Mulan meets The Song of Achilles in Shelley Parker-Chan's She Who Became the Sun, a bold, queer, and lyrical reimagining of the rise of the founding emperor of the Ming Dynasty from an amazing new voice in literary fantasy.
To possess the Mandate of Heaven, the female monk Zhu will do anything
“I refuse to be nothing…”
In a famine-stricken village on a dusty yellow plain, two children are given two fates. A boy, greatness. A girl, nothingness…
In 1345, China lies under harsh Mongol rule. For the starving peasants of the Central Plains, greatness is something found only in stories. When the Zhu family’s eighth-born son, Zhu Chongba, is given a fate of greatness, everyone is mystified as to how it will come to pass. The fate of nothingness received by the family’s clever and capable second daughter, on the other hand, is only as expected.
When a bandit attack orphans the two children, though, it is Zhu Chongba who succumbs to despair and dies. Desperate to escape her own fated death, the girl uses her brother's identity to enter a monastery as a young male novice. There, propelled by her burning desire to survive, Zhu learns she is capable of doing whatever it takes, no matter how callous, to stay hidden from her fate.
After her sanctuary is destroyed for supporting the rebellion against Mongol rule, Zhu takes the chance to claim another future altogether: her brother's abandoned greatness.
- National print and online publicity campaign
- National print and online consumer advertising including vendors such as The Mary Sue, Autostraddle, Wattpad, Tumblr, Instagram, BookRiot, Paste and more
- Prepublication trade and consumer buzz campaign, including trade and consumer advertising including Goodreads, Shelf Awareness, NetGalley, and BookRiot
- ARC outreach to booksellers, librarians, SFF tastemakers, and LGBTQ outlets
- Indie Next campaign
- Curated influencer mailing targeting Bookstagrammers, Booktubers, and BookTok tastemakers
- #StealGreatness digital marketing campaign featuring review quote and teaser cards, author interviews, videos and essays, quizzes, lists, mood boards, character guides, sweepstakes, and social media takeovers
- Digital preview
- LGBTQIA+ reader outreach
- Tor.com promotions including excerpts and review