Why We Fought

Inspiring Stories of Resisting Hitler and Defending Freedom

Pub Date 05 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 19 Oct 2021

Talking about this book? Use #WhyWeFought #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The struggle to combat the Nazis during World War II encompassed front lines far beyond conventional battlefields. In a panoramic and compelling account, author Jerry Borrowman shares seven largely untold stories of people who undertook extraordinary efforts to defeat the Third Reich at enormous personal risk.

Some were soldiers like the Ghost Army, an eclectic group of former artists, actors, and engineers who engaged in top-secret tactical deceptions by staging ingenious decoy armies. Using inflatable tanks, radio transmissions, and sound effects, they were able to trick the Germans throughout the course of the war, often working close to the front lines of the fiercest fighting.

Some were ordinary citizens like William Sebold, a German immigrant and US citizen, who could have been a deadly foe, but instead chose the Allied cause. When he was coerced by the Gestapo into becoming a spy in America, he instead approached the FBI and offered to become a double agent. His efforts successfully helped bring down a dangerous German spy network that was dedicated to stealing industrial and wartime secrets and sabotaging America on home soil.

These dramatic and inspiring personal stories shed light on some of the darkest days of World War II and one of the most perilous times in human history. As the Nazis swept through Europe, citizens around the world faced an individual and national complex moral question: How do you respond to the tyranny and bloodthirsty madness of the Nazis? These are stories of ordinary men and women who would not surrender or compromise. They resisted and fought with total commitment for freedom and democracy despite the personal cost.

Why We Fought by Jerry Borrowman is an excellent nonfiction that is a collection of short stories, biographies, and true stories of real people that helped turn the tide and helped the Allies triumph WWII. This is such a great collection of stories. Nothing is too long or too detailed, yet they are not too short or glossed over. The author has collected a nice array of true stories of real people that were true heroes in their own right that helped do their part in the war. We find that it doesn’t matter where they came from, who they were, or what their “humble” or not so humble beginnings might have been, each felt within themselves the greater good and the need to do something about it. I loved the wonderful spectrum of individuals selected, some I had heard of, but most I had not. Appropriate not only for historians, but also the average enthusiast as well. I especially enjoyed the chapter on Marlene Dietrich. This book really left me grateful and inspired. 5/5 stars Thank you NG and Shadow Mountain Publishing for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion. I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication.

nonfiction, historical-figures, historical-places-events, historical-research, history-and-culture, Europe, Spain, Hungary, 20th-century, bravery, false-information, fake-troops, double-agent, human-rights, diplomat***** Virginia Hall is the first person detailed and a determined woman who worked tirelessly for the British and American intelligence communities and the French Resistance fighters. William Sebold became a double agent and, while very successful, sacrificed his health and sanity in the cause of defeating Hitler. Marlene Dietrich was a surprise to me. The extravagant actress did a lot more than entertain the troops and was honored by both the US and England after the war. Carl Lutz was a swiss diplomat in Hungary who secreted Jews and others scheduled for extinction in Hungary regardless of orders from his own country. Ghost Army and other fantasies were perpetrated but a man who appeared to be a double agent but was really blowing smoke at the German high command. This Spaniard's name was Juan Pujol. The last chapter contains even more people and heroes. Some of the information is new to me, but not that of Virginia Hall. The writing style is engaging and kept me riveted all afternoon. Never forget. Never again. I requested and received a free temporary ebook copy from Shadow Mountain Publishing via NetGalley. Thank you

Why We Fought follows the story of women who fought for the Allies during WWII. The book follows several outstanding women who played a part in the fight against the Axis countries. I found this book incredibly compelling. I learned more about names I was familiar with such as Marlene Dietrich and others I was unfamiliar with. I'm extremely content with this book. I feel it represents an emerging niche of historical work honouring the place of women and nonbinary people during historical periods where they were previously overlooked. Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Great book on World War II stories that are rarely mentioned. Most do not know the things that went on behind the scenes during the war. This would be a great book to use in addition to World War II materials for students to do research on the topics included.

Thank you net galley for the advance reader copy of this novel. This was an excellent non-fiction book about WWII and the motivations behind people joining the fight. I liked chapters 1 and 3 best. The author did an excellent job researching facts. It would have been easy to make this read like a textbook but not the case. Great facts presented in a narrative style.

I first saw this book just after binge watching Band of Brothers for the 5th or 6th time since it came out. I knew immediately this book would be perfect follow up reading. Why We Fought gathers seven stories of people who went above and beyond to assist the Allies during WWII. Most of the people I had never heard of before. Their stories are so interesting and definitely heroic. One story I had definitely heard before -- Marlene Dietrich. Borrowman definitely did in-depth research on all seven. The stories are detailed, informative and amazing! This is the first book by Jerry Borrowman that I've read. He's written several military history books and even one about Hoover Dam. I'm definitely reading more of his books. I like his writing style. Sometimes history gets bogged down in facts and gets to be like reading a textbook. Borrowman keeps the topic interesting while still be incredibly informative. **I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Shadow Mountain Publishing. All opinions expressed are entirely my own**

This was an interesting set of vignettes on various people who participated in WWII. It felt like most of it was just summaries and overviews of previously written books with little research done by the author himself. It read as a good introduction to some of these topics for middle grades.

In Why We Fought Jerry Borrowman collects seven stories of mostly non-combatant heroism during World War II. These stories feature spies, a movie star and USO performer who raised money for war bonds, a diplomat whose courage is credited with saving over 70,000 Jewish lives, captured French government officials, and two whole Army divisions made up of “ghosts”. This is a relatively short book at 208 pages. Each of it's stories is self-contained and pretty well told. One minor criticism is that some of the stories are broken up by bios of the players involved. These bios are set off with bolded subtitles and tend to be overly long, with information not necessarily germane to the story at hand. I couldn’t figure out if Borrowman was padding each story or trying to keep it short by doing this. For me, these blocks of text interrupted the flow, and my enjoyment of the book. Yet I did enjoy reading this book. It made for some relatively light reading on a couple of summer afternoons. It’s not a profound read, and I don’t think that’s the author’s intent. I think the primary audience for this book would be teenage readers who are just learning about the history of World War II and are interested in some inspirational or “human interest” stories. As an aside - I often wonder why books are subtitled as they are because. For many of the books that I’ve read, the subtitles don’t actually explain or describe the content of the book. In this case the subtitle “Inspiring Stories of Resisting Hitler and Defending Freedom” is spot on. It’s the title that seems a bit off. Borrowman does a great job taking us through the seven tales he tells, but he doesn’t delve too deeply into why the people involved did what they did, and he doesn’t try to find any commonality or overriding reason why they fought, nor relate it to a “We” that is not defined anywhere in the book.

This book read more like a history book than a novel- that being said I did enjoy it. Each chapter is a new short story the first few were ok, but once you get to chapters 4, 5 and 6 they really get good. Some of those I had to go and research a bit after reading- I’ve never heard of some of those stories. It would be awesome if someone would make a movie out of these. It was inspiring to read about how normal, everyday people helped to fight the war in such brave and creative ways. I do wish there had been some clarification on some of the military terminology (titles and such). This book made me grateful for all the sacrifices people made for the freedoms we all enjoy.

I have always been touched by the kind, compassionate people who performed heroic feats during World War II. This collection of stories featured many individuals and groups that were previously unknown to me. Their stories were well researched, and I appreciated that the sections were not too long and could be read in one sitting. I especially loved the section about the Ghost Army! I thought it was fascinating that they were so good at creating fake, believable troops. My only complaint is that the stories leaned a little on the factual side. The title, Why We Fought, implies a more personal and emotional side of the stories. The actual book didn't get into the motivations or emotions of many of the men and women. These individuals and groups saved lives with their amazing, heroic actions - it would have been even more interesting to know more them, deeper than just the facts. Despite this, it was a very captivating book! I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in WWII. Thank you to Shadow Mountain Publishing, NetGalley, and the author for a chance to read this book in exchange for my honest opinions.