some paces, and the romance was a little too cheesy for me.

It reminded me of a regency era She's the Man, honestly. I kept picturing Channing Tatum as the love interest, and that was enough to keep me going.

One part of this book that rubbed me the wrong way was the abusive grandmother. I felt like her character was just textbook evil. She was a horrible character, but more in an eye-rolling, irritating sort of way. Her horribleness was very exaggerated. I honestly didn't find it very believable that Georgana's only option to escape her was to go aboard the ship with her father.

Georgana's Secret a quick and easy read for summer, though!

Georgana must find a way to escape Lushill House and the cruel Grandmother she lives with while her father is at sea. With no other options she finds herself aboard her father’s ship disguised as his cabin boy, “George”.

Life on board is difficult for George who does her best to stay in the shadows away from everyone who likes to make her life miserable as a lowly ranked shipmate. That is until Lieutenant Dominic Peyton shows up and decides to teach George how to stand up for “himself” and be more than just a 3rd class ship’s boy. After spending time together Dominic uncovers Georgana’s secret. A secret that would be more dangerous for everyone if anyone else found out.

I cannot give enough praise for Georgana’s Secret. It is one of the best books I have read in a long time and definitely makes my top 10 list of favorite proper romance books and is 100% re-read worthy! The writing is descriptive, the flow is perfection, and the characters will make you feel all the feels. I stayed up late to finish reading and happily put life on hold because I couldn’t, and didn’t want to put it down.

This will be a book that I will need in all formats because the cover is gorgeous and with an electronic copy I’ll be able to take it with me wherever I go.

I’d like to thank NetGalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for an ARC in exchange for my honest review!

Georgana definitely has a secret! I really enjoyed this book! Georgana has a terrible grandmother that is mean and abusive. To get away from her, her father, a ship's captain, steals her away to be on his ship...as a cabin boy. For three years she is on this ship as George, and nobody figures it out. Until a new lieutenant, Dominic Peyton arrives as second in command. It takes a while, but eventually he can tell that she is truly the captain's daughter, not a distant relative of his. After being attacked by pirates, then enduring a mutiny on ship, they finally make it back to England, then decide what their future will be. Exciting adventure I really loved reading! An excellent clean tale!

Georgana's story is one full of heartache and hope. Ms. Harlem has written a beautiful story that strays from the typical stow away female at sea. Instead, Georgana is knowingly on the ship by the captain her own father, as a away to protect her from more dangerous family troubles on land. Of course the sea is a dangerous place in it's own right for a female, so Georgana assumes the role of George and no one is the wiser. That is until Lieutenant Dominic Peyton catches on to who George really is. You will not be able to put this book down and you will love every minute of how Dominic comes to care deeply for Georgana and her for him in return. The tension of battle will have to on the edge of your seat, hopeful and fearful all at once. Such a lovely story that provides a great escape for any Regency novel reader.

#netgalley #georganassecret

This book was tricky for me. I think the storyline is cute and unique, the characters were well developed. I quite enjoyed this story!

Really entertaining book. I loved the secrecy, the camaraderie, and the courage. It was a fun journey with the main characters.

I received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.

Georgans’s Secret by Arlem Hawks

The author has masterful creativity with her characters and the flow of the book. She doesn’t miss out on how to grow them or her pull to keep the readers enticed to keep turning the pages!
I wanted to know how the relationship between “George “ and Dominic was going to happen amongst all the sailors and go undetected. What happened to the evil grandmother? Stay tuned because as you know the wicked come back time and time again! How will her father protect her without letting the crew figure out that she is a girl. You all know that daddy’s are partial to their little girls.

Can you imagine being stuck on this ship with nobody to commiserate with other than your father who I am sure is busy and can’t be spending time with a crewman. How lonely for this girl, but then Dominic comes aboard!
The author takes it from there and you will not believe what adventures take place for a lonely Boy!
Excellent book!

Thank you to the authors and publishers who work diligently for us the readers.

I received an advanced copy from NetGalley and these are my willingly given thoughts and opinions.

I feel like I walked into the pages of a long lost Jane Austen book. This was one of the most adventurous and romantic stories I’ve had the pleasure of reading this year.
The perils of sea combined with George’s secret created the perfect blend of dramatic storytelling and adventure. The chemistry between Dominic and Georgana is exquisitely done. Regency storytelling at its finest. This is a book I will be reading over and over again. It is simply swoon-worthy!
I was given this copy through NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinions and review. All opinions expressed here are completely my own.

This book deserves applause! This is my first time reading Ms. Hawks and her fantastic novel on the high seas has put her squarely on my list of favorite authors to watch. I love Georgana and Dominic. Georgana is real and vulnerable and brave. Dominic is sweet and kind and strong. I love the dialogue and believe "a sound English cannon" may forever be one of my favorite literary lines. There's adventure and heartache, likeable friends and enemies you love to hate, and a driving plotline. This one was one I had trouble putting down. Definitely give this one a try; I'm heading to read her other books now.

Rated PG-13 for some war-time violence
--some violence with mild gore
--intense situations
--clean romance
--very mild language

I received this ebook free from NetGalley in return for an honest review. My opinions are my own.

I really liked this story. I enjoyed the plot and the characters and the action and romance. I’ve liked every story I’ve read by Ms. Hawks and look forward to more...

Georgana's Secret by Arlem Hawks is a lovely nautical historical romance with a sweet and protective Lieutenant and a brave but frightened third-class cabin boy (actually, a girl).

Georgana was the daughter of a Royal Navy Captain and suffered her whole life the abuse inflicted by her paternal grandmother every time her father was at sea.

Seeing her after a severe beating, her father decided to take her with him to his ship. To keep her safe and preserve her reputation, her father disguised her as a third-class cabin boy.

She stayed on the ship for three years, but things were getting difficult because she was bullied by the other cabin boys that understandably resented the special treatment she received from the captain.

When the second Lieutenant of the ship died, Lieutenant Peyton came in his place.

Peyton saw in Georgana a frightened boy and decided he would help him defend himself from the bullies. He also noticed the boy did not enjoy life at sea and put on his mind to convince the captain to place him somewhere on land after their journey was over.

Slowly Georgana started to open up to Peyton's care and affection, but she knew he only saw a boy while she began to have romantic feelings towards him.

Georgana's Secret is a lovely slow-burn romance. It was so sweet to see them getting to know one another, establish a strong friendship bond, and then connect in the deepest level.

I loved how all the story takes place onboard a ship—the daily struggles, the companionship, the illnesses, the sorrow, the deaths, the pain.

Lieutenant Peyton is the perfect hero. Lovely, sensible, honorable, and kind. Georgana is a person marked by her life experiences, but strong and determined to make a better future for herself.

I loved every page of this lovely tale, and I'm looking forward to reading other books by this author.

Highly Recommended!

Disclosure: I received an ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

*This review will be posted on https://lureviewsbooks.com on 01/12/2021*

Georgana has a lot of experience keeping secrets. She has had a pretty tough life. Through it all she has tried to keep a fairly positive attitude and a low profile. When she is befriended by Lieutenant Peyton after he sees her being mistreated by some of other boys on the ship, things get a bit complicated. She is drawn to him but she also needs to keep her distance so he doesn't figure out her secret. This is an interesting look into life at sea and the hardships faced. It is also a wonderful story of overcoming a difficult life and thriving. I really enjoyed this book. This is a clean romance.

George is a 3rd class ship's boy on a British warship in the 19th century. By all accounts, George is the Captain's favorite, but not good for much else. But is there more to George than meets the eye? What if the other sailors were to discover that George is not a ship's boy at all, but is rather very much a young lady? In Georgana's Secret the only way that young Georgana can escape the abuse of her grandmother is to steal away on a British warship with him. The ruse of her appearing as a ship's boy works well until Georgana meets the dashing and kind Lieutenant Peyton. Will Georgana manage to keep her secret? Fans of young adult historical fiction will enjoy this entertaining tale.

I enjoyed this book. The slow burn friendship to love between Georgana and Dominic was lovely. The “disguised as a boy on a ship” trope always stretches the imagination, but the author made it believable. When her mother dies, Georgana disguises herself as a boy so she can live with her father on his ship (he is a navy captain) - she cannot remain in town. Dominic, one of the ship’s officers, befriends her and ultimately guesses she is the captain’s daughter.

The descriptions of life in the navy, for both officers and families, and life aboard the ship brought the story to life. Can’t wait to read more from this author.

Naval Battles, Beautiful Antigua Beaches, and Hidden Love

Georgana Woodall escapes to the sea in disguise to live with her father, the captain, all in an effort to be protected from her evil abusive grandmother. As a ship’s boy, she meets the admirable and handsome Lieutenant Dominic Peyton who befriends “him” (Georgana) and teaches him to fight his battles instead of fleeing. Throughout the book, Lieutenant Dominic finds out her secret, and obviously things happen to make this a beautiful romance.

This book truly takes you through the real life of a navy frigate during the French and English quarrels of the 1810s. Arlem Hawks shows in her book how disease could ravage a ship, how battles destroyed families, and how mutinies occur. I learned so much from reading her book, and truly loved every minute of it! The only thing I would have liked is an image of a naval frigate in the book so that I could understand what each of the decks were. I had to do my own research to understand why the walls of the captains rooms could come off, and where on the boat all of the different things were located.

I enjoyed living through Georgana’s eyes, and the trials she faced living at sea with only men. I enjoyed seeing the beauty of a beach for the first time through her eyes. I enjoyed the love that was built through trust and loyalty. I could not put this book down! Truly one of the best ocean books I have read in a long time!

A special thank you to Shadow Mountain Publishing and Arlem Hawks for the digital ARC provided by Netgalley. All opinions are my own and in no way biased.