Trailer Park Trickster

Pub Date 12 Oct 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #TrailerParkTrickster #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

They are my harvest, and I will reap them all.

Returning to Guthrie, Oklahoma for the funeral of his mysterious and beloved Aunt Sue, Adam Binder once again finds himself in the path of deadly magic when a dark druid begins to prey on members of Adam’s family. It all seems linked to the death of Adam’s father many years ago—a man who may have somehow survived as a warlock.

Watched by the police, separated from the man who may be the love of his life, compelled to seek the truth about his connection to the druid, Adam learns more about his family and its troubled history than he ever bargained for, and finally comes face to face with the warlock he has vowed to stop.

Meanwhile, beyond the Veil of the mortal world, Argent the Queen of Swords and Vic the Reaper undertake a dangerous journey to a secret meeting of the Council of Races . . . where the sea elves are calling for the destruction of humanity.

They are my harvest, and I will reap them all.

Advance Praise

“[A] thrilling, well-crafted sequel…An emotionally rich page-turner.”

-Publishers Weekly

“Slayton crafts a setting rich in grit and grime and Americana kitsch that’s as much a character as gay warlock Adam Binder in this, Trailer Park Trickster, the exciting follow-up in the Adam Binder Novels.”

-C. S. Poe, author of the Magic & Steam series

In Trailer Park Trickster, David R. Slayton doubles down on everything that made his first book great…I can’t wait for more!”

-Gregory Ashe, author of the Hazard and Somerset mysteries

“The complex worldbuilding, well-shaded depictions of poverty, emotional nuance, and thrilling action sequences make this stand out. Slayton is sure to win plenty of fans.”

-Publishers Weekly (starred review) on White Trash Warlock

“White Trash Warlock is wild and weird and way too much fun. Dark, funny, and full of devious twists. Highly recommended!”

-Jonathan Maberry, New York Times bestselling author of Rage and V-Wars

“Slayton’s book gathers up pretty much every modern fantasy trope, turns them upside down, and shakes them…The elves who show up would have Tolkien rolling in his grave, which is my highest endorsement, and the LGBTQIA+ rep is all around outstanding.”

-BookRiot on White Trash Warlock

“[A] thrilling, well-crafted sequel…An emotionally rich page-turner.”

-Publishers Weekly

Marketing Plan

-Major prepublication buzz and outreach

-National and regional features, interviews, and reviews

-Fantasy buzz mailing

-Social media and digital ad campaign

-Featured title at industry, bookseller, and library trade shows

-Author website: DavidRSlayton.com

-Author Twitter: @drslayton

-Author Instagram: @slaytondavidr

-Also available: White Trash Warlock

-Major prepublication buzz and outreach

-National and regional features, interviews, and reviews

-Fantasy buzz mailing

-Social media and digital ad campaign

-Featured title at industry, bookseller, and...

Send To Kindle (PDF)

I ADORED White Trash Warlock, and Adam Binder is the sweetest most chaotic cinnamon role there is. And Trailer Park Trickster only delivered more of Adam and the world that David has built. And this extending of the world building is what I love most about TPT. In WTW we see small glimpses of the grand magical world that exist in Adam Binder's life, but in this sequel we dive into. The plot thickens, and we see more of how the magical races live and act. Adam's core story is close to home. He sit hunting down a druid hell bent on harming his family. And Adam is the only one that can deal with it. But we see the threads of a greater story being told in the background. Of elves and magical worlds that are a wonder to picture. David has a vivid vision of his world, and captures it neatly on the page. Mysteries abound that are yet undiscovered, and like WTW we are left on a cliffhanger that has left me wanting more more more! What is Adam willing to give to help those he loves? That is always the question of Adam Binder. If you loved WTW you will be obsessed with TPT. If you, like me, wanted more details about the magical world of Adam Binder, you will get those in this book. Now, the wait for book three...

Thank you so so much to the publisher and NetGalley for an eARC in exchange for an honest review. Trailer Park Trickster picks up where White Trash Warlock left us. We follow Adam back to Guthrie in hopes of finding the druid responsible for Mercy as well as the sudden curse of death upon his family. He is joined by Vic and his Brother Bobby and mother as he works to uncover the identity of the druid darkening his doorstep. Will Adam be able to keep his family safe? Or will it be the end of the line for the Binders? These books, man. I am awestruck at the level of writing the author has poured into these books. Adam is such a lovable kickass character who you just want to be around. Even as a fly on the wall you feel swept up and blessed to be witnessing him and his Sight. He is beautifully flawed, a work in progress, but one you can't help but put full faith in. Vic comes into his own in this novel as well. When relationship turmoil rears its ugly head it is great to see him work through his own "stuff" while still staying true to who he is at his core. The elven brother(as well as ex) and sister are back in full swing, preventing Armageddon-like happenings on the Other Side as well as a brewing civil war between clans. While this seems like alot going on, it is the perfect balance. The pacing keeps you on your toes and reveal after reveal keeps you salivating for just one more chapter. I am trying to hold myself together knowing that it could be a year and two months wait for Deadbeat Druid, so I'll just sit here praying to the ARC Gods that they may smile upon me like they did for the first two in this series. Grab a copy for yourself, your best friend, your awkward coworker, your dog, anyone who loves a phenomenal story wrapped in a magical bow. There is something for absolutely everyone in these books, you're.doing yourself an injustice if you don't read them. In the somewhat tweaked words of Matthew Mercer: Is it October 2022 yet?

AHHHHH! This book series is KILLING ME! It's so good! I loved the first book White Trash Warlock and this follow-up doesn't miss a beat. Adam Binder = My Heart. I find this author's writing style to be both humorous and impactful/meaningful. These characters are so complex and so well-written. Love this series!

This was a wonderful fast-paced book that started straight after the first one, Adam goes home to Oklahoma to confront his family history and the evil that has been stalking him from the last book. I felt like I had to take breaks reading this book because my heart was racing so much. There were no dull moments for time to rest. This book developed both Adam and a character and his relationship with Vic. It also expanded our knowledge of the magical world a little more. I wish it had a little more development with his brother since the last book has so much focus on that. The book could have been longer with some downtime to focus on that and give the reader some time to breathe. It ended on a cliffhanger and I am excited to continue this series but hate that I have to wait. Overall I enjoyed this book a lot and cant wait to read more. If you're a fan of urban fantasy, I definitely recommend this book for you.

I really loved White Trash Warlock, this first Adam Binder novel by David R. Slayton. The world-building was great and having a queer protagonist was icing on the cake. I had a little moment of worry starting Trailer Park Trickster that I wasn't going to enjoy the second book as much as I had the first book. I needn't have worried. Trailer Park Trickster picks up immediately where White Trash Warlock left off. Adam Binder is returning to Oklahoma to learn how and why his beloved aunt has died. What follows is a deep dive into the plots and themes of the series. Adam and his family learn more of their history, discover new power and new allies, and new purpose. One of the things I loved about this book was the dual narratives. As Adam investigates in Oklahoma, Vic is part of a sweeping story involving the elves and starts to deal with the anture of his relationship with Adam. The two narratives play off one another and give a greater understanding of both the characters and the worlds they live in. This was a great book and I can't wait until the next book in the series. If you like urban fantasy, definitely read these books!

White Trash Warlock was one of my favorite books of last year, and Trailer Park Trickster is a favorite of this year. David Slayton has done it again, and I am so impressed! This series is criminally underappreciated. Slayton has created some of the most well developed, interesting characters I have ever read, and a unique and enchanting magic system. LGBTQ+ representation in fantasy is incredibly important, and this is some of the best out there. I am so grateful for the opportunity to read this stunning sequel, and I can't wait to read more from this author!

I will later be reviewing this book for Geek Girl Authority, but want to get my thoughts out now. This is a great follow-up to White Trash Warlock, and a great lead-in to what I assume is a third book. Things I loved: - Spending time in Vic's head. - The expanded mythology and lore. - How climate change and human issues affected the story. - The growth of the Binder family relationships. - COMMUNICATION!!! Things I didn't like as much: - Sometimes the lack of communication between characters seemed forced as a way to create conflict. - I couldn't always follow Adam's rational. Not in a "I don't agree with what he's doing way," but in a "I don't understand why he's making this choice way" Still, would 100% recommend. Trigger warning: violence, blood, gore, homophobia, death, murder, death of parent discussed.

I loved Slayton's first book, WHITE TRASH WARLOCK and TRAILER PARK TRICKSTER is not just a worthy successor but even tighter, even more well-paced, and more well-characterized. No sophomore slump here. I read the entire book in one sitting which is not something I do often but I couldn't put it down for longer than it took to order dinner and, honestly, I want to go back and read WHITE TRASH WARLOCK again and then do the same with TRAILER PARK TRICKSTER. Yes, it was that good. Yes, everything we learned about our friends from the last book was that interesting and yes, the new members of the cast are that compelling. Yes, the deep dive into Adam's past is that fascinating and our elf friends... well, Tolkien isn't any quieter in his grave than he was after book 1. Plus, what else am I supposed to do until book 3 comes out?

This sequel absolutely lived up to the first book. First of all, the plot picked up exactly where it left off which I loved. Aunt Sue's death was heartbreaking and I felt so bad for Adam. He deserves the world and his reconciliation with Bobby and his mom was really sweet. Obviously the anger won't all go away, but I'm glad that they're making up and growing closer. Adam's character development is my favorite thing. He matured so much over the past two books and I can't wait to see his progression in the next book. Even just the way he deals with the druid problem is so different than his behavior in the first book. Honestly, all of the characters are having really good arcs, even the immortal unchanging beings are shifting slightly in their roles and ways of thinking. The supernatural aspects of this story were way more intense. I really enjoyed the worldbuilding around the Council of Races and the feud between the Elves. The Sea Elves calling for a complete geocide of humanity was unexpected, but it's such good drama. The chapters about Vic and Argent travelling and dealing with the possibility of war were amazing. After the first book I couldn't decide who I wanted Adam to end up with, but now I can firmly say that I'm Team Vic. (I only wavered once, when Silver called Adam "my love" and Adam called Silver "Parek"). I really hope that Vic and Adam end up okay, they deserve only the best and Death should stop trying to ruin their lives. I genuinely cannot recommend this book enough, I'm in love with this series and these characters.