The Last House on the Street

A Novel

Pub Date 11 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 25 Jan 2022

A community’s past sins rise to the surface in New York Times bestselling author Diane Chamberlain’s The Last House on the Street when two women, a generation apart, find themselves bound by tragedy and an unsolved, decades-old mystery.

1965

Growing up in the well-to-do town of Round Hill, North Carolina, Ellie Hockley was raised to be a certain type of proper Southern lady. Enrolled in college and all but engaged to a bank manager, Ellie isn’t as committed to her expected future as her family believes. She’s chosen to spend her summer break as a volunteer helping to register black voters. But as Ellie follows her ideals fighting for the civil rights of the marginalized, her scandalized parents scorn her efforts, and her neighbors reveal their prejudices. And when she loses her heart to a fellow volunteer, Ellie discovers the frightening true nature of the people living in Round Hill.

2010

Architect Kayla Carter and her husband designed a beautiful house for themselves in Round Hill’s new development, Shadow Ridge Estates. It was supposed to be a home where they could raise their three-year-old daughter and grow old together. Instead, it’s the place where Kayla’s husband died in an accident—a fact known to a mysterious woman who warns Kayla against moving in. The woods and lake behind the property are reputed to be haunted, and the new home has been targeted by vandals leaving threatening notes. And Kayla’s neighbor Ellie Hockley is harboring long buried secrets about the dark history of the land where her house was built.

Two women. Two stories. Both on a collision course with the truth--no matter what that truth may bring to light--in Diane Chamberlain's riveting, powerful novel about the search for justice.

PRICE CA$36.99 (CAD)

Diane Chamberlain does it again! She is flawless at weaving together the past and present in a way that hooks readers and keeps them engaged! I will read anything by her!

I loved this book. Read it in one sitting. Hard topic to touch on but was so beautifully written. The characters pull you right in to their lives. Was grateful to receive an arc of this book. Love this author she never seems to disappoint. Thanks to the author, the publisher and NetGalley for an early release of this book.

Diane Chamberlain transports us back so rawly to 1965. You feel the fear and hatred and passion of all the characters, and hate and fear and love equally for them. The story is told in alternating timelines as we wait for the past and present to collide, and collide it does. The pace of the book is perfect. A quick read (because you won’t want to put it down) We get to know each of the characters and wish we could have more time with them (the good ones 😉). I’ve long been a fan of Diane Chamberlain and her newest novel does not disappoint. What does disappoint, however, is that some of the freedoms people fought for in 1965 are still being fought for today.

This book tells the story of small towns of the 60's in the south during civil rights, issues of the heart and hurtful secrets. Diane takes us back and forth between the mid 60's to today. With the struggle of one to help with the racial injustice while her family and friends turn away and today how a new widower causes the past to jump back but with the truth. There is murder, lies, mistrust and resolution. Highly recommend reading this and any of Diane Chamberlain's books.

Absolutely wrecked. This book was perfectly and emotionally written. I don’t think she could have written a better story. Five million stars and all the feels for this book. Thank you NetGalley for this arc in exchange for an honest review.

I received a complimentary copy of The Last House on the Street from NetGalley.  Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own. Where to begin?! This is another fantastically written novel by one of my favorite authors, Diane Chamberlain. She has an innate ability to allow the reader to connect on a deeper level with her characters. In this book, I found myself especially drawn to the historical part of the dual timeline. Ellie’s love story and the mystery from her youth kept me riveted throughout the unfolding of the entire tangled plot. This is a great book, that I will likely read again soon!

I received an ARC of THE LAST HOUSE ON THE STREET by Diane Chamberlain. This dual storyline novel blends genres to tell the story of two different woman living on the same street in NC in different decades. Ellie’s story is a historical novel set in the turbulent 60s. She is a NC college student who signs up to work with a civil rights group putting her in the path of violence, bigotry & hatred. Kayla’s story is a contemporary thriller. She is a young widow who moves into a new house with her small child. Strange things start to happen escalating into disturbing vandalism. Ellie and Kayla’s stories converge in this gripping tale that kept me reading into the night. This novel is scheduled to be released January 11, 2022.⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Diane Chamberlain’s book “The Last House on the Street”, was a hard to put down novel, that takes the reader back and forth from 1965 to 2010. Ms. Chamberlain does an excellent job depicting life in North Carolina during the 1960’s and the civil unrest and racism that commonly tolerated. I am never disappointed by Diane Chamberlain’s book, and ‘The Last House on the Street” was no exception. Highly recommend this book.